Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I agree - I drive it every time.

Outside of drive time, it should be 90 minutes tops to Mouseland.

To LAX can run into traffic on 405 around LAX - esp from mid-afternoon and mid-evening. I have done it in as little as 90 minutes, and as long as 3 hours; usually around 2 hours (from North County). Use the toll road.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

Consider staying in La Jolla Shores. You've got a lovely beach, and quick access to beautiful downtown La Jolla. I've never stayed here, but have put customers here: La Jolla Shores Hotel. It's right on the beach, next to even grander La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club. Christine Onassis used to stay here on her annual visits to San Diego.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:05 pm

If you do any driving in southern california, I'd highly recommend looking at www.sigalert.com before heading out.

It has almost-real time traffic info and, especially if there's an accident, can be quite helpful in planning routes. At the very least, it can give you a snapshot of what conditions are currently like.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:02 am

Definitely drive. With no traffic, it is a little over 2 hours from SD to Santa Monica. Disneyland from SD is about 1:45. Plan a full day for Disneyland.

I'll second (or third) the suggestion for staying on La Jolla Shores. Very nice area, right on the beach, and near some nice little shops. Mission Bay is also nice, however the area is primarily a younger crowd (college age) and alcohol is allowed on the beach and bay. While the bay side is a bit calmer, the beach side isn't really family oriented.

Enjoy your stay in SoCal!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone for all the advice. We'll definitely plan to drive up from SAN.

As for recommendations of where to stay, I've looked at the La Jolla Shores, which seems to be full for my dates.

Elsewhere in the area is the Hilton La Jolla Pines, which seems to be near to, but not on the beach. Any views on this, or any other places on the beach.

We're basically looking for somewhere nice, preferably on the beach, which we can use as a base for doing the sites, but also for spending some of the time by a pool or on the beach. So any other recommendations for that area woould be appreciated.

Going back to Coronado Island, is this not as nicea place? Or is it the traffic getting there that's a problem. I see the Marriott is not on the beach side, so not a beach resort. There's also the Hotel del Coronado - any views on this?

Other places I have seen that look nice (although not on the beach) are the La Cost Resort in Carlsbad. The Four Seasons Aviara at Carlsbad also looks nice although rather pricey. And perhaps too genteel for taking teenagers to.

Last edited by Smirnoff; Jul 20, 2007 at 6:31 am
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Thanks everyone for all the advice. We'll definitely plan to drive up from SAN.

As for recommendations of where to stay, I've looked at the La Jolla Shores, which seems to be full for my dates.

Elsewhere in the area is the Hilton La Jolla Pines, which seems to be near to, but not on the beach. Any views on this, or any other places on the beach.

We're basically looking for somewhere nice, preferably on the beach, which we can use as a base for doing the sites, but also for spending some of the time by a pool or on the beach. So any other recommendations for that area woould be appreciated.

Going back to Coronado Island, is this not as nice? Or is it the traffic getting there that's a problem. I see the Marriott is not on the beach side to not a beach resort. There's also the Hotel del Coronado - any views on this?

Other places I have seen that look nice (although not on the beach) are the La Cost Resort in Carlsbad. The Four Seasons Aviara at Carlsbad also looks nice although rather pricey. And perhaps too genteel for taking teenagers to.
The problem with Coronado is that it's 20 minutes to get off the island and then another 20 minutes to get anywhere. It is however, a very nice place to spend time. People have been complaining that the Hotel Del is a bit shabby these days, especially in some of the standard rooms. It's also a tourist destination in its own right, and not particularly peaceful looking. I would recommend either downtown or La Jolla as places to stay.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going back to Coronado Island, is this not as nicea place? Or is it the traffic getting there that's a problem. I see the Marriott is not on the beach side, so not a beach resort. There's also the Hotel del Coronado - any views on this?

Coronado is nice, it's just really isolated. If you were staying for a month to relax, I'd recommend it...but to those teenagers will surely give you lip if you stayed there.

There's really not much in Carlsbad; the city isn't anything great.

Keep in mind that San Diego beaches are a good 15-20 minute drive north of the downtown area.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:54 pm

La Costa Resort and Four Seasons Aviara are both beautiful properties. They are designed to keep you onsite, with a wide array of restaurants, sporting venues, and spa facilities. I go to the La Costa Spa several times a year and love it. It's built around an outside pool, with a full range of roman showers, saunas, steam rooms, jacuzzis, and treatment rooms.

Having said that, La Costa (the part of Carlsbad which surrounds Aviara and La Costa Hotel) is truly suburbia. Further, La Costa is north of most sightseeing. Legoland is in Carlsbad, but your teens are too old for that. It's as convenient as any hotel for Wild Animal Park, but you'll struggle with the freeway traffic for drives south to the zoo, Sea World, harbor excursions, or Cabrillo National Monument, all of which I recommend.

