Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me plan my flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Help me plan my flights

We are a family of 4 and we are planning our cruise to Alaska. We would like our tickets to be on the same flight but if not atleast 2 tickets need to be on same flight as we have 2 kids. I would like to use my frequent flyer miles and gift cards to book my flights. Problem is the miles are scattered in different airlines and I don't have one big balance. Can somebody help me and show me a way I can get my flights for free. I'm listing miles for both me and my spouse. I'm flying from DTW(Detroit) to ANC(Anchorage) and return from SEA(Seattle) to DTW. My cruise ends in Vancouver but I have a feeling domestic flights might be cheaper than international especially when redeeming miles. However, flying back from Vancouver is an option. My cruise is booked so travel plans are firm. Our cruise starts on July 13th 2015 and ends on July 20th. I would like to spend couple of days in Anchorage and Denali before heading to Seward for my cruise. So most likely will fly on July 9th. Also, if buying one ticket and redeeming second award ticket is the way to go would getting an Alaska Air credit card help things ? I would get award miles and a companion ticket for $99 for $89 annual fee. Lastly, I apologize for not giving complete details. Also, I don't have any special status on any of the frequent flyer accounts.

1. Delta - 31,000 miles and 49000
2. united - 64,000 and 12,600
3. US Air - 35,500 and 35,000
4. AA - $200 gift cards, 26000
5. Chase UR 150,000

Any help will be appreciated.

I'll keep updating with what I come up with. So far, since it's more than 330 days I cannot anticipate miles required. I'll keep checking award miles frequently once the schedule opens up.

I've applied for the Gold Delta skymiles credit card for both me and my husband. 30,000 miles after 1K in purchase in 3 months, No annual fee the first year, 1st bag checked in free. I leaned towards Delta because I'm from Detroit and Delta is the hub. Better Delta flights out of Metro Detroit.

I'll most likely wait till Jan. to actually book my flights. US and AA will merge their rewards program and Delta will allow one way reward flights.

Last edited by uvasag; Aug 5, 2014 at 7:54 pm Reason: More info on the trip
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:13 pm

Not sure I quite understand. What does "64,000 and 12,600" mean? Are those United balances in two separate accounts?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Transfer UR to UA and book four low level tickets!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by davie355
Not sure I quite understand. What does "64,000 and 12,600" mean? Are those United balances in two separate accounts?
Each spouse has an account?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: MR Plat, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA Silver
Help me plan my flights

You haven't mentioned from where to where you are flying...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Yes 2 accounts for both spouses. We fly from DTW to ANC and return from SEA to DTW. Would prefer using miles before Chase UR as I also have hotel and car rental to worry about.

Thanks

Last edited by uvasag; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:33 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by uvasag
We are a family of 4 and we are planning our cruise to Alaska. We would like our tickets to be on the same flight but if not atleast 2 tickets need to be on same flight as we have 2 kids.
What dates are you considering for the outbound? What dates for the return?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LukeRB
What dates are you considering for the outbound? What dates for the return?
We will fly out around July 10th 2015 (Our cruise is on July 13th and we want to spend a couple of days in Anchorage and Denali) and return back July 20th 2015. Yeah, I know it's next year and it's greater than 330 days so none of the websites show flights for that date but I'm trying to figure out how to use my miles. I might apply for a couple of credit cards to earn miles quickly too.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
One by one members here have pulled the teeth, and gotten the general details of your proposed trip.

Some odds and ends still left:

Have you actually booked the cruise, so you are committed to the trip?

I'm assuming "5. Chase UR 1,50,000" is missing a zero and is really 1,500,000?

To continue this thread, it might be helpful if you build a recap of your details and keep posting it with your subsequent info/comments/decisions/choices. That would save readers from having to go through all the older threads to get the full picture.

Have you considered Vancouver, BC (YVR) as an alternative to SEA? SEA-DTW and YVR-DTW can be priced differently. Probably not enough to make up for transport from the cruise ending, which I assume is Seattle? But worth checking to be sure.

Its been my experience, and I've seen it reported here, that whereas one or two mileage tickets are offered for a particular flight. More than that - often not. On the other hand, if one picks the available one or two, sometimes there are more available the very next day.

I'd guess the most likely successful outcome is one mileage ticket and one purchased ticket from 2 of the 4 airlines with which you currently have accounts. The merger of USAir with somebody might simplify the situation for you, but ...

If you get some more miles from new credit cards, that of course changes things.

Assuming you have booked the cruise, you might determine exactly when the airlines say their new mileage tickets will be available for your dates. Then when you figure they will be available, start checking daily. You'll actually need the availability of the July 20th return, but it wouldn't hurt to start watching when you figure your July 10 outbound could be available.

