Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap car for 9 days in HNL?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SW RR+ Companion, Avis President's Club

Traveling to Honolulu in October for 9 days with the wife and baby, looking for the cheapest vehicle to cart the 3 of us with 3 bags and a stroller around Oahu.

Can anyone help? Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

A car for 9 days will probably not be cheap. Also consider parking for 9 days? Do you really need a car that long? Where are you staying? You most likely only need a car for two days max if your hotel is located in Honolulu for visiting (North Shore).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Exec GGL CCR, Turkish M&S Elite, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis First Plus

Mauibaby is spot on. You really will not need a car for more than that as the buses/trolleys take you on all the routes around the island. it's all very much setup for tourists. I am not a big bus fan but the Honolulu tourist team have it down when it comes to transport. if you are staying around waikiki then it's a piece of cake.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

Wow that's the first time I've heard that question on fire talk
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Bus route map

CLICK HERE for bus route map.

It isn't wonderfully clear on line, but will still let you see the excellent coverage of the system.

Lots more on the web site too, if you want to check out particular destinations.

When waiting at a stop, it is possible to use a smart phone to learn how soon the next bus will arrive. Quite amazing system.

If you go this way, do check out the passes. With those, you don't have to buy tickets for each trip, just show the pass.

But don't get spoiled by this fine system. Many other areas are no wheres near as well planned and operated.

Romelle
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Indeed, my usual strategy is a mix, with buses for most of it and maybe a day or two of car rents to go around the island.

With Waikiki and downtown Honolulu and the area in between all the major sites are pretty easily bus-reachable. If memory serves the #19 and #20 are the important airport connections (#20 also going to Arizona memorial and Aloha Bowl, I think) and the #2 is a useful one for downtown and the Bishop Museum.

Cars are helpful for hard-to-reach spots around the island.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Bus won't be an option. We're staying north shore, and the wife has expensive tastes , she wouldn't opt for bus.

Thanks for the parking thoughts, the hotel we're staying is $10 daily for parking, not terrible.

Still need help finding a car...
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:09 pm

Maybe THIS is what you are seeking? They've got some sales.

Romelle
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Raybdbomb
Thanks for the parking thoughts, the hotel we're staying is $10 daily for parking, not terrible.
That is pretty good.

Originally Posted by Romelle
Maybe THIS is what you are seeking?
Indeed. After all, this IS Budget Travel
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Yes, this is budget travel, where I specify I'm interested in getting a cheap car, not finding alternatives to a car.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Raybdbomb
Yes, this is budget travel, where I specify I'm interested in getting a cheap car, not finding alternatives to a car.
A little humor never hurt

I have used and recommend Auto$lash.

They will track prices, and rebook you to a lower price. They just dropped from $165 to $140 for my stay on Maui.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:36 pm

I've found good prices with both bidding on Priceline and taking Hotwire deals. Also, I find their add-on insurance is reasonable. Rates vary by date, but for Hotwire in October they seem to start at $17 a day.

I don't know about Hawaii, but in this area Enterprise tends to be lower cost. They seem to specialize in loaners for insurance situations.

Renting at an airport does bring some added costs, so one can usually save a bit by finding a non-airport vendor.

Romelle

Last edited by Romelle; Sep 11, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Romelle
They seem to specialize in loaners for insurance situations.
IME, I have found their WEEKEND rates can be very good, but during the week when someone else (i.e. insurance companies), they can be more, and certainly a LOT more than their weekend rates.

That said, back in my previous life when travel and renting cars were part of my work, we often used Enterprise because they were lowest.

Last edited by EmailKid; Sep 28, 2015 at 10:47 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA
Staying on North Shore you will need/want a car. Most everything you will want to see or do will be a ways from your hotel. If you were in Waikiki I would recommend only renting when you want to get around as everything is in walking distance in Waikiki.

Check out:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/discount-haw...ental-honolulu

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lucky-owl-car-rental-honolulu

Also check with your bank/credit union. They may have some arrangements with companies for rentals. Make sure you check over your car carefully and fully document any dings, dents or scratches. Some companies can really gouge you when they find any marks on their cars and door dings are very common here. Please be vigilant driving. Pot holes and distracted drivers are VERY common. I've been hit twice by people not looking when changing lanes and I had no where to go.

Last edited by Rebel54; Sep 27, 2015 at 11:51 pm
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:10 pm

We have used hawaiidiscountcar.com with good success. If you find a lower price up to the day before your reservation, they will match it. We rented a minivan for 11 days for less than $300, taxes included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.