Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Plane Tickets from CA to Costa Rica- When to buy and am I too late? (Help!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane Tickets from CA to Costa Rica- When to buy and am I too late? (Help!)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Four friends and I are planning on going to Costa Rica from around 12/1/15 to 12/11/15. We are from California and could fly out of anywhere from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

I looked at some things online that said the cheapest time to buy internationally is 2-3 months out, but now that I look everything is at least $150 more than I had seen earlier (~$600 to ~$780). Also a lot of the flights have ridiculous layovers and take 20+ hours to complete!

Do you think prices will be going down, up, staying the same? Should I bite the bullet and buy now before all the seats are taken? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

I can currently get a flight straight through flight out of LAX on 12-31 with a return on 1-12 for $705 from Delta. Should I buy or wait?

Last edited by EmailKid; Oct 2, 2014 at 2:37 pm Reason: Back to back posts on same subject
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk 83WONDER !

First, in my role as moderator, I combined your posts into one.

Second, as long time traveler to CR, I can tell you that for some reason ticket prices to Centroamerica is normally ridiculously high

LAX in particular seems to have good fares come up every once in a while, but it's fairly close to your desired travel dates, so I'd give that DL fare a good long look.

May the price drop between now and your travel dates? Sure, but is is just as likely if not more likely to go up.

One other suggestion, if you can get to LAS, they sometimes have OK or even good fares.

Also check Mileage Run Deals forum. If a good fare pops up, it's usually posted there @:-)
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Depending on your travel plans, make sure you're checking both international airports (SJO and LIR) in CR. JFK-SJO was $675 rt for my September trip but JFK-LIR was only $386 rt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.