one-way intra-California car rental: discount code?

Subscribe
In a couple months, over a long weekend, I need to pick up a car at LAX and, after stopping in Palm Springs, return the car to SAN. Somewhat to my surprise, the majors really don't want me to do this -- charging "crazy" rates well over $100/day. As you all know, car rental prices in California tend to be quite reasonable.

I'm holding a rez with Fox, although I'd much prefer a major car rental company. Also, Fox is going to charge me a $70 drop fee, so while their daily rate is cheap (about $25) this is still no bargain.

Has anyone used a code with one of the majors that makes this type of one-way California rental affordable?

Thanks.
Try Thrifty.com and enter corporate #004M001010. This is the Orlando Magicard code (Yes, I said Orlando) and amazingly works in alot of places outside Florida. You should be able to get your one-way rental for $45/day or less with no drop off fee.
Quote: Try Thrifty.com and enter corporate #004M001010. This is the Orlando Magicard code (Yes, I said Orlando) and amazingly works in alot of places outside Florida. You should be able to get your one-way rental for $45/day or less with no drop off fee.
Thanks. Oddly, Thrifty doesn't allow one-way rentals from LAX to SAN. Their sister company Dollar does, but I can't seem to find a code that reduces their nasty $150 drop charge.
Quote: Thanks. Oddly, Thrifty doesn't allow one-way rentals from LAX to SAN. Their sister company Dollar does, but I can't seem to find a code that reduces their nasty $150 drop charge.
Try CD#oi1054 with Dollar and see if that gets the rate down.
Quote: Try CD#oi1054 with Dollar and see if that gets the rate down.
Thanks. Yeah, I found that one from the Thrifty link (it's the Dollar Magicard discount), but no dice.

Fortunately, though, I started going through some of the tried and true flyertalk codes and voila -- the Avis priceline code (A686200) gets it down to about $26/day for a midsize, no drop off fee. It's amazing what these codes can do for you when you run into nosebleed published prices! I'd like to be even "piggier" and add a coupon, but alas my rental is in 2011 and I can't find a free weekend day that works on Avis one-way next year.

I'll revisit this later, but at least I now know the rental is "doable" without a nasty surcharge, and I can make my travel plans accordingly.

BTW, I see LAX is now catching up with other airports on the ridiculous car rental fees. There's a $10 pax facility fee, an extra 10% airport service fee, etc. -- adding about 35% to the cost of the rental. I might consider going off-airport next time, especially if I were keeping the car longer.
I've evaded some airport fees by renting for one day at the airport, then returning the car to an off-airport site and immediately renting it again! This takes about 30-40 minutes and eliminates the taxes that are percentage based after the first day.
Quote: I've evaded some airport fees by renting for one day at the airport, then returning the car to an off-airport site and immediately renting it again! This takes about 30-40 minutes and eliminates the taxes that are percentage based after the first day.
Yeah, that can be a worthwhile option, particularly on a longer rental.

The problem can be that the airport rates are sometimes lower than the neighborhood rates, so even with the tax savings, there's no discount. But like most things associated with car rental pricing, it's unpredictable. I always check it when I feel I'm getting "ripped off" on taxes with an airport rental.
how do I use to Avis priceline code?
Quote: Fortunately, though, I started going through some of the tried and true flyertalk codes and voila -- the Avis priceline code (A686200) gets it down to about $26/day for a midsize, no drop off fee. It's amazing what these codes can do for you when you run into nosebleed published prices! I'd like to be even "piggier" and add a coupon, but alas my rental is in 2011 and I can't find a free weekend day that works on Avis one-way next year.
Thanks for this info on the Avis discount -- I am looking to rent a car for the same purpose in California, but I'm having trouble using this code. Do you mind telling me exactly where to input the code to get the deal you got?

Thanks!
Quote: Thanks for this info on the Avis discount -- I am looking to rent a car for the same purpose in California, but I'm having trouble using this code. Do you mind telling me exactly where to input the code to get the deal you got?

Thanks!
Put the code where it asks for the AWD.

BTW, if you google this code, you'll see some discussion of folks combining it with a coupon. I looked at doing that with my rez, but the daily rate is now higher, so I wouldn't get any savings -- so I left the rez alone.

But you might want to give it a try. Two discounts are better than one!
Quote: Put the code where it asks for the AWD.

BTW, if you google this code, you'll see some discussion of folks combining it with a coupon. I looked at doing that with my rez, but the daily rate is now higher, so I wouldn't get any savings -- so I left the rez alone.

But you might want to give it a try. Two discounts are better than one!
thanks. i believe i entered the code correctly, but it didn't give any discount. i guess that AWD code has expired...
Quote: thanks. i believe i entered the code correctly, but it didn't give any discount. i guess that AWD code has expired...
Not sure why it didn't work for your rental parameters, but I tried it yesterday for an LAX-SAN rental and the code is definitely still valid.
Check out the services of Roadrunner shuttle at www.rrshuttle.com. I think they serve whole USA. Check if they are. I think they provide cheap prices.

Cheers!!!!