Wiki Posts
Search

Yosemite 2016/17 closures.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Yosemite 2016/17 closures.

Effective immediately, the Tioga Pass Road (Highway 120) through Yosemite and the Glacier Point Road within the Park are closed for the season. In addition, winter snow conditions are in effect throughout the Park. Chain restrictions apply, even in the Valley.

The chain restrictions could be lifted if the weather improves but it would be on a day-to-day basis as winter conditions can descend on the Park at any time.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chain restrictions come and go regularly in the Sierra, although I think the park service tends to be more conservative than Caltrans. Here is the link for highway conditions: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/mtnhwys.htm

In Death Valley, people at the visitor center lie about road conditions all the time, claiming things to be worse than they really are. I strongly suspect the same is true at Yosemite.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
... In Death Valley, people at the visitor center lie about road conditions all the time, claiming things to be worse than they really are. I strongly suspect the same is true at Yosemite.
Liability concerns abound everywhere.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't care what the park service says, I always have chains in my trunk in the mountains in the winter. Big Bear, Mammoth, Yosemite, etc.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I don't care what the park service says, I always have chains in my trunk in the mountains in the winter. Big Bear, Mammoth, Yosemite, etc.
Wise lady. ^
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: MP
In Death Valley, people at the visitor center lie about road conditions all the time, claiming things to be worse than they really are.
Well, better this than the other way around.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by pon18n
Well, better this than the other way around.
Better still that they be honest!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: MP
Better still that they be honest!
The honest answer is that nobody knows. I've heard that someone bust 3 tires despite driving 4 wheelers and carrying spares, but at the same time someone drove the same road just fine with a sedan.

Because you can't always guarantee what kind of vehicle condition a random stranger might be driving, it's probably best to be on the cautious side.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pon18n
The honest answer is that nobody knows. I've heard that someone bust 3 tires despite driving 4 wheelers and carrying spares, but at the same time someone drove the same road just fine with a sedan.

Because you can't always guarantee what kind of vehicle condition a random stranger might be driving, it's probably best to be on the cautious side.
The honest answer, then, would be to describe the range of recent datapoints. For example, "That road is passable by a sedan in the best conditions, but it's a bit torn up right now after the rain 3 weeks ago. People in 4x4s and pick-up trucks say they're getting through it okay."

That assumes, though, that the person giving the answer wants to be honest and to support rational, informed decision-making. Far more often a park employee giving the answer is acting instead to minimize their own effort and risk. Telling people, "Don't go" precludes needing to answer additional questions. It also reduces the chance that staff will have to expend time, effort, and risk rescuing some dumb-dumb who heard only "It's open" and didn't listen to any of the cautions.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
January 5, 2017

Yosemite National Park braces for possible closure as storm closes in

A heads-up if you’re planning a trip to Yosemite National Park this weekend: Park officials say they’re actively monitoring a storm that could cause flooding in the park.

The decision depends on the water levels in the Merced River, which runs through the Yosemite Valley. If the water reaches 10 feet, the park will see closures.

<snip>

The park will notify the public if any closures occur. You can monitor their decision on their website or follow them on Twitter for more info.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

We actually have flash flood watches and warnings all along the east side of the Valley, at the base of the Sierra foothills. Mountain areas are at much higher risk. Until this storm system is done I would not recommend any mountain travel that can be avoided.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All roads in to the valley closed as of 5p Jan 6
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:43 am
Original Poster

And now, the main highway into Sequoia National Park from Visalia (SR 198) has been closed at the Foothills Entrance Station due to flash floods. It will undoubtedly reopen after this storm event but that might be well over a week.

Go to the coast, folks. Our mountains are temporarily unavailable.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:35 am

It's Sunday night and Yosemite Valley is still very, very closed.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Go to the coast, folks. Our mountains are temporarily unavailable.
And it's mudslide season on the coast. At the moment, part of Highway 1 and part of Route 17 are temporarily closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.