Wiki Posts
Search

Is USD1000 enough for 10 days in UK?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are sometimes ways to get London hotels that include breakfast at a cost of around $45-60/night.

If you pig out at breakfast and eat big grocery store bought food or do McDonalds for the other meals, how low could that be? $10/lunch and $10/dinner? Possible.

Transport costs? Well $20/day could more than cover it is doing public transit in moderation and a fair dose of walking.

Entertainment/sightseeing? That depends on what you plan to do. Lots of museums, parks, gardens and markets don't cost much to see in terms of admission costs (which are free for say the national collections). British Library, Imperial War Museum, National Gallery, Natural History Museum, Museum of London, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, Science Museum, Natl Portrait Gallery, V&A, Bank of England Museum, and so on.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:43 am
Original Poster

I booked my AirBnB accommodation for London and Paris and it totaled to about USD439 for 9 nights. So that means I still have about USD561. I got a Eurostar return trip for USD97. Now I have about USD464 for the rest of the expenditure. If I can save up another USD100, that will be better.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:13 am
Suspended

I couldn't imagine $100 a day in the UK. It costs me nearly $100 just to Uber from Heathrow to my hotel.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:08 am

This is NOT enough. I understand it CAN be done, but you also want to have a good time. Many things are free, but not all. I am much more comfortable with 1500. Food alone can be a considerable expense, as well as travel around both cities.

This sounds like a first visit, maybe once in a lifetime? This is my first post and I am not as well traveled as many others on this forum, but I have been to London and Paris several times. I know everyone has their own priorities but I can't imagine traveling to either of those places and not visiting a few places that WILL cost you money. For example... Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Tower of London/Crown Jewels, Westminster Abbey, Going up into the Eiffel Tower, Sainte-Chapelle, Versailles and so many more!

So air is paid for, lodging is covered, Eurostar is paid for and you still have about $50 a day left. That in itself is amazing on this budget, congratulations. I just fear $50 a day won't be enough. I wish you the best, good luck!

Last edited by bsj1701; Apr 12, 2016 at 8:43 am Reason: addition
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I couldn't imagine $100 a day in the UK. It costs me nearly $100 just to Uber from Heathrow to my hotel.
Sure, but we're all different.

I think most true Budget Travelers don't spend $100 to get to/from the airport @:-)
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Heathrow to Westminster one-way is £6 or under $9 if one does the most expensive any-time cash fare.

That can be improved upon with an Oyster card, off-peak, a Day Travelcard or probably some other options.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Do you recommend getting the London Pass for sightseeing?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by hikkichan
Do you recommend getting the London Pass for sightseeing?
I recommend putting a pencil to it. Add up the costs of all the things you think you really would do, and compare it to the cost of the pass. Those things can work wonderfully for some people and not at all for others.

I happen to like Hop-On Hop-Off buses, and think the London one good, but I learned the one in Rome has been so limited (traffic and routing issues) as to where it could go that it really doesn't work well.

While you are at it, some research on the free things is always in order for a budget trip.

Do you have any guide books yet? They are free from your local library. I've even checked them out and taken them with me on a trip. But for a single city trip where the thing will get some serious use, it might be a good investment to have your own copy so you can write in it. There are lots of really good ones, but for a budget orientation I like Lonely Planet, Let's Go and Rough Guide. Maybe check out an armload of different ones, and then buy the one that seems to work best for you.

Last edited by Romelle; Apr 13, 2016 at 6:21 am
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by hikkichan
I booked my AirBnB accommodation for London and Paris and it totaled to about USD439 for 9 nights. So that means I still have about USD561. I got a Eurostar return trip for USD97. Now I have about USD464 for the rest of the expenditure. If I can save up another USD100, that will be better.
The trickiest part of an AirBnB can be the meet and getting the keys. Definitely worth making sure you have this all sorted out before you leave home. Exactly where, when, how, and a back-up contact plan.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by bsj1701
This is NOT enough. I understand it CAN be done, but you also want to have a good time. Many things are free, but not all. I am much more comfortable with 1500. Food alone can be a considerable expense, as well as travel around both cities.

This sounds like a first visit, maybe once in a lifetime? This is my first post and I am not as well traveled as many others on this forum, but I have been to London and Paris several times. I know everyone has their own priorities but I can't imagine traveling to either of those places and not visiting a few places that WILL cost you money. For example... Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Tower of London/Crown Jewels, Westminster Abbey, Going up into the Eiffel Tower, Sainte-Chapelle, Versailles and so many more!

So air is paid for, lodging is covered, Eurostar is paid for and you still have about $50 a day left. That in itself is amazing on this budget, congratulations. I just fear $50 a day won't be enough. I wish you the best, good luck!
It's plenty... I've spent just under $25 a day including accommodation, transport and food etc. and had an amazing time in Europe (though granted most of the trip was Eastern Europe). I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that you can't have fun on that type of budget if you've never tried it (and not everyone likes the same things as you anyway) - plus restricting my budget to 1/8th of your budget means I can have a holiday 8 times the length!

Originally Posted by Romelle
Heathrow to Westminster one-way is £6 or under $9 if one does the most expensive any-time cash fare.

That can be improved upon with an Oyster card, off-peak, a Day Travelcard or probably some other options.
£3.10 off peak with a contactless credit/debit card (all day weekends, after 9.30am weekdays). Probably even less to their accommodation as I doubt it's in zone 1!

Once they've done that, it would probably be worthwhile buying a weeks travelcard from their local station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.