Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 28, 06, 12:06 pm   #1
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6
Shipping cross-country tips needed

Thanks for response to my earlier question regarding loding during my cross-country trip.

A side-track question: since I am moving from NY to CA, I need to ship quite a bits of stuff (primarily books, desktop, CDs, etc approx 15 boxes- no furniture) cross the country. Wondering if you have any tips on shipping inexpensively. USPS? UPS? Fedex? Moving company?

Any info. is highly appreciated.
backtoCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 06, 11:39 pm   #2
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: NW
Posts: 37
Check the 'printed matter' rate at the postoffice to ship your books - it's a wonderful deal for sending books internationally.
moxiefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 06, 11:50 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BLI
Programs: National Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 1,371
if you have over ~100lbs, I would recommend going with Roadway or another freight carrier. At that point they will generally get cheaper than UPS or another courrier. You can drop boxes off at a Roadway depot (they are in decently sized cities and airports often) and they will put it on a skid, shrink wrap it, and load it on a truck. It then travels by truck to your destination.
Edit: Read about the books. I have a family member who is a major used book dealer. He always sends his pickups by Roadway if they are over 100lbs. Very reliable and safe, even if you only have a few boxes.
fs2k2isfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 06, 1:43 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Programs: AAGld 1MM, DL FO, SPGGld, PCAmb, MrtGld, NatExec
Posts: 1,140
I moved from MD to CA three years ago. Pack all the books and other media up and send it book rate at the post office. For the rest of the stuff, either use Roadway or find a freight forwarder in your area (if you want them to pick it up). A freight forwarder in my area arranged small truck pick up on both ends -- handled the packing and palletizing of my stuff -- and did it for about 1/2 of what the moving companies wanted. Only downside is that is took a week longer than expected (snowstorm + it had to wait a few extra days for them to have a full consolidated load).
dbuckho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 06, 9:34 pm   #5
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6
Question How can I find "freight forwarder"

Thank you, dbuckho! So how can I find "freight forwarder" in my area? I am in upstate New York. Thank again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckho
I moved from MD to CA three years ago. Pack all the books and other media up and send it book rate at the post office. For the rest of the stuff, either use Roadway or find a freight forwarder in your area (if you want them to pick it up). A freight forwarder in my area arranged small truck pick up on both ends -- handled the packing and palletizing of my stuff -- and did it for about 1/2 of what the moving companies wanted. Only downside is that is took a week longer than expected (snowstorm + it had to wait a few extra days for them to have a full consolidated load).
backtoCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 06, 1:50 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MSP
Programs: NWA Silver
Posts: 106
Don't go with UPS. I did and it was a FORTUNE!!!
NWA_via_MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 06, 2:31 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: AA, Aeroplan, Qantas
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA_via_MSP
Don't go with UPS. I did and it was a FORTUNE!!!

I used UPS Ground a few years ago from upstate NY to NYC, and it was ~$20 for a box of books & papers or a large box of clothes. I have no idea whether it's similar prices for across the country.

Also check craigslist - people are often driving cars/vans and might be willing to transport boxes.
laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 06, 5:16 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arden, NC (AVL, GSP, CLT)
Programs: First TWA, then NWA, now DL PM (for now) - Hilton, Marriott, IHG, M.P. Flying Circus
Posts: 750
As another comparison, check Greyhound - http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

I have not used them, but they may be cheaper than UPS or Roadway (or they may not).
__________________
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. - Robert Louis Stevenson
LostInAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 06, 4:26 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MSY/AEX
Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiefr
Check the 'printed matter' rate at the postoffice to ship your books - it's a wonderful deal for sending books internationally.
Even domestically.. the rate is called "Media Mail". It's extremely cheap, but only for books and magazines.

Last time I moved cross country, what I didn't pack in suitcases and fly out, I shipped USPS parcel post and media mail.
oopsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 06, 7:41 am   #10
LGA
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; DL MM; VS; BA/QF; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Posts: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsz
Even domestically.. the rate is called "Media Mail". It's extremely cheap, but only for books and magazines.

Last time I moved cross country, what I didn't pack in suitcases and fly out, I shipped USPS parcel post and media mail.
Suitcases! Will you have friends visiting you who would be willing to check a suitcase or box (or two) of your stuff for you?

Also, you might look into UPS or FedEx ground rates if you (or a friend) works for a big company which gets a significant discount.

Oh, and if you know someone who works for JetBlue, I know their employees get a big discount for FedEx, but it might only be for express service and not ground...
__________________
"Without obsession, you can accomplish little." - unknown
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 06, 4:45 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Union City, CA
Programs: Nobody at this point :(
Posts: 133
USPS theft

My parents just moved from LA to Houston and they shipped a couple of boxes via USPS parcel post. The boxes arrived today but one of them had some of its content stolen: 2 embroidery paintings, some framed pictures and our diplomas. Even weirder was the fact that there were strange clothes stuffed into that box. Even though these objects are not expensive, they definitely have high emotional values. Is there anything we can do? Do you know how we can file a complaint or force them to open an investigation?

Thanks!
otamxuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 06, 4:58 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Programs: UA
Posts: 72
I recently returned to California from Tennessee, where I had an older iMac I needed to bring along. I brought it to a FedEx Kinko's where they packed and shipped the computer for a total of about $50. If you're not in a rush, ground shipping is the least expensive. I also had it insured. FedEx is definitely the way to go for shipping fragile/important items because its safer and they know how to pack your specific items.

There really is no inexpensive way to move cross country. I think the "cheapest" way to move is get Penske truck and drive yourself.
utvolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 06, 10:47 am   #13
LGA
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; DL MM; VS; BA/QF; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Posts: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolunteer
I recently returned to California from Tennessee, where I had an older iMac I needed to bring along. I brought it to a FedEx Kinko's where they packed and shipped the computer for a total of about $50. If you're not in a rush, ground shipping is the least expensive. I also had it insured. FedEx is definitely the way to go for shipping fragile/important items because its safer and they know how to pack your specific items.

There really is no inexpensive way to move cross country. I think the "cheapest" way to move is get Penske truck and drive yourself.
Or if you have very little stuff, you can drive a Hertz car one-way. I enjoyed having a Volvo wagon for moving half my stuff a few summers ago!
__________________
"Without obsession, you can accomplish little." - unknown
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 06, 6:38 pm   #14
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: 33.9929N 83.4207W
Programs: DL Skymiles
Posts: 646
Also try freightquote.com. They do a sidestep.com type comparison of freight quotes. Since you have so many boxes a pallet price through them may be the cheapest route.
The Juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 06, 7:02 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dunedin, FL
Posts: 923
Moving Companies: Any Stand-outs in Washington DC Area?

Sorry to hijack this thread but can anyone make strong recommendations for long-haul reputable companies in the Washington D.C. area? It appears everyone cautions against the high rates of the big name companies. Any other recommendations are welcomed.
XFed2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:14 pm.