Wiki Posts
Search

FlixBus

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
FlixBus

I did a lot of short hop travel in Europe recently. Using other more general searches like www.rome2rio.com and DB (Deutsche Bahn in English I stumbled upon Flixbus.

https://www.flixbus.com

The company is only about two years old, but has an extensive and growing network. By picking an off-peak time, I found a fare from Regensburg, Germany to Munich, Germany for only 5 Euros!

An easy-to-use website and app, with information, on-line reservation, payment and boarding pass all working smoothly.

Spotlessly clean comfortable buses. Origins and terminations generally next to train stations.

Wifi! I experienced excellent service on my two different trips in France and Germany. (A fellow passenger did say he'd not always experienced that though.)

Romelle
Old May 10, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
Just be careful with your luggage. More and more popular that it get stolen at one of the atops. Bus company is currently not responsible , some court decissions ongoing..

Short distance I can recommend, sometimes also fastest way to airport ( STR,FKB,BSL)
Old May 10, 2016, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I wondered about theft. I'm in the habit of putting my luggage where I can see the open bay door when I'm in the bus, and then paying attention at stops. But not the 100% I should have been doing.

It just occurred to me that maybe there is something in the luggage bay to which one could fasten a strap from the luggage? I know that kind of theft depends on easy pickings and speed. Any kind of tie-down would probably cause a thief to move on to something easier.

Also, my backpack is scruffy and well-worn. Doesn't scream valuable like a Tumi might.

I was traveling with a small backpack, and did ask if I could bring it on the bus. The driver said "no", and there really wasn't the overhead bin storage on the bus.

Thanks aysoo for your comments.
Old May 10, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Thanks for the review. I bought a ticket b/w Vienna and Budapest on flixbus in a hurry last week. Tickets were needed for schengen visa (I know, so dumb) and oebb site wouldn't take a credit card.

It was cheap, like, $13. I must admit I was kindda queasy about it. Your review helps.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
couple of articles in the German news about the theft

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/artic...m-Fernbus.html

TC at Flixbus:
20.4.2 Für Verlust von Gepäckstücken, der nicht im Zusammenhang mit einem aus der Nutzung des Kraftomnibusses resultierenden Unfall steht, sowie für Vertausch oder Diebstahl der Gepäckstücke wird die Haftung, außer bei Vorsatz und grober Fahrlässigkeit, ausgeschlossen.

courts discussing how to understand the meaning "Vorstatz and grobe Fahrlässigkeit"
Old May 21, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question how is this a deal??

I checked out this bus for an upcoming mid-June trip Budapest-Bratislava.

The advance fare is 53.5 Euros rtn. with one transfer.

How is this a good deal? I can buy a same day walkup 2nd class train tix for 27 Euros.

I understand the train ride is very scenic. How does the bus compare?
Old May 21, 2016, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

How is this a good deal? I can buy a same day walkup 2nd class train tix for 27 Euros.

It's not a good deal. Though I cannot find a single ticket for that much in mid-June. What day are you looking at? If that is indeed the price then presumably that bus is just particularly busy for some reason - the fares I can see are around €25.

It's much cheaper if you use the Student Agency bus though. In mid-June they seem to be around €8 and also go direct.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
How is this a good deal?

Originally Posted by Antonio8069

The ride is somewhat scenic, but it's flat or rolling hills. Reminds me of home, so I like it. Train from Bratislava to Prague is more scenic IMHO.

MUCH more comfortable by train, especially on international fast trains.

Though bus can be faster since it's point to point.

Originally Posted by Romelle
The company is only about two years old, but has an extensive and growing network. By picking an off-peak time, I found a fare from Regensburg, Germany to Munich, Germany for only 5 Euros!
Not sure why poster chose to cherry pick a rather expensive fare. Just because United Airlines charges $222 for a hop from Dallas to Houston doesn't mean I won't fly them to San Diego for $90.

