SFO - Yosemite visit assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO - Yosemite visit assistance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by sashcat
sorry to hijack your thread, but I wanted to ask a question regarding my upcoming travels next month, and there seems to be a few of you commenting at the moment who might know the answer or can advise. . .

We are flying LHR > LAS ( BA 1st class, Amex companion voucher ) at the end of feb, and the plan was to spend a few days in Vegas and then hire a car and drive to Heavenly ski resort, lake Tahoe, via route 95, for a few days then drive back.

Do you think this is wise? will the roads be ok this time of year (end of Feb?)

thanks for your help
We did the reverse a few years ago in April, and had to go the long way round due to passes still being closed.

We were going SFO > South Lake Tahoe > Yosemite > Vegas > PHX. We couldn't do the quicker route from South Lake Tahoe to the Park, and from Yosemite we had to go through Barstow to Vegas.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zafiragirl
The difficulty in using Mammoth as a base is that in May (when the OP is travelling), it's very likely that the Tioga Pass (the 120 highway across the Sierras and into Yosemite from the eastern side) will still be closed due to the winter snows.

We've been there in June some years and had to go the long way around, via Reno, as in years of heavy snowfall (and Mammoth has seen 6 feet this week alone), all the passes were closed. I'd expect this summer to be a late opening for sure.

A day visit to Yosemite is certainly doable IMO, but I'd investigate an organised trip, where someone else does the driving so you can make the most of your limited time there and have a snooze on the way back.
Slightly OT but we are back in Mammoth in a month and are currently wavering between driving from SFO and flying. How long does it take to get there via Tahoe? If we fly we will have a 3.5 hour plus layover at SFO anyway and if the weather is bad there is presumably a good chance that flights will be delayed or cancelled (I know I have been stuck in DEN previously due to snow at ASE preventing us flying).

I have driven from SFO to South Lake Tahoe and back previously and even with snowfall it didn't take anything like the 4 hours quoted. So unless the drive between Tahoe and Mammoth is particularly arduous the 6 hours quoted by Google Maps seems reasonably generous.

The plan would be to dump the hire car at MMH so it would only be a one way drive at most.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
It's a good 3/3.5 hour drive from Reno to Mammoth, in good weather conditions. I reckon 6 hours as estimated by Google is probably right on the money...

Very jealous that you're going back again so soon. My brother is the winter sports director there
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:25 pm

While it is potentially more costly I'm a big proponent of staying in the park. You will spend a lot of time driving back and forth to your room otherwise. I'd suggest you plan to stay overnight and aim for the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls which is the mid-priced option. Basic hotel though unfortunately priced more expensively. Plan to arrive mid-afternoon. Enjoy the park and the sunset. In the morning you will have time to see some more before you get back into the car for the drive home.

If you are at all into photography be sure to visit the Ansel Adams gallery which is near the visitor's center in Yosemite Village.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:54 pm

Non-nonRev's suggestion is the best! Having been there, I would not miss going up to Glacier point.

And having driven all that distance from SFO, wouldnt it be a shame not to visit Mariposa Grove to see the giant sequoias trees nearby?

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Having been born and raised just 60 miles from the South Entrance to Yosemite (Fish Camp), I'm in complete agreement with COOLIO's plan. You could enjoy a morning and early afternoon in the San Francisco area, then depart in the afternoon (before the afternoon commute traffic builds).I would either head to Fresno (lots of moderately-priced lodging and eating options) or go on to Oakhurst (California State Highway 41 directly connects Fresno to Oakhurst to the South Entrance).

Having had a good night's rest, get an early start and spend the full day in the Park. When ready to leave, exit via the West Portal (State Highway 140), which will lead to Merced and eventually back to the Bay Area.

