Death Valley: what should we see

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Death Valley: what should we see

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It took that incident for me to learn better. Hopefully the same is true for the Tesla folks you encountered.
Ha! Hopefully, though I imagine they may fall into the "more money than sense" category (and would be happier hanging out in our "Luxury Hotels" stomping grounds).

I will say, again, how appreciative and grateful they were -- and it's a story, that's for sure.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Reviving this thread as we are planning a visit in late-December. Hopefully the roads will not be flooded. We are planning to stay at the Furnace Creek Inn/Ranch. Wondering if anyone has stayed here since the renovation. Also considering on of the horse ride tours.

I am surprised I did not see more print on the Racetrack. This was perhaps our favorite spot in the park though unfortunately it is only accessible by a rock covered road that is extremely unpleasant to drive (understatement). However we were fortunate to escape with no flat tires.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I got curious as to the current state of Scotty's Castle, and learned that it is still closed until at least 2022. https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/histo...tys-castle.htm

(Luckily for me, I visited it a number of years ago on a multi-day stay at Death Valley. Must have been about 1995 or 1996.)
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Reviving this thread as we are planning a visit in late-December. Hopefully the roads will not be flooded. We are planning to stay at the Furnace Creek Inn/Ranch. Wondering if anyone has stayed here since the renovation. Also considering on of the horse ride tours.

I am surprised I did not see more print on the Racetrack. This was perhaps our favorite spot in the park though unfortunately it is only accessible by a rock covered road that is extremely unpleasant to drive (understatement). However we were fortunate to escape with no flat tires.
I think a normal car that doesn't have particularly low ground clearance can make it to the Racetrack if driven slowly and cautiously enough. It'\s about 13 miles and would likely take 90 minutes each way minimum. However, do not turn left at Teakettle Junction as that road is definitely 4WD only. Also, do not continue on past the Racetrack as the road is not only 4WD, it is very, very challenging 4WD.

I love the Racetrack and have been several times. It was my college geology instructor, the late Prof Bob Sharp, who figured out how the rocks move. There are fun stories about the area. Charles Manson was arrested because he and the family decided to trash a grader that was parked for the night along the Racetrack road. My cutest visit was the time I pulled up and was only the second car there. The first consisted of a guy and his girlfriend and being alone, he was taking nude pictures of her next to the Grandstand as I drove up. LOL

Expect to be back at Furnace Creek again just after Xmas. Maybe we'll run into each other.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I love the Racetrack and have been several times. It was my college geology instructor, the late Prof Bob Sharp, who figured out how the rocks move.
Uh, Sharp, et. al. documented the movement of rocks and boulders but made different conclusions as to how they move. It wasn't until folks such as Richard Norris and his team this decade actually observed what made the rocks move - panels of ice.

David
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Uh, Sharp, et. al. documented the movement of rocks and boulders but made different conclusions as to how they move. It wasn't until folks such as Richard Norris and his team this decade actually observed what made the rocks move - panels of ice.

David
Thanks, didn't know, and Bob never mentioned it to me when we spoke -- although that may have been before the subsequent article you quote.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 10:27 pm

Death Valley update: everything is open except Scotty's Castle (and the road to it) with one amusing exception: a tough, almost impossible, 4WD road heading east from the Panamint Valley into Jail Canyon is closed due to the park service finding a marijuana farm there!

Even Titus Canyon is open except during stormy periods. This is a stunning day trip but inexperienced dirt road drivers should probably only take it if they have a high-centered vehicle.

Will be at the Furnace Creek Inn over New Year's so will add any relevant new findings.

OK, I'm back. Stayed in an original room at the Inn. The casitas (same price as the room I had) looked nice from the outside, might well try one of them next time. The restaurant at the Inn no longer seems to have a real chef; their dinner menu main dish choices are limited to five or six options, all of which are just grilled or maybe even reheated frozen pasta. A $19 Caesar salad appetizer was an embarrassment. Servers are still good.

Everything at Furnace Creek is a ripoff, but then it always has been. If you plan to make your own meals, buy food before arriving; the selection of grocery items at the "general store" is way down from what it used to be and priced at roughly double what they sell for elsewhere. Stovepipe Wells is a better option, particularly if your car takes regular fuel.

Titus Canyon was closed when I was there allegedly "due to winter weather." Most everything else was open except the road to Dante's View was closed on one of the days after a storm. It's still an amazing place to visit.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jan 5, 2022 at 6:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.