Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

OT: Any recommendations for SF, Napa and Sonoma?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC

Hi all - I couldn't think of a better place to ask for some hotel and dining recommendations for San Francisco and the Napa / Sonoma Valleys.

I'm taking an old friend to SFO and back in F in October as a treat - he's been going through an awful patch recently and since we are both wine snobs I thought a driving tour up there would be good for him.

I've asked the Amex Cent US concierge to try and get us a table at the French Laundry in Yountville and they promise to hit the phones 2 months ahead of our five days on the ground, but as for other dining, I'd be open to suggestions...

The only nice place I've stayed at in SF is the Fairmont, although I found it a bit staid and trad, and there was no gym or pool.

MANY THANKS!
HL
Old Jul 30, 2009, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
Rather than staying at the Fairmont Hotel in SF, consider an apartment:

http://www.fairmont.com/ghirardelli

I've stayed at the IC in Howard St (two connecting rooms) and that was excellent, loved the bar as well and it has a lap pool and a gym.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks JonWB ^
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Platinum Royal Ambassador
In April I stayed at the Mark Hopkins IC and really enjoyed my stay there. But it is a bit of a hike up there, but you can always take the cable car up there

I also did this wine tour

http://www.viator.com/tours/San-Fran.../d651-2214WINE

which I really enjoyed.

Also enjoyed this

http://www.viator.com/tours/San-Fran...651-2660SFOYOS
Old Jul 31, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Silver SPG Platinum Marriott Gold
I can recommend the St Regis, it’s certainly not traditional and has a wonderful pool, which is normally deserted. I know that there are mixed reviews about this hotel on the SPG forum however, I have stayed there 4 times and have yet to be disappointed.

They are also pretty good with upgrades in my experience (if you have elite status with SPG) – I have yet to stay in a standard room there. In any case, rates seem to be good value at the moment.

Postflight.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As is customary, we'll give this a run here before moving to the California forum

Swanhunter
Mod, BAEC
Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:09 am

Hello

We are off to SF, Napa & Sonoma in 2 weeks time - first time on BACW , we went last year and loved it so much are going back.

For SF I can recommend Mandarin Oriental but we are trying IC Howard street this time because their rates are so good.

One restaurant I can recommend is Cyrus - in Healdsburg - It is often compared to the French Laundry but is a bit cheaper and slightly easier to get in. We did book 8 weeks before hand though so we could get a good table time as when we booked 6 weeks before last time all the good times were gone . the wine matching is fantastic as well - saki with pork - who would have thought - but it went really well .
If you are planning on staying in the wine country I can recommend Healdsburg as a great base - close to the Russian River AVA and there are approx 15 tasting rooms in the town square and quite a few other good restaurants .

Have fun
Old Jul 31, 2009, 7:18 am

Good thread in the luxury travel forum about SFO today, seems to be all about the FS at the moment. I've only tried the Ritz Carlton & would advise to stay away.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: BA GGL
Why not stay in wine country?

Mrs. SFU? NFW! and I stayed at the Carneros Inn last summer. It was truly super with a fantastic concierge who got us into all - and indeed behind the scenes at some - of our choice wineries. In particular, we enjoyed Newton, Pride, Vincent Arroyo and Opus One.

Their restaurant, Farm, was good - and don't forget Taylor's Automatic Refresher in St. Helena for a very different yet hugely tasty counterpoint to the French Laundry!

We'll be in Mendoza this October, back in Sonoma in Jan so please report back as to how you get on.

Finally, another vote here for either IC in SF.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Hotels:
More of a business hotel, but well-located is the Omni. The Intercontinental has been getting good reviews, too.

Restaurants (a very small number of the many excellent restaurants in SF; and these are restaurants frequented by locals, not so often by tourists):
Delfina
Spruce
Range
Chez Panisse (in Berkeley, but this restaurant is the birthplace of "California Cuisine")
Acquerello

French Laundry is a must if you can afford it and get in.

