Bilingual Service at Canada's Airports: A Traveller's Odyssey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bilingual Service at Canada's Airports: A Traveller's Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
I have been to Canada twice in the past year (one trip to Montréal and one to Toronto), and even though I'm an Anglophone, I am bilingual and speak both of Canada's official languages. When I arrived in Toronto, I was greeted with a "Hello-Bonjour" at customs, and I responded the same way, so the customs official continued asking me the usual questions en français, even though I have an American passport. It was cool because it was almost like he thought I was partially Québécoise or something! As a Quebecophile, it's a story I love sharing and a source of pride for me (I know, I'm a big dork LOL)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The standard official CBSA greeting at the bilingual desk is Hello/Bonjour.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by tentseller
Bill 101 of Quebec basically made QC a uni-lingual province exempted from Canadian bilingualism under the "not-withstanding" and "distinct society exemption" for provincial and local governmental service.
I was talking about airports. BTW there is no legally recognized "distinct society exemption".
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by ysolde
Business will gladly serve you in English, although they are much when you respond en francais. The only (minor) issue being that Quebecois French sounds different than French French (some words evolved differently, too, just as they did in US English as opposed to British English), so it can take awhile for the ear to get attuned to the rhythms and cadences.
There are pockets of Quebec, where either they don't care which language you use or actually prefer English. For example, Shawville, QC in Pontiac County is about as English as it comes. In the Aylmer sector of Gatineau in the Outaouais, most people switch between the two languages with ease. In parts of Greater Montreal, such as Hampstead or Cote-St-Luc, you'll hear very little French. And in extreme eastern Quebec, places such as Blanc Sablon, the anglo majority sound like Newfoundlanders.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by YoYUL
There are pockets of Quebec, where either they don't care which language you use or actually prefer English. For example, Shawville, QC in Pontiac County is about as English as it comes. In the Aylmer sector of Gatineau in the Outaouais, most people switch between the two languages with ease. In parts of Greater Montreal, such as Hampstead or Cote-St-Luc, you'll hear very little French. And in extreme eastern Quebec, places such as Blanc Sablon, the anglo majority sound like Newfoundlanders.
I think I understand Quebecois French better than I understand Newfie English.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by YoYUL
While not air travel, this is CBSA related. When driving across the border at major crossings not near eastern Ontario or Quebec (e.g. Windsor or Sarnia), I love going to the ''Bilingual" line and speaking French to the ''bilingual'' agent, who in reality usually has difficulty stringing together a sentence in French. It sure makes for an easy crossing and it's quite amusing to catch them off guard like that.
Too bad my French is so bad or I would like to try this!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:20 pm

I heard from some people in the US who speak French that when they go to Montreal, locals hear a France-style accent and switch to English. I wonder why. Maybe the accent is unclear to them? I also wonder how these locals would react if the person replied they don't speak English.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I heard from some people in the US who speak French that when they go to Montreal, locals hear a France-style accent and switch to English. I wonder why. Maybe the accent is unclear to them? I also wonder how these locals would react if the person replied they don't speak English.
French in Quebec has developed differently than France, just like American English.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I heard from some people in the US who speak French that when they go to Montreal, locals hear a France-style accent and switch to English.
I'd guess they hear an English-accented French rather than a France-accented French.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I'd guess they hear an English-accented French rather than a France-accented French.
Do you mean American accented French?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Yes.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Yes.
We.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.