Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last minute flight home!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Last minute flight home!

My car was totaled on July 11th by a drunk driver.I drove to California from Georgia to bring my tots to visit my family here. Now I need three tickets home THIS WEEK so that we don't miss preschool registration!

Dows anyone know how I can travel as frugal as possible from LAX to ATL? It'll be me and my two toddlers (ages 3 &4).

Please advise.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Amtrak or Greyhound/Megabus is most likely your best bet.

Good luck.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
FT is not a travel agency.

I would suggest you just look at the various online travel agents to find the best price - Kayak, Skyscanner, Google Flights.

Bus/Train may be cheaper but obviously not as convenient.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:26 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Hate to break this to you, but you have no good options. But you probably already know this, so are making a desperate effort that someone on the internet will suggest a Hail Mary (I bet you posted this on several boards )

You are inside 7 day advance purchase for airlines, so tickets will be EXPENSIVE.

Megabus does not travel that far, and you'd have to buy separate tickets, if it's even possible to cobble together a fare.

Greyhound may be cheapest, but that is one long journey, especially with two little ones.

As much as I hate to even bring it up, but try Spirit Air, possibly Allegant, just don't expect to sit together, but that is probably your best option short of buying a car, which may not be possible if you don't have money from insurance company.

Good luck.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
You're late to your game. Keep an eye on ITA and set alarms on Skyscanner and just jump on the price when you can afford it. You're my getting a good fare at this point so pull the trigger as soon as you can.

EDIT: Best I see is $241 on Spirit connecting in BWI or DFW on the 21-23 which is pretty decent considering the short notice.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Did your/their insurance company give you a rental? I would talk to them about funding a one-way rental back home. (I assume your original plan involved driving back to ATL anyway.)

Plus I suggest calling the preschool and explain the situation to them. There may be some flexibility there.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:55 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Last minute flight home!

Does your car insurance not cover rental expenses in case of a accident? Most give you at least short term coverge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.