shoestring RTW trip guidance please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

shoestring RTW trip guidance please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:58 pm

Quite a trip!

I would recommend to try BeatMyPrice on https://flystein.com for most expensive segments, it is risk free and most likely Flystein experts will save you some $$$.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by seekout

I haven’t heard anything like that from my friend who lives there...
Is he local or an expat who works there? Might make a difference.

A few years ago before UA and CO merger someone booked a reward ticket with plane change from SA to CO in LOS, and the authorities, perhaps just one, would not allow him through security without paying a fairly substantial bribe.

There was a fairly long thread with other posters writing about their own experiences with having to pay bribes at the Lagos International Airport.

Why?
Um, this whole Arab - Jew thing

If you have a stamp from one of several countries in your passport you are not going to get it, or at least not without a hassle.

Pardon me, I don't mean any offence, but neither of these is really some hidden secret information.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

I have not read anything that states I will not be able to enter Israel in regards to the countries that I will visit in my itinerary before the Tel Aviv trip. There are countries that are risky for the visa but not the ones that I will visit before Tel Aviv (at least not from what I've seen so far).

Regarding the bribe(s), some pay some don't. I will see when I get there. Good to have a reminder though, thank you.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:39 pm

I have not read anything that states I will not be able to enter Israel in regards to the countries that I will visit in my itinerary before the Tel Aviv trip. There are countries that are risky for the visa but not the ones that I will visit before Tel Aviv (at least not from what I've seen so far).
Hey, it appears that we're both posting without one of us being asleep in a different time zone

OK, just Googled it, and it looks like that it's actually the other way around

But I do remember many moons ago I was told this, but it's not true today .... perhaps never was, I was in Israel before internet as we know it existed .... But it seems that today there are some Arab countries that won't let you in with an Israeli stamp in your passport
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Yes, exactly. That is why I planned the trip the way I did.

Also, it's not really a big deal anymore because immigration will usually just give you a slip of paper and will not stamp your passport. They are fully aware of the headaches their stamps can give foreigners just passing through.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:42 pm
Used to be highman123

I have been traveling since January and I still don’t belong to any frequent flyer programs. I was going to try it out but I don’t like having that on my mind when I search out cheap flights. I assume you are referring to 35K in frequent flier miles (please correct me if I’m wrong though). But if you mean $3500 USD then the prices I researched are much cheaper.

LAD is another story altogether. I couldn’t even figure out how to go about getting a visa when I was in Hong Kong last month. That’s going to be a pain in the butt but hopefully I will go totally local and cut down on costs.

Which leg(s) are you referring to specifically? Number 23 and 24? If so, I checked flyDubai and these are the prices I saw. I haven’t checked the other three you mentioned yet but I will when I have a moment. But I’m not sure which legs you feel I should research further for better lower prices..
You can sign up for a United credit card - that easily gives you 30k.

Likely the only 'easy consulate' for Angola is Frankfurt. Not sure you can swing that. Going 'very local' is a big security risk in Angola. Make sure you carry no electronics or cash/ATM cards/ credit cards and look as 'local' as possible. Security is a real issues in many African countries (incl. Nigeria). Also make sure you have all shots and bring a mosquito net plus Malaria pills. Malaria is real there - almost everyone I met had an outbreak within the last two years!

As for ME - maybe it is the season but these legs seem expensive. Etihad Guest can be had through Citibank's ThankYou points. Most OW legs should be under $99 IMHO.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been traveling since January and I still don’t belong to any frequent flyer programs. I was going to try it out but I don’t like having that on my mind when I search out cheap flights. I assume you are referring to 35K in frequent flier miles (please correct me if I’m wrong though). But if you mean $3500 USD then the prices I researched are much cheaper.
If you fly any major (or even minor) airline is silly not to join ffp's. Cost nothing and you may get something on the future. Will not help save $$ now. Airline have partners so you can consolidate ff miles. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

35K is 35,000 UA freq flyer miles earned by flying or credit card or other eligible activity like hotels & rental cars. A few weeks ago I flew Australia - USA return on freq flyer miles for a few $$ cash outlay.

Actually, this is a pretty set price (incl. tax etc.). I don’t know what “trans Tasman” means but China Airlines does not fly this route.
Trans Tasman is New Zealand to/from Australia over the Tasman sea.
I fly trans Tasman every few weeks, including on CI in summer. Hence my profile location MEL CHC
AKL-OOL tomorrow is NZ$119 seat only. In a few weeks time its NZ$179. That's about the normal low TT fare.

Airlines that fly Australia (CNS* MCY* BNE OOL SYD CBR MEL ADL PER) to/from New Zealand (AKL WLG CHC DUD ZQN) (not from all airports to all airports)
- Air Asia D7 (OOL - AKL) from March 2016
- Air New Zealand NZ (codeshares with VA) [Star Alliance] {* winter seasonal}
- China Airlines CI (BNE SYD MEL* – AKL CHC*) [Skyteam Alliance] {* summer seasonal}
- Emirates EK (codeshares with QF)
- Jetstar JQ (owned by QF)
- LAN LA (SYD AKL) [OneWorld Alliance]
- Philippines PR (CNS - AKL)
- Qantas QF (codeshares with EK) [OneWorld Alliance]
- Singapore SQ (CBR WLG) [Star Alliance] from Sept 2016
- Virgin Australia VA (codeshares with Air NZ) (Delta partner)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 31, 2016 at 9:57 pm
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:45 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by EmailKid

A few years ago before UA and CO merger someone booked a reward ticket with plane change from SA to CO in LOS, and the authorities, perhaps just one, would not allow him through security without paying a fairly substantial bribe.

There was a fairly long thread with other posters writing about their own experiences with having to pay bribes at the Lagos International Airport.
Things inside the airport are fine (I just was there last month. If you have a visa you are good to go. Without a visa you likely pay $200 in bribes to get into Nigeria. The amount varies on your negotiation skills.

I bribed the police outside LOS airport to get out - but that was just $2. More like a 'convenience fee' lol.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by MightyTravels
Things inside the airport are fine (I just was there last month. If you have a visa you are good to go.
Please reread my post.

This traveller flew into LOS on SA, NEVER left the airport, and in order to continue with connecting flight on CO had to pay quite a bit of money. Other posters added that they too were shaken down BOTH with connecting and originating flights.

I'm pretty adventurous, but Nigeria is NOT on my bucket list @:-)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:00 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Please reread my post.

This traveller flew into LOS on SA, NEVER left the airport, and in order to continue with connecting flight on CO had to pay quite a bit of money. Other posters added that they too were shaken down BOTH with connecting and originating flights.

I'm pretty adventurous, but Nigeria is NOT on my bucket list @:-)
It's not that bad - it's like a Mumbai-style version of Cape Town

I think LOS does not have a facility for international transit so you don't have much leverage. OD is fine IMHO if you come prepared and don't look scared
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

8-9 days in Yap

To get back on topic,

I checked out that Flystein website. Has anyone really had any luck with that..?

Also, any other fares you notice that seem to high, please feel free to share.

@MightyTravels - I'm still not sure what legs you are referring to..?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.