Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help finding a solo budget adventure vacation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callum9999
That's what I thought, until I did one of the "other" trails in the area! I guess it depends why you want to do the trek. On the "real" trek you encounter more Inca ruins etc. but the trek I did (Salkantay) featured breathtaking scenery instead. You still end the trek at Machu Picchu which was more than enough ruins for me and someone I met out there who did the "real" trek said they wish they hadn't seen the small ruins along the way as it would have made Machu Picchu itself seem more impressive (not that it really needs to be!).

For the 5 day Salkantay trek from Cusco I only paid about $300 - which included absolutely everything you needed, including entry to Machu Picchu and the train back to Cusco. They set up and carried your tent for you and also provided 3 meals a day + snacks. You don't need to book it in advance and you'll probably get the best deal by looking around in Cusco when you arrive. I only booked 2 days before.

Peru sounds like the perfect destination for your trip. There are direct flights on United from Newark to Lima on your dates for $588. It can be very tricky due to dodgy computer systems, but I'd then try and redeem your AA miles for domestic flights on LAN from Lima to Cuzco, which can be quite expensive with cash (but still doable if you can't get the reward tickets), and maybe some other places that take your fancy - Arequipa is quite popular.

I'm not sure exactly what you classify as "roughing it", but while I was in Peru I managed to keep my basic living expenses (i.e. hostel + food/water) down to around $15 a day reasonably easily. Alcohol/excursions etc. obviously cost more but $2k should be more than enough.

Wow thank you for the detailed response - could you tell me a little but more about the tour itself? Where did you book it and what company was it with? How many people went with you?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:27 pm

Just look at it as the start of your travel and go to whatever place appeals most to you.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by pandoraone
Hi,
Galapagos islands, doing the Inca Trail, maybe climbing Kilimanjaro.
Really John, those are your bucket list destinations? Like NOBODY has ever done those. You are a few decades late and they are now crowded and expensive tourist traps.

You want adventure and very cheap travel, try Venezuela, Sri Lanka, Ecuador or Cambodia. You will come home and people will ask "Why did you go there?" And that is were great travel stories begin...
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Would also vote for Peru, where I just happen to be going in May (half on a paid Spirit ticket at $160-ish and half on an award on Spirit). Do be aware that it's the overcast season for Lima. It's a gastronomic capital (must try the ceviches)and worth a few days. Cuzco is above the cloud layer and I had great weather for the Macchu Picchu trip I did in May a couple of years ago. Do be aware it's twice as high as Denver...maybe in your 20s you still have ability to do a lot in thinner air, but for me the effects were noticeable. That's an area where it's easy to spend a week or more with all the various things you can see. There's also Arequipa and even the Amazon basin as possible further sidetrips.

You'll find in the working world that longer blocs of time for trips are either frowned upon, burn too much of your vacation at once or even have SOME people concerned that if their boss sees the office can do without them they might get laid off, so I'd argue for taking the longest trip you can that appeals with a time bloc like that, as the U.S.-based ones might be doable in shorter chunks. Am also a big fan of favoring countries with low land costs if you can string together enough time, having used proceeds from a buyout offer to travel around SE Asia for the better part of a year. The same money would have gotten far less time in the developed world.

Dunno if that MEX-IPC (Easter Island) deal in Mileage Run Deals is still alive at $344 RT, but in March I'm doing the earlier version ($474, now feels expensive) with an award to MEX and stopover in SCL, so if you really jump on it sometimes a gift like that can come your way on FT. LIM was a possible stopover as well on that one (for $75), but seats are probably gone by now.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:21 pm

solo travel

My travel agent booked me on a G Adventures trip of the Inca trail (Peru) as a solo traveler and it was great. Half the group was singles and G Adventures gives you the single supplement option or room mate option.

G Adventures has lots of tours in Latin America.

There is also a cruise company for single passengers: www.singlescruise.com
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:45 pm

It's not like the Inca trail is such a massive tourist trap yet... there simply aren't *that* many people wanting to do that sort of hiking.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by LelandWB
It's not like the Inca trail is such a massive tourist trap yet... there simply aren't *that* many people wanting to do that sort of hiking.
When I was on my daytrip to Macchu Picchu I got some 4 hours at the site, which was mostly in the afternoon and at a time when a few trail hikers on the multi-day trip were hiking in. Definitely a jolly bunch with a feeling of real accomplishment that they'd done it. I think they even brought along a bit of booze for the occasion.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I dont like G adventures, but did like my 'tours' with Intrepid, Dragoman, Geckos, Imaginative Traveller, Tucan and Explore.
IMHO, if you are an inexperienced and/or solo traveller, these are a great way of seeing a place with virtually zero hassle, but with a lot of freedoms you wouldnt get on a standard coach tour.

check www.adventurecenter.com for more options, and then just go book on the company's own site.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: QR, EK, MH, AF, UL, BK
Hello,
why don't you try east asian countries ( Thailand, Cambodia...) ? These destinations are really cheap and so easy to travel. This is must for backpackers with little budget ! It is for me the perfect combination between culture and fun. People are so friendly and life is so cheap ...the best place for an introduction to backpacking... for less than 10 USD a day you can eat and sleep easily !! Just buy a lonely planet guide and hit the road :-)
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
http://en.eurovelo6.org/rubriques/ga...s/loire-nature

Romelle
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:45 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bodrum72
for less than 10 USD a day you can eat and sleep easily !!
OK if you are young, because at that cost it would be NON airconditioned room, i.e. fan only room in a very hot and humid place. Or shared room.

OTOH, it's not too hard to find aircon rooms for $20 or less, which is where I normally stay.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:31 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RustyC
Would also vote for Peru, where I just happen to be going in May (half on a paid Spirit ticket at $160-ish and half on an award on Spirit). Do be aware that it's the overcast season for Lima. It's a gastronomic capital (must try the ceviches)and worth a few days. Cuzco is above the cloud layer and I had great weather for the Macchu Picchu trip I did in May a couple of years ago. Do be aware it's twice as high as Denver...maybe in your 20s you still have ability to do a lot in thinner air, but for me the effects were noticeable. That's an area where it's easy to spend a week or more with all the various things you can see. There's also Arequipa and even the Amazon basin as possible further sidetrips.

Dunno if that MEX-IPC (Easter Island) deal in Mileage Run Deals is still alive at $344 RT, but in March I'm doing the earlier version ($474, now feels expensive) with an award to MEX and stopover in SCL, so if you really jump on it sometimes a gift like that can come your way on FT. LIM was a possible stopover as well on that one (for $75), but seats are probably gone by now.
I wouldn't think of Peru or Easter Island/Chile as budget options.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I wouldn't think of Peru or Easter Island/Chile as budget options.
Lima isn't very expensive. Getting there, OTOH, isn't cheap

Going to Machu Picchu is going to be a lot more expensive.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:54 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Lima isn't very expensive. Getting there, OTOH, isn't cheap

Going to Machu Picchu is going to be a lot more expensive.
Lima isn't exactly an adventure destination, in the usual sense of the word.

Peru has great topographic diversity, but for budget travel it's not ideal.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC/EK
I found travel in Peru quite cheap. It is a big country and thus many people fly to get around which can add up, but if you're taking the bus, staying in hostels, and watching your expenditures it can be very affordable (<$30/day). Getting to Machu Picchu doesn't have to be expensive either. There are lots of cheap walking tours to get there or you can simply take the train or bus to Aguas Calientes and walk up to the site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.