Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Need help planning trip to Turkey and Egypt (May 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help planning trip to Turkey and Egypt (May 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:04 am
sfx

renting a car in Greece may actually be cheaper than transfers and day trips.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
While in Istanbul, a short boat trip across the water will let you claim Asia as well as Europe. Nice way to have an interesting lunch?

Do make sure you get to the IST airport with plenty of time. For a late afternoon flight, there has been a full day for those lines to back up.

Romelle
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romelle
While in Istanbul, a short boat trip across the water will let you claim Asia as well as Europe. Nice way to have an interesting lunch?

Do make sure you get to the IST airport with plenty of time. For a late afternoon flight, there has been a full day for those lines to back up.

Romelle
You are the best. A short boat trip where? Something like Princess island?

Last edited by pandoraone; Feb 6, 2014 at 9:00 pm
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Romelle
That's how I claimed a visit to Asian continent for ages until my first trip to SouthEast Asia

Originally Posted by pandoraone
A short boat trip where? Something like Prince's island?
There used to be cheap boats to Asian side (sounds like there still are), and it was a relatively quick trip.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
That's how I claimed a visit to Asian continent for ages until my first trip to SouthEast Asia

There used to be cheap boats to Asian side (sounds like there still are), and it was a relatively quick trip.

Haha nice. I was looking this up - there is the bosphorus cruise as well as the trip to princess island (both reasonable amount of $$); do you guys know of a particular company or something I can pre-book? Or should I just show up to the docks :-)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:48 am

something I can pre-book? Or should I just show up to the docks :-)
What I'm talking about (I suspect WE are talking about) are regular commuter boats that go back and forth between European and Asian side.

OK, just looked at wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosphorus, and the term they use will probably help: Ferry, and locals @:-)
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:41 am

Yeah, we (EmailKid and I) are talking about the regular commuter boats. Too many from which to choose.

Study a map from most any travel guide, or prowl the web a bit, then just show up at the Eminonu dock area. Have a freshly caught fish sandwich and some beer while you are deciding.

You can go pretty much straight across for just lunch or a cup of coffee. The price was nominal. A dollar or two? Maybe three?

Or take more time and ride the one which zig-zags back and forth Asia to Europe, clear up the Bosphorus to the Black Sea. If you get off on the Asian side each time it docks there, you can count lots of Europe/Asia trips? Probably not a wonderful idea though, as there is some interval until the next boat.

I count Istanbul Asia as the ONLY time I've ever been to Asia where I didn't eventually get sick from something I ate or drank.

Incidentally, it is Princes' Island, rather than Princess Island. Funny history on the place. Worth a read.

Romelle

While I'm at it, to ride the trams about one needs either tokens or a refillable card. There is some savings to the card, and also it is handy for not having to fumble for change or rush to buy a token while the tram is arriving. Places to buy the card are a little rare, but I think you can do it right at the airport when you arrive. And at least there was another place near the Grand Bazaar.

Regarding hotels, click here for some interesting possibilities. I've NOT done these myself, but am curious about them. The $49/day flat fee and the $20 processing fee both need taken into consideration, but I've read of bids of only a few dollars beyond that succeeding.

Last edited by Romelle; Feb 7, 2014 at 11:13 am
Old Feb 9, 2014, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Found a good ticket!

- Fly out of JFK to Athens - spend a day or two there --> Ferry to Santorini for a day or two --> Back to Athens to fly to IST --> Spend a 2-3 days --> Fly to Cappaddocia for 2 days --> back to IST --> Fly to JFK

What do you guys think? Any idea on which hotels to stay at in those cities? Any particular thing I should go see in each of those cities?

Also - the tickets are $1100 each - I think that is a fair price (do you guys agree)? How much do you think the whole trip would cost overall (rough ballpark)?

Thanks!
Aegean (A3 in "flyertalkish) actually flies from Santorini to Istanbul,SAW. Found prices of 60 od euros (OW) in April.No need to backtrack to Athens.Might even earn a few miles !!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Feb 9, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by geirfugl
Aegean (A3 in "flyertalkish) actually flies from Santorini to Istanbul,SAW. Found prices of 60 od euros (OW) in April.No need to backtrack to Athens.Might even earn a few miles !!!
Sorry,tried a new search,that only shows up Santorini to Istanbul,by way of Athens,so this might be wrong.

However,there are 4 daily A3 flights Santorini-Athens,from abouth 75 Euro,the flight only takes 45 minutes,while a ferry is 5-7 hours,I would probably have taken the ferry out and returned by plane. The ferry can be nice,but unlike some other islands,there does not seem to be any overnights with cabins. This way you also do not have to go from Pireus to Athens airport for your Istanbul flight.

Last edited by geirfugl; Feb 9, 2014 at 8:32 pm
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geirfugl
Sorry,tried a new search,that only shows up Santorini to Istanbul,by way of Athens,so this might be wrong.

However,there are 4 daily A3 flights Santorini-Athens,from abouth 75 Euro,the flight only takes 45 minutes,while a ferry is 5-7 hours,I would probably have taken the ferry out and returned by plane. The ferry can be nice,but unlike some other islands,there does not seem to be any overnights with cabins. This way you also do not have to go from Pireus to Athens airport for your Istanbul flight.

Thanks! I purchased my ticket already from Santorini to Athens (so I can explore there) and then Athens to Cappadocia on Pegasus. I appreciate your advice!!!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:18 pm

If you are interested in ceramics and glass, two shops in Santorini I thought had exceptional work:

Goulas Ceramic Art Studio
Firostefani, next to the Conference Center
Santorini 84700 Greece Tel./Fax: (+30) 22860 24750
Andreas Alefragis

Apollon Art Gallery
Santorini Oia 84702 Greece and Santorini Fira 84700
(+30)-22860-71151

At Apollon I particularly liked the glass light fixtures.

Romelle
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:12 pm

This was posted in Hotels. I don't know anything about it personally, but thought you might find it interesting.

Romelle
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Have any of you used a shuttle service from Istanbul SAW to hotels downtown? If so, any reliable ones? I searched the internet but spotty information.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:03 pm

Have you checked FT Europe forum?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Egypt

Egypt is a fascinating country--but even in less turbulent political times, it can be a bit daunting for an independent traveler. We went before the revolution, but had our son ( he lived in Cairo five years, speaks fluent Arabic) with us as a guide. Although we travel many places independently, I'm not sure we would have fared very well without son along.

I would heed the current warnings, but even if it is safer, or you decide to go now anyway, it is one place where I would recommend finding a GOOD guide. (and beware as there are many con artists in Egypt).

If you really want to treat yourself, take a Nile cruise--but not a cruise ship--on a traditional Egyptian sailboat--a dahabiya. We used Jane Akshar's http://www.sailthenile.com/ and I highly recommend them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.