Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Transiting YYZ

I'm headed on my first AirCanada flights in a couple of weeks SYR-YYZ-FRA. I know I clear US customs in YYZ on the return, but do I have to pass Canadian immigration on the outbound or is there a secure International transit area at YYZ? I've an hour between flights if everything is on time, but I was wondering about this step in the process.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by USITTExec
I'm headed on my first AirCanada flights in a couple of weeks SYR-YYZ-FRA. I know I clear US customs in YYZ on the return, but do I have to pass Canadian immigration on the outbound or is there a secure International transit area at YYZ? I've an hour between flights if everything is on time, but I was wondering about this step in the process.
When you arrive in YYZ you clear Canada Customs and then you go upstairs to International depatures? not sure if i understood your question?

On your return assuming the same flights you clear Canada Customs (two makeshift counters on the left hand side before the escalators) and then proceed to US customs to clear them for your trip home. Mind you, I think you still need to exit the secured area and have to re enter the secured US Transfer area if you have baggage!

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Aug 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: LH HON
Wrong. No need for canadian customs on us flights.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:07 pm

From USA to Europe via YYZ on AC:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...z_us_intl.html

From Europe to USA via YYZ on AC:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...z_intl_us.html

No, nothing like the backward US CBP procedures to have to collect bags, clear custom and re-check-in nonsense.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by daumueller
Wrong. No need for canadian customs on us flights.
All inbound intl. passengers arriving at canadian airport must clear canadian customs, regardless of their final destination.

If you're connecting I believe there is a fast track lane. (Not sure about YYZ actually, I know there's one at YUL.)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
When you come off the moving sidewalks, before the escalators to the customs hall, you will see a customs desk for international connecting passengers. Go there, that will keep you in the secure zone and lead to international departure gates.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by gabdusch
All inbound intl. passengers arriving at canadian airport must clear canadian customs, regardless of their final destination.
No. Read the link above. Intl -> US, you do not clear Canadian customs. You go directly to US customs.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:25 am

Programs: AC*SE
Passing customs when transiting YYZ headed to International is a breeze. A dedicated customs area with very little usage. It will take 30 seconds to go through immigration and get into the International zone.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Thanks folks. I am clear now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.