Reload this Page >

TexMex Mexican food in San Diego?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:48 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Looking for recommendations for -- if possible -- TexMex style Mexican food in San Diego. Will be staying near the airport without a car (and so dependent on Uber or trolley).

I suspect TexMex won't be easy to find, so for those not acquainted with this bit of heaven, "Americanized" Mexican (don't judge ) with an emphasis on fajitas, refried beans, pork tamales, etc. Not interested in "upscale" Mexican or "fusion" or in general foo-foo approaches

Ate a long time ago at one of the restaurants in Old Town and remember it being very good, but don't remember the name.

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:37 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
More SoCal Mex but near the airport is El Indio.

http://elindiosandiego.com/
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Ate a long time ago at one of the restaurants in Old Town and remember it being very good, but don't remember the name.
Casa de Pico used to be in the middle of the "Bazaar del Mundo" shopping area adjacent to the state park and was good. That area is now "Fiesta de Reyes" and has a restaurant "Casa de Reyes" in the same location, while the Bazaar del Mundo shops have moved nearby and the same owner runs the adjacent Casa Guadalajara restaurant. Casa de Pico itself is now in La Mesa.

Other Mexican restaurants in Old Town are Barra Barra Salon (same owner as Fiesta de Reyes and right outside the entrance), El Patio de Old Town, Los Locos, Old Town Mexican Cafe, Cafe Coyote, Fred's, Miguel's, and Old Town Tequila Factory (which used to be one of the chain TexMex places, either Acapulco or El Torito, I forget which). Maybe one of those ring a bell.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Head to Liberty Station market - extremely close to airport. It's a market with various food stalls. I have never had the Mexican there but I hear it is great. if you want the serious stuff take a cab or uber to the corner of Idaho St. and El Cajon Blvd.....you'll see.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thanks, everyone. Many suggestions for next visit, although I'm really thinking that "TexMex" style is just not to be had west of southeast New Mexico

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
...Casa Guadalajara restaurant
Was truly and highly mediocre.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Was truly and highly mediocre.
Sad to hear it hasn't improved. Casa de Pico back when it was in the old location was good, but it seems like "truly and highly mediocre" is actually a pretty apt description for most of the Old Town Mexican restaurants these days.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:47 am

Mexican food

Truly mediocre would definitely describe most of the food at the Mexican restaurants in Old Town. Except when it's worse than that. I'm not sure why so many people praise Old Town Mexican Cafe. Yes, they make their own tortillas. But the food is disgusting. Avoid this place. Sadly, you'd probably have a better experience at one of the chains.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:31 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm unaware of TexMex in San Diego. Tamales - yes, those are easy to find, particularly on weekends. For example, bags of 12 are sold at El Nopalito grocery store and individual ones at their cafe in Encinitas. Mostly field workers eat at the cafe. Food is to their taste, not mine, though I do enjoy the tamales and chips/salsa. La Especial Norte in Leucadia has excellent tamales and sopes but not fajitas. I don't consider them TexMex. Las Olas in Cardiff has good Mexican. It has a good taco platter. My favorite fajitas used to be found at Chevys in Del Mar. It's a chain restaurant that sadly has closed.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 31, 2017 at 3:40 am
Old May 31, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Forget Tex-Mex & go to the Crack Shack in Little Italy, very close to the airport!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.