Wiki Posts
Search

Hostel Survey

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Smile Hostel Survey

Hey fellow travelers,

I was hoping you could help me and my partners out with a quick hostel survey for our class business plan/research project. As avid travelers we love the hostel concept and thought it would be fun to try and develop that here in Denver, CO. Most of the questions pertain to hostels in general with one specifically about Colorado. Any information and feedback you could provide would be greatly appreciated. The link is below, thanks and happy traveling!

https://qtrial2016q1az1.az1.qualtric...Jj74zhUTZk0S8Z
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You link seems broken, dude.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to fix it. It's working for me so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What is the name and location of your school or university, your degree program, and major? If this is a project for a course, exactly what is the class?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Great questions which I probably should have already answered. We attend CU Denver and are pursuing our MS Accounting Degrees, I'm getting a minor in entrepreneurship. The class is an entrepreneurship class called Business Plan, thx for the questions. We recently had an upscale hostel open in downtown Denver and I've always thought the concept could work great if executed properly so really just looking for any feedback we can get. Thx for the questions.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure you're going to get much of a balanced insight on hostels from most people here. The last time I stayed in a hostel was when I was in boarding school and travelling around Europe. You may wish to ask moderator to move this to the Budget Hotels forum, but that's not as frequented as the rest of the site. Good luck!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
This is a forum frequented mostly by people who fly frequently for work, and generally a much older demographic that you are looking for, you're better off asking in a different forum like thorntree.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:42 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Took the survey!

One suggestion is on the price question. It's really location dependent. When I was in SE Asia, I wouldn't spend more than $10/night for a dorm bed. In Zurich? Good luck finding anything for under $40/night for a bed, if not more.

Also, another key thing you forgot in the what is important in a hostel : User reviews. I use hostelworld to book and I exclude any hostels that are under 80%. Most big cities have enough hostels to choose from that are over that 80% threshold that I don't need to deal with less than great ones.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PFISTERT
Great questions which I probably should have already answered. We attend CU Denver and are pursuing our MS Accounting Degrees, I'm getting a minor in entrepreneurship. The class is an entrepreneurship class called Business Plan, thx for the questions. We recently had an upscale hostel open in downtown Denver and I've always thought the concept could work great if executed properly so really just looking for any feedback we can get. Thx for the questions.
OK, I'm confused. Exactly what is an "upscale hostel"? Isn't that kind of like a "High Speed Smart Car"?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:05 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
OK, I'm confused. Exactly what is an "upscale hostel"? Isn't that kind of like a "High Speed Smart Car"?
Not really. I was in one in Bangkok. It was probably 30% more than your standard hostel, but it was a new, clean, modern place and included breakfast. Rooms were still dorms, but each of them were a lot more private with individual power outlets, lights curtains and small TV's.

Most hostels are more like this:
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:15 am

Done. I like upscale hostels. Ones with a mix of private and dorm rooms.

Here are the ones I like.

http://www.thepodhotel.com/pod-disco...tel-locations/

http://www.ostellobello.com/

http://aubergeinternationaledequebec.com/en/

I stay in hostels when travelling with my teen kids and their friends. They like their own bunks and I do too.

I can totally see one in Denver.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Done.

It'll be interesting to see if a mini-culture around hostels pops up in Denver (if it hasn't already). I mean, I think we all know what this is about, as none of the Marriotts I stay in regularly in Denver will let you blaze anywhere on the property.

It can probably work, but that "smoking area" you asked if I'd be offended by had better be pretty well-isolated from the nonsmoking parts of the hostel.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by caverunner17
Took the survey!

One suggestion is on the price question. It's really location dependent. When I was in SE Asia, I wouldn't spend more than $10/night for a dorm bed. In Zurich? Good luck finding anything for under $40/night for a bed, if not more.

Also, another key thing you forgot in the what is important in a hostel : User reviews. I use hostelworld to book and I exclude any hostels that are under 80%. Most big cities have enough hostels to choose from that are over that 80% threshold that I don't need to deal with less than great ones.
+1
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Took the survey. I also feel that the question on how much you would be willing to spend is very location-specific. Instead, I typically think of the cost relative to a hotel. For example, if a hotel/motel costs $80 and the hostel costs $60, it may not be worth the savings, but a $60 hostel in a more expensive city can be an excellent value.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I did the survey just to help out but I shudder at 12 to a room! Marijuana tourism???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.