Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Cheaper to Buy extra "weight" beforehand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Hi, I'm flying economy on China Eastern and they allow up to 2 pieces of check in luggage at 23kg each plus 1 carry on at 5kg. As I'm moving back home from San Fran to Asia and then to Australia on a different airline, I do not want to ship anything. I need more weight allowances. Can I purchase it beforehand and will it be cheaper, like maybe some sort of student discount? Cause I saw on their website that

Over 50 lbs(23 KG) to 70 lbs(32 KG) -- USD165/PC

and I'm checking in 2 overweight luggages at 31 kg each. Any tips or advice? I'm flying in 2 days ugh.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Some airlines do charge more at the airport. If it is not clear on their website I would call and check.
I would be surprised if it would be cheaper at the airport so if you know you need the extra I would just pay now.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:21 pm

If "PC" is per piece, then just combine the extra weight in a third bag if possible and pay the fee once instead of twice. But if u think they're lax and won't notice the extra weight a third bag is the opposite of helpful.

No real way around it though that I know of unless you upgrade to J or ship it.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
They'll definitely notice 8kg extra. OP, you may well do better paying for a third bag and keeping all three below 23kg. Go to a thrift store and purchase a cheap used suitcase for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.