Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best/cheapest/most reliable way to get from SAN-LAX or LAX-SAN" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Yup, no easy way to get from LAX/SNA to SAN on a train as the Amtrak train stations are nowhere near the airports. (Metrolink only goes as far as Oceanside.) BUR is a good option as someone else has mentioned, but I've never done it.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:42 pm

BUR is much better. Less than a mile to the train vs. 20 miles, a bus and two trains (and 45 min - 1hr) from LAX to Union Station.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:21 am

Sunday Evening Driving Time SAN-LAX

Hi,

What time should i leave San Diego(maybe the coronado area or downtown)on Sunday to catch a 21.20 (domestic) flight from LAX. I would have to drop the car off at hertz also.

I am hoping it is not LAS-LAX style sunday afternoons.

Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Hi Westers. I did the drive on Boxing Day and it took two hours to get from Downtown San Diego to LAX. Of course there were no accidents or hold ups so YMMV.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:25 am

Programs: NWA Silver
I wouldn't count on 2 hours, because that assumes no traffic, a rarity on the 405. I'd leave about 1630-1700. That should give you time to spare.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:44 am

Drove LAX-SNA-SAN last weekend...traffic going south (I-5) on Saturday afternoon was horrendous -- return on Sunday afternoon was not so bad. Just leave yourself plenty of extra time.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by climbermom
Drove LAX-SNA-SAN last weekend...traffic going south (I-5) on Saturday afternoon was horrendous -- return on Sunday afternoon was not so bad. Just leave yourself plenty of extra time.
That is the same kind of itinerary i have, i may yet stay at SNA instead.

Thank you for your replies if i make the journey i will post the time taken for future reference.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:21 am

Saturdays are always worse than Sunday. In fact, Saturdays are often worse than weekdays on the evil 405. Sunday afternoon shouldn't be too bad. To save yourself some time, take the 73 toll road. It is a shortcut that goes through Orange County, but it does cost a little more. If you have internet access, check sigalert.com for traffic information before you go.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:35 am

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
It's 130 Miles +/- from AP2AP
so about 4 hours should be safe, but on that stretch of freeway one never knows
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:43 am
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
Originally Posted by pgtravel
save yourself some time, take the 73 toll road. It is a shortcut that goes through Orange County, but it does cost a little more. If you have internet access, check sigalert.com for traffic information before you go.

This is very good advice. I think it costs around $3.50 at the moment, which is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Will you have a passenger? Being able to use the carpool lane will also help to make the journey time more predictable. I've even heard of people using craigslist to "acquire" a passenger for carpool access.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by NNH
This is very good advice. I think it costs around $3.50 at the moment, which is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Will you have a passenger? Being able to use the carpool lane will also help to make the journey time more predictable. I've even heard of people using craigslist to "acquire" a passenger for carpool access.
Oh, I forgot to mention that we used the toll road as well. Seems to make a difference.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:36 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Oh, I forgot to mention that we used the toll road as well. Seems to make a difference.
If there is no traffic on I-5 the toll saves all of about 5 minutes. If there is traffic, different game.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:02 am

I think i will definitely stay in Orange County thanks to your replies and save SAN for another weekend.

I would have been using the 73 toll. Unlike the 91 express lanes which really p!ss me off as i am unable to use them

Thank you all.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:58 am

Ground Transportation to San Diego

Other than a one way car rental, are there other means of ground transportation from LAX to San Diego? Are these same means available for the return (San Diego to LAX)?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:09 pm

Amtrak goes to San Diego from downtown LA, but you would have to get to downtown. There is a flyaway bus that goes LAX-downtown Union Station, where you can connect to Amtrak. Or you could take the shuttle from LAX to the green line and the green line to Union Station. Personally I would go with the rental car, but if you are determined not to do that your next best option is the flyaway-Amtrak combination. And yes, you can do the return as well.

RT flyaway fare is $6.00
Green line is $3.00 I believe ($1.50 each way)
Amtrak is probably around $30 each way (I am guessing)

Oh, and Welcome to FT!

Last edited by kef0913; Aug 27, 2006 at 12:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.