Originally Posted by callum9999
It's much cheaper if you use the Student Agency bus though. In mid-June they seem to be around €8 and also go direct.
Indeed, Student Agency has a well deserved reputation for cheap fares. No, you don't have to be a student, my senior citizen Aunt regularly takes the bus from Brno to Bratislava.

I've taken the train from Prague to Ceske Budejovice because, well, because it's a train

Student Agency bus to Cesky Krumlov in the morning and another one back to Prague in the evening.

No WiFi on the train, but I could walk around, it was a fairly scenic ride with lots of empty seats.

Not much room on the bus, but sort of kind of usable WiFi and choice of several free forms of TV type entertainment. I chose to watch an episode of Czech travel show about Philippines of all places
Old May 26, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Just took Flixbus from Amsterdam to Brussels. 3-hour trip, cost 9 Euros. Great deal, IMO. Bus was quiet and clean, it was direct, ran on time (actually arrived a couple minutes early), and had free wifi.

Seats were moderately comfortable, although not luxurious. I had no one next to me, so that helped a lot; not sure I'd be quite so thrilled if I was squished into the window with someone next to me.

Definitely recommend them, and I'd do it again.

(I'm taking MegaBus back to AMA, just because of scheduling. 6 Euros for the return!)
Old May 26, 2016, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by alanstar
(I'm taking MegaBus back to AMA, just because of scheduling. 6 Euros for the return!)
That's a great deal to (AMA)

Amarillo Intl Arpt
Amarillo, TX

How are you crossing the Atlantic? I know Megabus runs here in Texas.

Oh wait, a typo ....
Old May 26, 2016, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
That's a great deal to (AMA)

Amarillo Intl Arpt
Amarillo, TX

How are you crossing the Atlantic? I know Megabus runs here in Texas.

Oh wait, a typo ....
Oops. Yet another reason not to post replies after dinner and three glasses of wine. Amsterdam, obviously....
Old May 30, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by alanstar
Just took Flixbus from Amsterdam to Brussels. 3-hour trip, cost 9 Euros. Great deal, IMO. Bus was quiet and clean, it was direct, ran on time (actually arrived a couple minutes early), and had free wifi.

Seats were moderately comfortable, although not luxurious. I had no one next to me, so that helped a lot; not sure I'd be quite so thrilled if I was squished into the window with someone next to me.

Similar experience on the MegaBus return. This was a double-decker; everyone seemed to want to be up top, so I stayed down below and had an empty seat next to me again. A little bit of traffic made us arrive about 15 minutes late, otherwise everything went very smooth.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:04 am

Can confirm Flixbus as a good way to hop through Europe, especially Germany.
I took Flixbus from Dusseldorf to Munich, Munich to Dusseldorf and Cologne to Frankfurt. Always on time, friendly service.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jun 9, 2016 at 2:49 pm Reason: Deleted link
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Took 2 flix bus in the last 2 weeks. Nothing out of the ordinary. Not complaining since it was $15 each for VIE-BUD and BUD-ZAG and 5 Euros (walk-in) for VIE-Bratislava
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:59 am

Lost luggage on Flixbus

Hello,
My luggage was lost when I taking the Flixbus.
On Aug.29.2017, I travelled with Flixbus from Hamburg to Colonge North, at 23:45, line N74,booking number 8046157380. The bus was from Flixbus company, and the bus number is GLBQ28.
The term shows on Flixbus said there should have two drivers, but the day I took the bus only have one drive. At the time we got on the bus, the driver was checking everyone's passport and no one was in the duty of the luggage. And the bus was full with people during our trip,I have no idea if anyone accidentally took my luggage, or STOLE it!!!
All my stuff is inside the luggage, including not only the things I need daily, but those I bought for my family's souvenirs. I'm a poor student, saying that I can bring all the happy memories back is .... without finding my luggage back.
I'm backing to my country next week, I don't have enough time to wait your slowly reply, and this is the big security problem of Flixbus.
Did anyone know how to do with this situation?
Henna

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.