I've watched mileage tickets ahead of time for several trips. It isn't exact. They might show up a week later than the suggested available date. What is for sure though, is that they can get snapped up very quickly when an airline chooses to make them available.. You need to have your game plan set before they start being available. I've also seen them show up the last week before a departure, when there had been zero availability before.

Romelle
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Updated the original post with required info.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:03 am

Searching for an open-jaw mileage ticket can be tricky. At least on Delta, rather than the lowest rate at the top of the list, inbound and outbound flights are sorted by schedule. So one doesn't know what the rate will be until both are selected.

To sleuth out the lower rate inbound and outbound mileage flights, first do each as a one-way. Then do the full trip, selecting the flights you've found to have the lower mile rates.

Of course I couldn't use your actual dates this early, but I used random ones on Delta a couple months earlier. Checking for the open-jaw and selecting whatever was at the top of the list, the result was 50,000 miles. However, checking the one-ways first, I was able to find 32,500 mile choices.

If you do end up getting a mileage ticket and a purchased ticket on one airline, I'd suggest doing it in this order:

1 - Find both mileage ticket and $$ tickets on same flight

2 - Purchase money ticket

3 - Get mileage ticket

4 - Call airline and get them to "link" the two tickets so any changes will be made to both together

The reason for doing the $$ ticket first is one can cancel it within 24 hours. With a mileage tickets, it is final unless you are of higher frequent flyer status. Sometimes one can see a mileage ticket, but it vanishes as one tries to actually book it.

And that reminds me - a good addition to your summary post at the beginning would be your frequent flyer status on each airline. Different tactics are possible at the different levels.

Romelle

Last edited by Romelle; Jul 24, 2014 at 6:31 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romelle
Searching for an open-jaw mileage ticket can be tricky. At least on Delta, rather than the lowest rate at the top of the list, inbound and outbound flights are sorted by schedule. So one doesn't know what the rate will be until both are selected.

To sleuth out the lower rate inbound and outbound mileage flights, first do each as a one-way. Then do the full trip, selecting the flights you've found to have the lower mile rates.

Of course I couldn't use your actual dates this early, but I used random ones on Delta a couple months earlier. Checking for the open-jaw and selecting whatever was at the top of the list, the result was 50,000 miles. However, checking the one-ways first, I was able to find 32,500 mile choices.

If you do end up getting a mileage ticket and a purchased ticket on one airline, I'd suggest doing it in this order:

1 - Find both mileage ticket and $$ tickets on same flight

2 - Purchase money ticket

3 - Get mileage ticket

4 - Call airline and get them to "link" the two tickets so any changes will be made to both together

The reason for doing the $$ ticket first is one can cancel it within 24 hours. With a mileage tickets, it is final unless you are of higher frequent flyer status. Sometimes one can see a mileage ticket, but it vanishes as one tries to actually book it.

And that reminds me - a good addition to your summary post at the beginning would be your frequent flyer status on each airline. Different tactics are possible at the different levels.

Romelle
Thanks Romelle for the detailed answer. This is what I'm thinking so far.

1. Sign up for Delta credit card for both me and my spouse in Jan. I get the 1st year free with no annual fee. I get to check in my bags. Combine the reward miles with what I have and I should be able to get free tix for the whole family. Here is the problem though. If I sign up for the card in Jan, by the time the miles get accrued it will probably be Mar. and by then it might be too late to order tix for July. If I sign up for the credit card this year then I pay an annual fee next year.
2. Use my US and AA miles to book hotels and rent cars while in Alaska.
3. Try and sell my AA $200 Gift cards as I don't see it using them anytime in the near future. I live in Detroit and with Delta being the hub I almost always get direct flights and cheaper deals on Delta.

One thing I found with Delta was that one way and return cost me the same number of miles. I tried a sample date for an open jaw ticket and it showed 40,000 miles.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:34 am

One thing I found with Delta was that one way and return cost me the same number of miles. I tried a sample date for an open jaw ticket and it showed 40,000 miles.
Yes, the one-way will show the same number of miles as a round trip (at least until Delta starts offering one-way mileage tickets). But what you learn is which of the flight are available for less mileage. Then when you patch together these selections in the open-jaw it helps you find the lower mileage open-jaw tickets.

Romelle
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
2. Use my US and AA miles to book hotels and rent cars while in Alaska.
Using miles for hotels and rental cars tend to be very poor value

Sure, if you're not going to use them for anything else, but if you think you can use them for future flights, I'd hang on to them @:-)
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

What if I sign up for the US Airways credit card ? For an annual fee of $89 I get 2 companion tix for $99. If I pay for my tix, I could get 2 tix for $99 . The additional 40,000 miles would help me book the 4th tix with award miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.