Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Best Napa winery for non-drinkers (yes really)? Best bottle to buy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:14 am
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold

Scenario: Guests from abroad. They want to see world famous Napa.

Irony: No one in this party drinks. (Including me - hence I'm a Napa newbie.)

So paying $$$ for tasting n of the world's best wine probably will not be useful.

I think we'll probably visit 1 (or 2 AT MOST) wineries and just go to some fancy restaurants.

Any recommendations for a winery that has:
1. An interesting (educational) tour?
2. Beautiful scenery /architecture?
3. Open mid-week (Wed?)

Bonus question: Being that this party knows nothing about wines, but friends/relatives do - what are some interesting bottles to pick up as gifts to bring back? (I've heard that Costco sometimes has better/rarer/wines at better prices. Is that true?)

Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Castello di Amorosa.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Artessa for the architecture and art. Hess for the modern art gallery attached to it--especially the flaming typewriter. Quintessa for the architecture and tour as it is a gravity flow winery.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:30 am

As far as what wine to pick up, one thing to remember is that you can usually get wines at the winery that are not available in stores. That said, I like Groth Vineyards Cab (occasionally available in stores and in good restaurants) and Domaine Carneros sparkling (some varietals available in stores, some only at the winery). Domaine Carneros is also a beautiful chateau (modeled after the Tattinger chateau in France, since they are owned by Tattinger). And, they have non alchoholic sparkling that is pretty tasty.

The architecture of the Castello di Amarosa was interesting (really is a castle), but I wasn't impressed by the wine or the tasting room/store. Another interesting place would be Stirling Vineyards for the tram ride to the top. Good views and interesting architecture.

Lunch in Yountville at the french bistro (name escapes me right now, but google it). Good food at not unreasonable prices.

There are also several state parks in the area (Jack London lived here).

One other tip, plan your trip for all right hand turns. You do not want to try to turn left coming out of any winery. Trust me on this. If traffic is heavy, as usual, you'll never get out. (There will be at least one left at the "top" of your tour, but make it a left from the road into the property, then right coming back out and back down the road.)
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:02 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas so far!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Domain Chandon does a great guided tour, and they also sell food in their tasting room. The guided tour shows some of the equipment for making their champagne as well as some history.

Del Dotto has a great cave tour and is beautiful. There's two locations, so make sure to go to the one with the great cave tour.

Yountville at Bouchon for lunch is great. But there's tons of great places to eat.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:52 am
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roknroll
Domain Chandon does a great guided tour, and they also sell food in their tasting room. The guided tour shows some of the equipment for making their champagne as well as some history.

Del Dotto has a great cave tour and is beautiful. There's two locations, so make sure to go to the one with the great cave tour.

Yountville at Bouchon for lunch is great. But there's tons of great places to eat.
I've made some reservations in Yountville for dining. Thanks!

This has been an educational thread!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:37 am
Suspended

Clos Pegase for a concept of the sort of ego it takes to build a monument to one's self. It defines the term "edifice complex". Actually, the fact that nobody in the party drinks wine might make this place more of a worthwhile visit than it normally is.

Last edited by lhgreengrd1; Jul 19, 2014 at 8:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.