Consolidated "SAN Commuter Terminal - Questions & Observations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "SAN Commuter Terminal - Questions & Observations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by sfo
Will be flying Delta Connection SAN to LAX, since I would assume this is not a huge terminal, what is the suggested check-in time and based on your experience how long does it take for security clearance? Will be travelling on a Saturday afternoon.
Security takes about 5 minutes max, and like everyone else said there is nothing beyond the checkpoint. There is a pretty good submarina before security though which is good if you need to grab a quick sandwhich.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
CT is one of my favourite places to fly out--show up 20 minutes before flight time and still have enough time to do an opt-out at security.

Wish United would operate a few other RJ flights out of it.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by queenladyk
...Does the car rental shuttle pick up in front of the commuter terminal....
Yes.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Joshua
Wish United would operate a few other RJ flights out of it.
At least UA still offers CLD. Wish AA would bring back Eagle to CLD.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Yes.
With a 6 a.m. flight, how much time should one leave to drop off a car and clear security at the CT? Get that you only really need 20 minutes to clear security, so another 20 for a car drop?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
With a 6 a.m. flight, how much time should one leave to drop off a car and clear security at the CT? Get that you only really need 20 minutes to clear security, so another 20 for a car drop?
Depends where you're dropping off your car. Thursday morning the security line was backed up at 5:30am, at least 40 people in line. I'm hoping it was just people heading home from the holidays and that next week will be business as usual.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by wrxmom
Depends where you're dropping off your car. Thursday morning the security line was backed up at 5:30am, at least 40 people in line. I'm hoping it was just people heading home from the holidays and that next week will be business as usual.
Dropping off at National return.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:25 pm

National is right across from the Commuter Terminal, but you still might want to take their shuttle bus. I'd say to arrive at National @ 4:45. 20 minutes for rental return/shuttle bus ride, 20 minutes to check in luggage at the ticket counters, and 20 minutes for security. That should put you in the waiting area right when they start boarding.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by Batmanuel
National is right across from the Commuter Terminal, but you still might want to take their shuttle bus. I'd say to arrive at National @ 4:45. 20 minutes for rental return/shuttle bus ride, 20 minutes to check in luggage at the ticket counters, and 20 minutes for security. That should put you in the waiting area right when they start boarding.
No bags to be checked. We've switched out rental to a cheaper Alamo rate (via Costco) and I'm guessing it's a joint National/Alamo location? Is it walkable to the commuter terminal? If so, how long is the walk? Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:23 pm

No bags to be checked. We've switched out rental to a cheaper Alamo rate (via Costco) and I'm guessing it's a joint National/Alamo location? Is it walkable to the commuter terminal? If so, how long is the walk? Thanks!
Their building is literally right across the street, but there's no easy pedestrian route between the two. You'd have to go down and walk all the way around Rent A Car Access Road, and then back over on Harbor Drive.

In this map, the National building is the "T" on the bottom left. Depending on the bus schedules, it might be quicker to take the shuttle. There's plenty of them, and the Commuter Terminal is the first stop.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:46 pm

United Club without a Terminal 1 boarding pass?

I'm arriving into Terminal 2 (Air Canada) and connecting two hours later onto UAx in the Commuter Terminal. It seems there is no airside terminal transfer, so will TSA let me into Terminal 1 for UC access? (Trail mix and two beers...) I would only try it if the lines were short, of course.

I'm thinking of the terminal changes at LAX, where no boarding pass is a no-go merely for club access.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by BarScheeze
I'm arriving into Terminal 2 (Air Canada) and connecting two hours later onto UAx in the Commuter Terminal. It seems there is no airside terminal transfer, so will TSA let me into Terminal 1 for UC access? (Trail mix and two beers...) I would only try it if the lines were short, of course.

I'm thinking of the terminal changes at LAX, where no boarding pass is a no-go merely for club access.
Depends on how closely they look at your boarding pass for your commuter flight.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
touchy TSA

I bought a parfait (mmm!) from the airside snack bar and accidentally stepped over a painted line between rooms into the baggage claim area. (maybe 2 feet). When I turned around a second later, there was a TSA agent (who saw me walk over the line, parfait in hand) who jumped out of his well-worn stool to tell me not-so politely that I had to go around through security again.

Thank god I provided him with some semblance of diversion.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: SW A-List Preferred, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm going to be connecting at SAN tomorrow -- from commuter terminal to terminal 2. What's the best way to make the transfer? Taxi?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
I would just hop on the free red bus than connects between the three terminals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.