Need help finding "cheap" hotel rooms when traveling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help finding "cheap" hotel rooms when traveling

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:13 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WesleyPipes
Not asking for a cheap price, I just want to know if what the authors are stating are true, or are they exaggerating.
Absolutely I will be in a hotel room in Hue Vietnam that will cost me 11 USD for the night later this week. I will be in Vietnam and Laos for the next 2 weeks or so and my rooms are all under 40USD a night. I had breakfast yesterday for around $1.50 there are places that are dirt cheap it's just not easy to get to some of these places.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Absolutely I will be in a hotel room in Hue Vietnam that will cost me 11 USD for the night later this week. I will be in Vietnam and Laos for the next 2 weeks or so and my rooms are all under 40USD a night. I had breakfast yesterday for around $1.50 there are places that are dirt cheap it's just not easy to get to some of these places.
Wow, that's amazing. Thank you for your input on this.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Check out tunehotels.com and the Ibis chain hotel for very cheap rooms in Asia/Europe. Those two chains are by no mean luxurious but they are usually clean and well located.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:27 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just to add to this thread. Here is the $16USD hotel I said in 2 nights ago in Hue Vietnam. Sorry the room is a little messy. I have more but I'm on an awful computer at the moment.

Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:26 pm

I had a similar-quality hotel room to the one shown above for Vietnam in San Cristobal de las Casas, for $15/night.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Just to add to this thread. Here is the $16USD hotel I said in 2 nights ago in Hue Vietnam. Sorry the room is a little messy. I have more but I'm on an awful computer at the moment.
Bed looks just fine as long as you don't like your back.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
You definitely need to favor the cheaper countries and decide where your level of tolerance is. When I was 33 I took a buyout from a job and applied the 75% of an annual salary to a plan to travel the world for a year (the gap year I never had). Was very concerned about finances working out, even though I was using miles for the flights. I had a target of $60/day for everything outside those flights.

To do it I concentrated on SE Asia in 3-month chunks and tried for $10-20 on lodgings. Could have gone lower but if you watch the first part of "The Beach" you see one of the dumps you might get in the sub-$5 range.

All the SE Asian countries except Singapore and Brunei are likely to have something low enough, though you might be looking at a fan (it can get humid!) and shared bath. Overbuilt markets like Pattaya and Bangkok might even have options with air-con and TVs in the $10s. The indochina countries can be cheap but are also poor, and you can find a big bump up in comfort at $15 or $20 vs. $5.

On food there's street food but not everyone adapts quickly. There's usually no English signage or English spoken, but tourist-oriented places cost more.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RustyC
Overbuilt markets like Pattaya and Bangkok might even have options with air-con and TVs in the $10s.
Think you're pushing it a little with $10

Or maybe I haven't ventured to out of the way places, but methinks that will get you a fan room.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:33 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RustyC

All the SE Asian countries except Singapore and Brunei are likely to have something low enough, though you might be looking at a fan (it can get humid!) and shared bath. Overbuilt markets like Pattaya and Bangkok might even have options with air-con and TVs in the $10s. The indochina countries can be cheap but are also poor, and you can find a big bump up in comfort at $15 or $20 vs. $5.
The cheapest non-dorm hostel room I found in Singapore is by Ibis Bencoolen. It's called Hawaii Hostel. It's...not good, but for Singapore, it's uh, still not good.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:11 pm

I say dream on about Costa Rica. I spent 4 months there last year and didn’t find it inexpensive at all! Nicaragua is very cheap though. Stay in Hostels, you can find places as low as $7.00.

If you want beach, you will have to pay more $$$ everyone wants to go to the beach. If you go during the off season, the rate will be lower. I spent 1 month in Thailand, June 2014. I stayed in a fabulous resort in Koh Phangan for $35.00 per nite, and it was on the beach. In Koh Tao and Koh Samui I was in nice hotels for around $30-35 per nite. 1 was on the beach, 1 was a block away. I made all my reservations on Agoda as I traveled, a day or two before.

Another way to stay cheap is to coach surf. You can also do volunteer work and stay free. Check out workaway.info for more info.

I am on a 6 month around the world trip, and so far Thailand has been the least expensive country. I also liked that country the best so far.

Wesley, you don’t mention where you are from, or where you want to go. Mexico and Central America are pretty inexpensive places, if you want to spend the money and go further then S. E. Asia is a good bet. Hong Kong, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur were VERY expensive!!!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:43 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hot2trot
Wesley, you don’t mention where you are from, or where you want to go. Mexico and Central America are pretty inexpensive places, if you want to spend the money and go further then S. E. Asia is a good bet. Hong Kong, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur were VERY expensive!!!
What did you find very expensive about Kuala Lumpur?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:31 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Had plenty great, cheap stays in India at a low price point - a fairly recent stay in (the utterly beguiling) Hampi saw me staying in a nice, clean A/C room in a guesthouse, with breakfast, for Rs1600 ($26). With some negotiation, you could easily get down to half that for a non-A/C.

Food, well, you can get a decent veg thali for a couple of dollars. I didn't have a bad meal in that town.

Getting around is cheap, too. Hampi (well, Hospet) to Goa, for example, is as little as Rs235 ($3.90) in non-AC sleeper class (it's not overnight, but still).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:15 am

What I always do is check those booking sites such expedia and compare the cheap rates, then if I see a cheap rate there, I'll double check with the hotel's website to compare both rates. I find that the booking site usually has a cheaper rate than the hotel's direct website.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hot2trot

I'm from the east coast in the U.S. Don't really have an exact destination, trying to gauge the cheap areas. My buddy is actually trying to sell a couple of nights from his hotels.com bookin for southeast asia. Never realized S.E Asia is extremely cheap.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:04 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Great. Better book yourself, not through some random dude online.

On Topic: Staying a week in Krabi now for 15 USD/night. Not near the beach though.

Aircon, refrigerator, electric kettle, flat screen tv, 1 bottle water/day, powder coffee, hot shower, queen size bed (hard), small table w/ 2 chairs, all included.

Came back today and my pile of dirty laundry has been cleaned and folded. Nice surprise.

Last edited by EmailKid; Oct 10, 2014 at 11:05 am Reason: Deleted quote form deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.