I like the beach areas, from Coronado to La Jolla to Del Mar to Carlsbad. All of them have small shops and charming restaurants as well as good beaches.

As for the particular Marriott that interests you, I suggest that you stop in the Marriott forum and read reviews on it. I don't know it, and am not sure of the specific location. I like Coronado Island.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott TE, Hhonors Dia
We're basically looking for somewhere nice, preferably on the beach, which we can use as a base for doing the sites, but also for spending some of the time by a pool or on the beach. So any other recommendations for that area would be appreciated.
If keeping the teenagers happy is important for your relaxation, then staying at a beach location in San Diego is the way to go. Coronado is a very nice island, but isolated. Downtown (the Gaslamp Quarter) in now quite nice, but it's a poor alternative if you're interested in a beach location. La Jolla should have everything you're looking for, but there are precious few hotels there, and the ones that are there are typically removed from the beach.

There are more choices in Mission and Pacific Beaches, just south of La Jolla. These beaches and the surrounding neighborhoods aren't as upscale as La Jolla, but they're not bad. It's a very, very beach scene: a boardwalk, skaters, bikes, volleyball, surfing, etc. Lots of tourists as well as locals. The Catamaran and the Dana are two hotels that have been the mainstays of that areas for many years, but it's been awhile since I've stayed there and can't report on the current conditions.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the advice everyone. After reading and re-reading, and changing our plans about 3-4 times, we've finally homed in on the Four Seasons Aviara for our base. We're a big fan of Four Seasons, and decided the guarantee of nice accommodations, good clean pools, and activities/games rooms for the kids was more important than being on beach. This will be fine for a base to hang out mainly at the report, but also do an excursion every day to San Diego and other places of interest. Through AMEX we got a decent FHR rate, and the guarantee of connecting rooms, and a late checkout. Also being to the north of SAN, I guess it should be a shorter drive to Anaheim on the night we leave (we'll probably stay over, and do Disneyland fresh in the morning).

I was also really surpised to check out CLD airport, and see there is a daily flight on US from PHX (where we'll be coming from), which should make the transfer from PHX even easier. And it's really cheap too.

Thanks everyone again.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Thanks for all the advice everyone. After reading and re-reading, and changing our plans about 3-4 times, we've finally homed in on the Four Seasons Aviara for our base. We're a big fan of Four Seasons, and decided the guarantee of nice accommodations, good clean pools, and activities/games rooms for the kids was more important than being on beach. This will be fine for a base to hang out mainly at the report, but also do an excursion every day to San Diego and other places of interest. Through AMEX we got a decent FHR rate, and the guarantee of connecting rooms, and a late checkout. Also being to the north of SAN, I guess it should be a shorter drive to Anaheim on the night we leave (we'll probably stay over, and do Disneyland fresh in the morning).
Have fun - it's a gorgeous hotel. You might want to see upon check-in if they'll give you a suite with extra connecting bedroom for the kids. Yes, the drive will be shorter to Disneyland & you'll miss most of the San Diego traffic mess.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 9:15 pm

I was also really surpised to check out CLD airport, and see there is a daily flight on US from PHX (where we'll be coming from), which should make the transfer from PHX even easier. And it's really cheap too.
One thing to be aware of is that this flight is in a commuter plane and operated by Mesa Airlines for US Air. Mesa does not have a good reputation, nor does it deserve one. If it were me I'd rather fly on a mainline aircraft into SAN.

Enjoy your visit!
Old Jul 28, 2007, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paubri
One thing to be aware of is that this flight is in a commuter plane and operated by Mesa Airlines for US Air. Mesa does not have a good reputation, nor does it deserve one. If it were me I'd rather fly on a mainline aircraft into SAN.

Enjoy your visit!

Thanks for the warning about Mesa. Can you be more specific - is this flight often delayed, cancelled? I see it's only once a day, PHX-CLD.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:38 am

I've taken the flight and love it. You have your bags within about 2 minutes of your arrival. You're then 5 minutes from Aviara.

The only car company with on site rental is Avis.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
Definitely check out the flight into CLD. The airport is much easier to deal with than SAN. Beware, I'm not sure about the times, but traffic will be pretty much ever present during the Summer months heading south out of Carlsbad.

As for your hotel questions. I agree with all the recommendations to stay nearer the beaches with the teens. I work literally right across the street from the Hilton La Jolla, Torrey Pines and it will be a drive (or serious hike) to anywhere so the kids will be disappointed if they want to get out on their own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.