I think that this approach gives you maximum enjoyment within your limited time frame, and it also lets you see the southern section of the park, which many people miss because they both enter and exit the park via Highway 140.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've always wanted to visit Yosemite and the sequoias and one day hope to do so.
Been doing some research and the accommodation in the park looks not only unexciting for the rip off prices one is expected to pay but there's not much of it either.....bit of a monopoly there. Looks as if I need to do more research regarding the accommodation side of things.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've always wanted to visit Yosemite and the sequoias and one day hope to do so.
Been doing some research and the accommodation in the park looks not only unexciting for the rip off prices one is expected to pay but there's not much of it either.....bit of a monopoly there. Looks as if I need to do more research regarding the accommodation side of things.
Yes it is a monopoly. Hence high prices for very low standard. Only acceptable option is the Ahwahnee. If I go back, I'll stay there for just 1 night and accept the exorbitant price tag.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by jbjbts
I'd suggest you plan to stay overnight and aim for the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls which is the mid-priced option. Basic hotel though unfortunately priced more expensively.
I must offer an alternative view here. Stayed at the Lodge@Falls for two nights last year. Resembled a communist holiday camp from circa the 50's, with wooden hut construct and without any modernisation/furniture replacement/deep cleaning since around that time.

Seriously, sleep in your car and take a chance with the bears rather than the lodge... (OK maybe not so serious)
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
Yes it is a monopoly. Hence high prices for very low standard. Only acceptable option is the Ahwahnee. If I go back, I'll stay there for just 1 night and accept the exorbitant price tag.
Same in most the national parks, like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon etc. For the same cost as 1 night in the Ahwahnee you could probably book 3 in Curry Village.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I make the drive from SF to that part of California frequently. It will take you at least 4-1/2 hours just to get to the park.

US distances are a lot further than they look to Europeans.

Take at least 2 days. It is a beautiful site.

If anyone wants to know about reasonably priced hotels along highway 99 (Modesto, Merced, Fresno, etc), let me know.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I make the drive from SF to that part of California frequently. It will take you at least 4-1/2 hours just to get to the park.

US distances are a lot further than they look to Europeans.

Take at least 2 days. It is a beautiful site.
Where apart from the rip off park hotels would be the best place to stay?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Try the town of Oakhurst outside of the park - still a bit of a drive, but generally significantly cheaper.

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago, it was just fine. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Yeah, I second (or third ... forth) the previous opinions that 1 day is way too short for a visit. Stay at least a night or 2 to give you a good feel for Yosemite.

To give you a little more detail about how a day trip will feel like. I live in the SF area on the peninsula. In all these many years, I have visited Yosemite over 20+ times. 2 of these have been "day" trips where I leave home in the morning and then come back same night. For the last hour or so into the Yosemite valley (or first hour out), the road (120) is pretty narrow and windy. Not something you can drive too fast, especially in the dark or in questionable weather. I have also hit traffic on weekends going in and out. For both of those day trips, I was completely wiped out after driving a total of 8 to 10 hours in that day.

Yosemite NP is just to beautiful a place to do a quick in-and-out.

Couple other things. If you don't want to stay in the valley, apart from the usual portal motels and lodges, there is also the Yosemite Bug Retreat on the south entrance road (HWY 140) you can consider. Part hostel, part eco lodge with private rooms, part new age hangout ...

On HWY 120, consider stopping at the Priest Station Cafe (top of Old Priest Grade Rd) for a meal. The view is gorgeous and it is now finally back in the hands of the same family that gave that road its name.

Cheers,
SF
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:41 pm

Having done this drive a few times, I'd agree with the advice given by Non-NonRev regarding entering from the south and making your way north. I always began by driving up from Fresno, but driving up from Merced or Madera would be the better choice, driving down to either the night before. Given my druthers, and depending upon the whole route, I'd probably start with a morning drive from Merced to Oakhurst.

The area around Hetch-Hetchy is also particularly beautiful, but not often visited. The roads around there are rather steep though—one section even gave the V-8 in one of my past cars a bit of a tussle.

Even if you only spend one full day in the park, you could get a lot done by arranging to stay in the general area the night before plus the night of your drive. Hotel costs will be far less than in the SF area as well, plus you wouldn't want to add a four-hour drive back to The City after touring Yosemite all day.

If you're comfortable with driving in the U.S., I'd pass on the bus tours. Something may strike your fancy where you'd like to stay longer without being hustled along to the next stop. One of the best-known motorcoach operators, Gray Line, charges $145 per person for a 14-hour one-day tour, half of which will be taken up in transit.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Given my druthers,
Good info but what are "druthers"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.