Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 4:38 pm

Thanks! Very helpful. Rental car is sounding much better...
Old Aug 27, 2006, 4:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm going to merge this into an older thread on the same topic.

Welcome to FT, ynp247.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:54 am

Programs: OnePass
If you choose the Amtrak option, also consider that there's a city bus route that goes directly from the San Diego airport to the Amtrak station. Last time I did the trip, the bus was free, but I heard that's no longer true.

If you rent a car one-way, avoid Alamo as they have a $50 fee for one-way rentals that they often do not include in rate quotes.

You should be able to get a one-way rental from SAN to LAX for about $50, so I think that would be the cheapest, fastest, and most convenient option.

But if you have time, and really like trains, or want a little adventure, the train is a viable option.

Last edited by anthonyanthony; Aug 29, 2006 at 7:30 pm
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
agree with some of the above posts, but for additional info in the case of a non-driver, or someone under 25YO that it would be too pricey... A train from SAN to I think the Fullerton Station, connect with a bus to the Norwalk station (about a 10 minute ride max, but not sure how often) of the Green Line train, take that to the airport stop, jump on an airport shuttle and your done. a bunch of changes, but works pretty well for people with limited options and not too many bags.

The reverse works as well. This method avoids downtown LA and possible traffic snarls taking the flyaway... also the extra 20 minutes riding the train all the way to downtown from the fullerton train station.

another option is to head downtown on Amtrak, get on the blue line--take that and transfer to the green line (although I am not sure that the blue line terminates at Union station -- if not -- then red line to blue line.to green line)
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I do a one-way rental a few times a year. It's the easiest way to get from SAN to LAX without spending a lot of money. Give yourself extra time if you take the 405. Make sure you fill the car about four or five miles from the airport. It's easier that way.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Make sure you fill the car about four or five miles from the airport. It's easier that way.
I haven't rented in LAX in a while, but I always used to fill up at one of the stations on Manchester Blvd. or La Tijera Blvd. which are actually "on the way" to the major rental company facilities.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:48 am

I've done the LAX-SAN one way twice this year and have done a Hertz one way rental both times for <$60 for a full size car. It just seemed like the easiest and cheapest way for 2 people.

Don't you just love that you can't ride a Metrolink/Coaster/Trolley directly from LAX or SAN. Seems so unbelievably stupid that both airports have a commuter train that gets close but doesn't actually go to the airport. Well, I suppose the special interest's lobbys have to actually get something for their client's money

Just my $.02
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SAN to LAX - drive or fly?

Could I please ask some advice. We will be staying in SAN (after coming in from PHX) and staying a few days in the SAN area.

We want to end up at LAX, probably spending the rest of our stay in the Santa Monica area. Should we drive from SAN to Santa Monica, and how long would this take? Or should we fly into LAX (I see UA has pretty low fares o/w, about half what AA is charging), and pick up a new car from LAX? We are flexible about the time of day, but figuring on it being a Fri or a Sat.

Another twist, given we may want to visit Disneyland, does that mean it makes more sense to do the trip by car, and stop at Anaheim on the way? How long would SAN to Anaheim take by car?

Or should be just fly up from SAN to LAX, and to the Disneyland outing as a day trip from the LAX/Santa Monica area?

Finally.... a good relaxing place to stay in the SAN area for 5 days, somewhere to hang out by a pool, as well as convenient for doing the zoo and the sights. Is the Marriott Coronado Island an ok choice (we have 3 teenagers in tow), or any other recommdentions?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
You might also look at the Bahia and the La Jolla Shores - both on beaches. Since you are there 5 nights, both I believe have units with cooking facilities - save a lot on all those teen's food! I would definitely get a car since you want to go to Disneyland enroute. It's about halfway between San Diego & Santa Monica. Depending on traffic, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from San Diego. You might want to stop in Laguna Beach and Balboa Island/Peninsula too - both charming and fun beach towns the teens might like.

