Wiki Posts
Search

Need suggestions for spas in California

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Need suggestions for spas in California

I'm not talking about nice resorts that happen to have a spa - such as Montage or Bacara - but places that are dedicated to the "spa culture", such as Canyon Ranch or Miraval. Are there any in California, especially along the coast?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Ojai Valley Inn and Spa?
http://www.ojairesort.com/

Carmel Valley Ranch Resort?
www.carmelvalleyranch.com
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither are along the coast, and I wouldn't say that Carmel Valley is into spa culture either (I have no personal experience with the Ojai Valley Inn).

The FS in Westlake Village has pretensions to the title but it's a LOOOOOONNNNG way from being anything like Canyon Ranch.

Haven't ever been there, but what about the Golden Door in Escondido?
http://www.goldendoor.com/
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:23 pm

Not to nitpick, but I don't think that the Golden Door would be considered "on the coast" anymore so than the others. Is the OP looking for something right on the beach?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Not to nitpick, but I don't think that the Golden Door would be considered "on the coast" anymore so than the others. Is the OP looking for something right on the beach?
Yeah I agree, but at least it would be a spa. Of the luxury chain hotels I know along the coast -- FS, Ritz, Park Hyatt -- none of them are really spa-focussed places.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm asking for some friends. I don't think right on the beach is an issue - just not in Arizona.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:23 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
La Costa in Carlsbad is pretty nice.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Not along the coast, but not too far away, the Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa is well regarded by friends of mine. Right in the heart of wine country
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
IIRC (corrections welcome), the FS Westlake Village spa ("Longevity Center") is more medically/lifestyle-change focused, as opposed to being a pure spa. I'm not sure what the percentage of focus is (aesthetic treatments versus medically-focused treatment/programs).

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jan 20, 2011 at 8:56 pm Reason: Re-edit a fragmented sentence
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by l'etoile
La Costa in Carlsbad is pretty nice.
I live locally, and I go with girlfriends for a day every summer. I can't speak to room quality, but the spa is outstanding. I love the fact that they have extensive outdoor facilities. One treatment entitles you to full use of the facilities for the day. The place is beautifully landscaped, and is a feast for the eyes as well as pleasure for the body. They have a small spa cafe and outdoor tables, or food can be brought to you if you are sunning.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
IIRC (corrections welcome), the FS Westlake Village spa ("Longevity Center") is more medically/lifestyle-change focused, in addition to being a than a pure spa. I'm not sure what the percentage of focus is (aesthetic treatments versus medically-focused treatment/programs).
I have stayed at this hotel a few times. Although admittedly I did not seriously try the "Longevity Center," I did explore its activities and compare them to Canyon Ranch, where I also go. It really did seem that the FS version here was more about massages, beauty treatments, and fluff and less about medical/lifestyle-change. Sort of the Hollywood version of the real thing.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:28 am

theranchmalibu.com ?

Might be a little hardcore for some, but maybe your friends would be interested in at least perusing the site.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone - I've passed on the suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.