Wiki Posts
Search

Five Hours for 300 Dollars

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Ok,

I know there are people on this board who fly only in F, are million mile people and for whom, a day traveling is work related.

I'm going on a school related trip later this summer. I will be traveling from a small town in southern Alberta to Calgary then to Toronto. I have an option of flying from a local airport to Calgary or I can take the Greyhound.

If it took an additional five hours, would you take the bus? What if it saved you 300 dollars? Is your time worth 60 dollars an hour? Or is travel such a pain in the neck that 60/hour isn't worth it.

There are a lot of things I could do with that 300. For me, it's a new pair of cowboy boots or a really fancy meal out. But for others, is the 300 worth adding five hours to your day? Most of this time isn't actually being on the bus (the bus takes 2 1/2 hours from Magrath to Calgary) but in the terminal, dealing with tickets, standing in lines, etc.

Would you do it for 300? What about for 100? 200?

Chuck
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Yes, I would take the bus and use some of the $300 on a nice meal or nice hotel. Buses aren't bad, you can read and do work on a laptop etc.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the bus go directly to the airport in Calgary or will you need to take a separate local public bus, which would be much less convenient? If there's no bus service to that airport, what will a taxi/uber cost? These aspects should be factored into your decision making.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

Save your money and take about more time, then treat yourself on the money you saved

Last edited by mike2200; Mar 6, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the bus go directly to the airport in Calgary or will you need to take a separate local public bus, which would be much less convenient? If there's no bus service to that airport, what will a taxi/uber cost? These aspects should be factored into your decision making.
If you are working these details, there is also might be a difference between getting to the local bus station or Calgary airport. How convenient the flight schedule is. Extra costs for food for the longer road time of the bus.

And lets add reliability into the analysis. I don't know how to do it for planes vs buses in Canada, but you might be able to find some info. I do know I avoid booking the last flight of the day. If there is only one bus schedule or one plane schedule, that is a consideration. Not huge in the summer.

I kinda like buses just for being able to see the country.

And it all really comes down to how important that $300 is to you personally. Your next and best use for it. Student time is worth about what my retired time is - near zero.

Many years ago, as a student, I used to walk 3 blocks in the MN winter to take a bus that was one dime less than the closer one. But that saved dime was important to me at that time.

Romelle

Last edited by Romelle; Feb 18, 2016 at 6:48 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Is it 5 hours door to door ? Or just drive time vs flight time? That would ignore getting to/from the airports/bus terminal and the much dreaded airport security.
Now I would take a flight. When I was young the bus.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA

Does the bus ride include nice scenery that you have not seen before? What would you be doing during that time otherwise and would it be profitable or fulfilling?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
For me, if I'm saving more than $100, I'm taking the bus. For 5 hours I can read, surf the net, sleep or just turn off my brain and watch the big sky. I'd pocket the money for future use.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:36 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
The old time v. money

I'd probably still do the bus thing, and in my younger days for sure.

But as our lives, at least mine, progress, we seem to have less and less time, so it becomes more valuable.

Originally Posted by m.photog
Does the bus ride include nice scenery that you have not seen before? What would you be doing during that time otherwise and would it be profitable or fulfilling?
Well, southern Alberta isn't much to see, it's prairie, though you can see the Rockies if the way off distance, but not really close enough to enjoy the view.

I'm assuming you'd be flying from Lethbridge in some kind of puddlejumper, so it won't be the most comfortable flight anyway ...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

My Take

Personally, I'd rather take a bus. Even if it was five hours longer than the plane (and this assumes that the entire time used to take the plane is five hours shorter than taking the bus), as you say my time is worth zero.

I also have family in Calgary. If I need to (let's say I caught the 4PM bus to Calgary and it would entail taking a 1AM flight to Toronto if I want to build in a sufficient safety margin, I can spend the night, and fly out in the AM with 6-8 hours sleep.

Some thoughts. I know for me 300 bucks is worth 5 hours (in addition to the time needed to fly) in transit. For the person who doesn't have five hours, or who is worth more than 60 an hour, it might be extremely different.

Also, as I live in a small town, I'd probably catch the milk run. Counting on a 3-4 hour bus ride is almost guaranteed.

Chuck
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Hi Chuck

What you need to look at is two things:

1. What else could you do with $300?
2. What else could you do with 5 hours?

I think you have probably made a sensible decision taking the bus. Even though I'm reasonably secure financially I would probably still take the bus and just kick back with a book or some music, or surf the net if the bus had wi-fi. 5 hours is not really a lot of time, if you're doing nothing else with it.
Look at it another way: Money saved is like money earned.
What jobs could you that would earn you $60 per hour, after taxes? Are those jobs more arduous than sitting on a bus reading or listening to music? If yes, take the bus.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:46 pm

I think it's fairly unanimous, but I figure I would add one final voice: yup, save the money! Nothing at all wrong with the bus. Get some good reading done. I would do it for $100 without a second thought.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by gonebabygone
I think it's fairly unanimous, but I figure I would add one final voice: yup, save the money! Nothing at all wrong with the bus. Get some good reading done. I would do it for $100 without a second thought.
Yeah, I would probably do it for $100 too.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a similar question. It looks like I'll be traveling from Calgary to home by bus after a vacation trip. I have the option between taking a Red Arrow (a premium bus service) or Greyhound. I will be spending 3 hours on the bus either way, but the Greyhound requires me to spend 4 additional hours at the bus terminal.

To go home on the Red Arrow costs 47 dollars.

To go home on the Greyhound is 27 dollars.

Assume it doesn't affect my pay (that is I'll be traveling on a Sunday so I wouldn't be working, nor will it cost me any money out of pocket) and the only cost is the 4 hours of inconvenience, is it worth it?

In order words, is it worth 5 dollars an hour to wait for a Greyhound. The only options are:

-Red Arrow, leaving at 1630
-Greyhound, leaving at 2030

I'm inclined to wait for the Greyhound. I could use the 20 dollars, especially coming off a big trip. On the other hand, it is 4 hours.

Any thoughts?

Chuck
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd spend the $20 to not sit in the bus terminal and to get home at a more reasonable hour. That it is a nicer ride is a bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.