Search

Help finding 1 RT and 1 one way international flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Help finding 1 RT and 1 one way international flight

Hello,
I'm looking to get 1 RT trip from Bangkok, Thailand to Denver, Colorado booked for my girlfriend, and 1 one way flight from Bangkok, Thailand to Denver, Colorado booked for me. I want to fly on the same flights together. I've been looking at buying to LAX or SFO first, then buying separate to Denver as that seems cheaper. The date is June 17th (or 1 week earlier or later), and for the RT return roughly 2 weeks later on a Sat. or Sun.

However, 1 way prices are high, like $800 one way while RT is $950 or less.

I'd love to get some advice on how I should book this. I want to ensure we share the same trip over, but how can I add a one way and a RT to my basket to make sure they are together?

Also any advice on finding the cheapest flights would be appreciated. I've been looking on skyscanner, Kayak, Google Flights, and the Flight Network for the last month. I plan to book something soon if I can find something decent.

Thanks a lot for your time, much appreciated.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pjkcards1
Hello,
I'm looking to get 1 RT trip from Bangkok, Thailand to Denver, Colorado booked for my girlfriend, and 1 one way flight from Bangkok, Thailand to Denver, Colorado booked for me. I want to fly on the same flights together. I've been looking at buying to LAX or SFO first, then buying separate to Denver as that seems cheaper. The date is June 17th (or 1 week earlier or later), and for the RT return roughly 2 weeks later on a Sat. or Sun.

However, 1 way prices are high, like $800 one way while RT is $950 or less.

I'd love to get some advice on how I should book this. I want to ensure we share the same trip over, but how can I add a one way and a RT to my basket to make sure they are together?

Also any advice on finding the cheapest flights would be appreciated. I've been looking on skyscanner, Kayak, Google Flights, and the Flight Network for the last month. I plan to book something soon if I can find something decent.

Thanks a lot for your time, much appreciated.
Do you have any frequent-flyer miles, or credit-card points that can be converted to frequent-flyer miles? On routes where one-way fares are high, a one-way award ticket can be a good value.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Originally Posted by guv1976
Do you have any frequent-flyer miles, or credit-card points that can be converted to frequent-flyer miles? On routes where one-way fares are high, a one-way award ticket can be a good value.
I do, but I want the one way to be the same flight as the RT for the way there. My points are only for certain airlines, which for the RT are far more expensive.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by pjkcards1
I do, but I want the one way to be the same flight as the RT for the way there. My points are only for certain airlines, which for the RT are far more expensive.
Your choices are:

Use miles for the oneway and return for the same flights.
Use miles for the oneway and book a cash return for the same flights.
Book a cash oneway and cash return for the same flights.

Up to you to determine which is preferable/cheaper/better/etc.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You might consider finding a travel agent in BKK to help you.

They can sometimes find cheaper one way flights than you can find online.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:54 pm

Hey! Have you found flights yet?
Old May 1, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I've dealt with the situation of one mileage ticket and one paid ticket a couple different ways.

Method 1 - Research on line for availability for both the paid and the mileage tickets. Paid tickets can be canceled within 24 hours from most airlines. Make sure this possible with your candidate tickets. Then promptly book first the paid ticket and the the mileage ticket. If it turns out the mileage ticket is gone, bust the paid ticket and hunt down another working pair of candidates.

Method 2 - Also research availability first, and then just choose to pay the airline booking fee and call them. In trickier situations like yours it can be money well spent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.