Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend cheap hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Post Recommend cheap hotels?

I don't need anything fancy, just something good enough that has a bed and indoor plumbing and electricity. I travel now and then and always dread seeing the hotel bill. I've been stuck with $200 a night before and yikes!! Can't afford that. So any recommendations?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I would recommend single rooms at hostels. That would seem to meet your minimalist needs.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Recommend cheap hotels?

Where exactly?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
http://www.ibis.com/gb/northamerica/index.shtml
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I would recommend single rooms at hostels. That would seem to meet your minimalist needs.
I have the feeling single rooms in hostels are often more expensive than budget chains.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DAmpa
So any recommendations?
A clear title would be great

Recommendations can be very location specific.

But I am staying in an inexpensive hotel in Poprad, Slovakia right now booked on Booking.com VERY basic, but bathroom ensuite, not down the hall as I often do to save money

Used them for a very nice room that listed at much more in Kosice, and when I told them I'd be back in town for a flight out on Friday, they let me walk all the way to the front door before dropping their almost 3X listed rate and offered the same price as Booking.com (with the comission going to them, so a better deal for them).

I've also used AirBNB and Agoda.com in Asia. Better luck with latter, mostly because those are mostly real hotels, but some have had great luck with former.

No need to spend $200, even in San Francisco, though NYC is in a grey area if not black.

Staying in Prague on points I earned for Holiday Inn branded Chase card. And said card give me Platinum status which gives me free breakfast in many properties - not that I need it in Prague, but other benefits are nice.

But of course those points don't last forever
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:26 pm

Recommend cheap hotels?

I love the Patio Hotel & Urban Resort in Phnom Penh. Great pool, big rooms and under $100 per night
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I've found some low-cost places at www.hostelbookers.com. Even 1/2 a trailer house in Rome. It had a little kitchen, full bath, 2 beds, etc.

Romelle
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by stewardo
I love the Patio Hotel & Urban Resort in Phnom Penh. Great pool, big rooms and under $100 per night
Originally Posted by DAmpa
I don't need anything fancy, just something good enough that has a bed and indoor plumbing and electricity. I travel now and then and always dread seeing the hotel bill. I've been stuck with $200 a night before and yikes!! Can't afford that. So any recommendations?
Um, yes $100 is half price of OP, but I strongly suspect OP is looking for a lot less @:-)

No pool, which I have no use for (though many of my friends like them), but stayed at a very nice hotel in Phnom Penh for either $20 or $25

Found it on my own after staying in a dump booked via Booking.com
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:30 pm

Stayed in a nice little hotel in Hanoi Old quarter for under $ 30 a night. Hostels on neighbouring street were $ 5-8 a night. My hotel price matched Agoda/priceline without bating an eye when we needed to store bags and come back for extra nights. Had the same experience in Laos.
Just out of curiosity, OP, do you check the price ahead of time so you know what to expect and do not have to dread seeing the bill?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
No. Never. IBIS Budget claims to be a cheap hotel. Then they charge extra for everything! Early check-in, late check-out, WIFI, brekkie, etc. Its quite dear.

I do recommend (in NZ) this network:
http://www.bbh.co.nz/ha214/Backpacke...w-Zealand.html

e.g. They offer a decent place to stay in AKL for $20. IBIS wants $73-$126 +++
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:11 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
No. Never. IBIS Budget claims to be a cheap hotel. Then they charge extra for everything! Early check-in, late check-out, WIFI, brekkie, etc. Its quite dear.

I do recommend (in NZ) this network:
http://www.bbh.co.nz/ha214/Backpacke...w-Zealand.html

e.g. They offer a decent place to stay in AKL for $20. IBIS wants $73-$126 +++
The Ibis I've stayed in (in Indonesia and China) have always included wifi. The a/c has been across-the-board terrible though.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to sign up with a hotel points program, for even at the lowest rung you may be able to get (or more easily convince your way into) free wifi.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Just got back from Thailand, where midrange rooms at fading places where everything sorta works can be had for $20-30 even in Bangkok. That region in general has some excellent lodging values, with exceptions being places like Singapore or Brunei where you'd expect. The Philippines also isn't as favorable on hotels (but is cheap just about everywhere else) due to supply/demand.

In the U.S. you've got Nevada with some amazing deals, but most times in other places I land in ESAs via Priceline for low $30s. Many people don't appreciate how the exclusionary nature of Priceline and the parameters required makes the deals possible.

In Europe it's harder to stay out of hostels, as they're more prevalent and in some places the hotel options are quite a jump up. If you snore you can become unpopular in shared rooms, so that motivates some people to at least seek a walled-off space.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:36 am
Suspended

Hey,

Planning to Visit Kerala, India? Go to Google and search there. You can find lots of Kerala tours and travel operators in India. I know few of but most popular operator in Kerala. They offer lowest price tour packages with 4 or 5 star hotel facility.

You can enjoy houseboat, backwaters, hill stations, beaches and other historical places experience in Kerala.

If want to know more about Operator, comment me here.

Thanks

Dhiraj
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT.

Not on MY bucket list.

Safe travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.