I'd drive up via Laguna and Newport/Balboa and stop for lunch (Ruby's on the Balboa Pier is a great choice after riding the ferry from Balboa Island to the Peninsula), then inland to Anaheim & Disneyland, where I'd book a hotel for the night so you can do both parks. Another fun option for teens is Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park - they seem to like that more than Disneyland. So, you might actually want 2 nights in the Orange County area.

Feel free to ask if you want more specifics!
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Should we drive from SAN to Santa Monica, and how long would this take?
I'd drive, especially if you are planning on hitting Disneyland. It's about 140 miles San Diego to Santa Monica, and driving should take from 2.5 to 3.0 hours by freeway (motorway) depending on traffic. The real problem would be making the trip during morning or evening commute hours on Friday (7:00-9:30 am, 3:30-7:00 pm) which would certainly add at least an hour or more.
However, you might allow more time, as this is a lovely stretch of the California coast, and you might just allow time to explore.

Another twist, given we may want to visit Disneyland, does that mean it makes more sense to do the trip by car, and stop at Anaheim on the way? How long would SAN to Anaheim take by car?
If you are going to Disneyland, it makes even more sense to drive from San Diego...it's about 2 hours from San Diego to Disneyland (again dependant on traffic)...and mostly near your route to Santa Monica. Since flying would just result in you hopping *past* Disneyland and then having to take two trips across the LA basin (the worst traffic & least senic part of the trip), I'm not sure it makes sense. Oh, and for older teens (especially boys), I'm not sure that the less well known Magic Mountian amusement park might be a better bet...as it is a rollercoaster and thrillride heaven, compared to Disneyland which is more focused on atmosphere.

a good relaxing place to stay in the SAN area for 5 days, somewhere to hang out by a pool, as well as convenient for doing the zoo and the sights. Is the Marriott Coronado Island an ok choice
While Coronado Island is lovely... Having to cross the bridge to get there can lead to traffic tie-ups... I'd look to somewhere on Mission Bay which is both central and near to the water.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Have you considered the train? It's a very pleasant and scenic ride.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 1:43 pm

Just did this trip

We just did this itinerary. SAN to MouseLand to Santa Monica.

We left SAN around 6:45 on a Friday morning and got to Disney parking structure around 8:15. We drove the carpool lane (legally) and it is very likely the vehicle I was controlling surpassed the posted speed limit. However, for the most part traffic was moving well and didn't pick up a huge amount of traffic until we entered Orange County.

The trip to Santa Monica was not as quick. We left around 3:30PM. But, I can't remember exactly how long I was on the road but it was at least 2 hours. We took US5 to US10. I don't know if this was the best route for the time of day. Most of the time was spent on US5.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Have you considered the train? It's a very pleasant and scenic ride.
Other than the fact that it doesn't go to either Disneyland or Santa Monica...

Old Jul 18, 2007, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The stretch of the 5 from San Diego to O.C. is my favorite part of any freeway in the U.S.

Have you considered staying in San Diego itself? The Grand Hyatt and Marriott have great pool areas, and the OMNI is quite nice as well. Both are within walking distance to the Gaslamp quarter where there are tons of restaurants. There's a little trolley/train thing nearby that gets you around the city.

I've also heard great things about the Tower 23 Hotel that recently opened; it's right on the beach.

Definitely rent a car instead of flying.

Also, I'm not a big Santa Monica fan...I'd either stay in Beverly Hills/Hollywood area or the South Bay area (Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo Beaches)...the Beach House in Hermosa is a great spot.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: QF Silver
As with everyone else...drive - you'll need the car to see the sights SoCal has to offer. Plan on 1.5 hrs from SAN to the tragic kingdom. Along the way you have Sea World, Legoland, Birch Aquarium, USS Midway, Balboa Park and a very pleasant drive by the ocean by Camp Pendleton.

The train is nice but what do you do when you arrive at your destination train station?

From Diz to LAX should be an hour or so with light/moderate traffic.

Around LAX you have Hollywood, Universal Studios, Griffith Park. If you like art I heartily recommend you take a day and visit the Getty Museum about 20 min North of the airport. Admission is free and parking is around $7. World class art, architecture, and views of L.A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.