Re wine tours, if it is just you and your friend and you can afford it (will run around $500-600/ day), get a sedan (NOT a limo) to see the wineries so you can freely sample. DUI and other traffic laws are (thankfully) very strictly enforced in wine country. Limos are not received well by most wineries, and are in fact not allowed at many of the smaller (and better) places. Many of the very best wineries require reservations, and you should make these 1-2 weeks in advance. If you haven't been to the larger wineries, it is fun to take a tour or two, but you'll really have the best experiences at the places that only take reservations. Sonoma is probably more popular with locals for wineries because most tourists want to go to Napa. The truth is, many of Northern California's best wines do not come from Napa anymore.

Have fun, and really try to visit some of the places that are "off the beaten path" -- I'm sure there are many books that will point out these places. I feel that too often tourists come to our beautiful city and region, and go to the same old places, really missing the things that make this place so special.
If you like beer, check out the Russian River Brewery; if you like wine, you must like cheese so visit one of our great local cheese makers (http://www.cacheeseguild.org/findacheesemaker.html); if you like oysters go to Hog Island Oysters up by Point Reyes.

I could go on and on and on, but -- as with most places, but ESPECIALLY here -- if you go local, you'll really have the best experiences.

EDIT: I want to add -- because this is something that a lot of people don't realize about the Bay Area -- some of the most indulgent, special experiences are going to be had at places that some in the "luxury" travel forum may turn their noses up at. Some of the places I mentioned regarding beer, cheese and wine fall into this category. Also places like Swan Oyster Depot in SF. SF is not NYC, and often the best food and wine is found in some of the most eclectic of establishments.

Last edited by AGSF; Jul 31, 2009 at 11:22 am
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks all ^

The Carneros Inn looks great, but it is pricey at 640 USD per night for their entry-level room. I was planning to splash out in SF and then find more reasonable hotels or guest houses in Napa and Sonoma, so if anyone knows of small, friendly places there then please let me know!

Thanks for the tip about reserving at the smaller wineries. I'll start doing some research now as I'm familiar with the big names and I can't stand organised tours!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SaintKaz
Hello
Welcome to FT, SaintKaz ^
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JonWB
Rather than staying at the Fairmont Hotel in SF, consider an apartment:

http://www.fairmont.com/ghirardelli

I've stayed at the IC in Howard St (two connecting rooms) and that was excellent, loved the bar as well and it has a lap pool and a gym.
Stayed here in June and it was OK... A few niggles here and there, the F&F rate made it a bit of a steal as there were 6 of us, but other than the top class staff, it didn't excel.

Oh, there's no pool either.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by HighLife
The Carneros Inn looks great, but it is pricey at 640 USD per night for their entry-level room. I was planning to splash out in SF and then find more reasonable hotels or guest houses in Napa and Sonoma, so if anyone knows of small, friendly places there then please let me know!!
You may want to think about reversing that, since SFO has some really good hotels you do not need to really splash out for. The city is the main attraction anyways and you should use the hotel for sleeping only!

The countryside may be worth a splash since some of the hotels there are destinations in their own right.

I have a friend who lives in Palo Alto. I will give her a call later today to see if she has some recommendation.

By the way: you are a good friend! ^
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AGSF
EDIT: I want to add -- because this is something that a lot of people don't realize about the Bay Area -- some of the most indulgent, special experiences are going to be had at places that some in the "luxury" travel forum may turn their noses up at. Some of the places I mentioned regarding beer, cheese and wine fall into this category. Also places like Swan Oyster Depot in SF. SF is not NYC, and often the best food and wine is found in some of the most eclectic of establishments.
Thank you so much AGSF... I'm also much happier off the beaten track although if I can get a table at the FL I will go for it! Cyrus looks great too... hadn't heard of it before, but now I look, it is in Michelin.

And thanks too henkybaby...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.