Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Is Vayama my best bet for a trip to Italy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:12 am
Original Poster

This is my first post, I see you all are really knowledgeable on the matter and you might be able to help.

I was trying to find a one way ticket to Milan Italy (MXP) from Seattle (SEA) anytime between the 15th to the end of February.
The cheapest I found is $514 (Lufthansa) from Vayama.com, I find mixed review online, did any of you ever use them?
A few months ago i found one way tickets for $300, seems like they are not available anymore.

So, do you guys think that is the cheapest i will find?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:09 am

Vayama does seem to have some of the best fares out there. I researched them yesterday too. I got the impression that the reviews were pretty favorable. Most negative reviews involved fees associated with changing flights. I'm considering giving them a try for a New York to Prague ticket this summer.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
while i have personally have not bought a ticket from Vayama they seem to be reputable site. I would just go for it.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: AS Gold, UA 2P, SPG Plat
Vayama is fine. I've bought tickets there before (2Y ago being the last time)

Check itasoftware.com (login as a guest). Try the month long search if your dates are flexible and check if a flight from Vancouver might be a better deal.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:41 am

VayamaVoice

In response to "Willydogusa's" question of if "vayama is my best bet for a trip to Italy?", I'd like to respond from a bit of a biased perspective, but providing a knowledgeable response as well.

I am the Customer Relations Manager for vayama.com. Although my role and responsibilities are wide in scope, one of the things I do is handle all major customer complaints if/when they occur. Given the total bookings vayama completes for customers on a monthly basis, the complaints are very low (well under 1% of total bookings completed). But if/when an issue comes up, I can tell you first hand, the issue is dealt with promptly with direct intervention and response from me.

I mention the above because as a consumer looking to make a major investment in travel, we all want to feel comfortable and confident in our buying decision. To that end [and to address "Willydogusa's" specific question], although vayama places no guarantee that we will ALWAYS have the lowest fare for the cities and dates of travel requested of our customers, we beat the competition more often than not. The best plane for getting the best price is to do your research then act when the price is right. Airline fares are very volatile and are based on supply and demand. As is the case with most products, the least expensive airfares sell out quickly.

Another general principal to keep in mind when purchasing airline tickets is, the lower the fare, the more restrictive the conditions of use. This includes the penalties for making changes should your trip plans change following purchase. I mention this because some times the “cheapest” isn’t always the best value.

With that said, read the Terms and Conditions carefully prior to purchase to make sure you understand what you're purchasing and the restrictions associated with the fare. I know it's easier to just brush all that fine print aside on the basis that it won't apply to you. But it really is in your best interest to make sure to read all that information. And if any of it is confusing.....ASK!

OK, so here's my final pitch for using vayama. For anyone reading this post, if you book through vayama and after the fact have any questions or concerns, send an email to [email protected]. Only myself and another Customer Service Manager will receive email to this account. As a result, I can promise you will get a prompt, educated, informative response from either one of us. And if there is an issue, we will do all we can to resolve the problem within the rules of the ticket(s) purchased. That's my guarantee to you!

Happy Travels!

Sincerely,
David
Vayama Customer Relations Manager
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I found a lower fare at Onetravel - $387. one way on Lufthansa for 2/16
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:23 pm

Steer clear of Vayama

Do not purchase your tickets through Vayama! This is what they offer as of 8/29/2011...

1) Be aware that they do not have a toll free number for their customers. You have to call long distance to California (650) area code, then you get re-routed to India (I think) to speak to someone whose proficient in English as a second language. I know this is the current trend in customer service, but when you get someone on the phone that doesn't know how to use proper pronouns, then it almost sounds as they're insulting you.

2) Second, be aware that the automated telephone system will disconnect your call at random. You have to call back several times before you finally get through to a sales representative.

3) Also note that they do nothing more than process your booking information. If you have issues with your flight they will tell you to work it out with the airlines, yet the airlines will tell you to work it out with Vayama since you did not purchase the ticket directly through the airlines. So it's a back and forth mess and it's very difficult to get anything resolved, especially if multiple carriers are involved.

4) Be prepared to be stuck with several hidden fees. They apply airline fees and their own fees (eg. double the change fees). I had to call and cancel my flight at the last minute due to hurricane Irene being directly in the flight path. I could not get any information as to whether the airlines and airports would even be operative. I've yet to know how much it is going to cost me when I reschedule my flight, but the last estimate brought the fees to half the cost of the ticket. I've read that there are other online booking agencies that do not generate change fees outside of what is incurred by the airlines, but I can't recall these sources at the time of composing this review.

Very poor customer service overall. There are plenty of other competitors to choose from. If your still not convinced, do a Google search for Vayama reviews. You'll will find plenty of other Vayama customers that have run into the same issues.

Last edited by anccert; Aug 28, 2011 at 11:49 pm Reason: added info
Old Aug 31, 2011, 1:27 pm

Vayama is good as long as you don't have to change your tickets. I bought an international ticket from them, cheapest on the web. They wanted $1145 for a change in date. Contacted the airline directly and amazing they allowed a direct change with them for only $600.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:35 pm
hgy

Thumbs down Vayama

Vayama is a terrible company. Do not be lured by discount prices because it is not worth it. I bought tickets for my family to Italy yesterday and it has turned into a major disappointment. I did not get what I thought I was getting. Vayama has zero customer service and they are not willing to fix problems they have caused.
Trust the negative reviews on this company.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Continental
I used them to book a FCO-PMO ticket on Alitalia a couple of years ago.
It was half the price of other websites. I had no problem.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:52 pm
sfx

Originally Posted by hgy
Vayama is a terrible company. Do not be lured by discount prices because it is not worth it. I bought tickets for my family to Italy yesterday and it has turned into a major disappointment. I did not get what I thought I was getting. Vayama has zero customer service and they are not willing to fix problems they have caused.
Trust the negative reviews on this company.
If you are going to slate a company, it is useful to say what the actual issue was...
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:07 am

Vayama prices really great multi-city tickets. However, buy from them only if you have concrete travel plans, otherwise you will get hit with astronomical change fees.

Once they quoted me a very high change fee. I called the airline directly, and they made the change for half the price. However, I still keep buying from Vayama. The prices are just too good.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:04 am
ADY

Thumbs down Terrible customer service - Buyer beware!

We booked international airline tickets for a family vacation through Vayama. We just found out that they incorrectly booked one of the tickets. Vayama is not willing to help correct their mistake and the airline can not help us because we did not book through them.
I have learned my lesson the hard way. Do not use Vayama. They will not help you nor will they correct mistakes made be their company. Read the reviews on Vayama and trust the negative comments.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:19 am

Bought international flights with them on two occasions. As long as you're not expecting much customer service (in any form), I think you'll be fine. Also don't even think about changing your flight dates.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:35 pm

Vayama is excellent IF AND ONLY IF you are 100% sure of your dates and travel and have absolutely zero plans of making any changes.

I've booked from them many times - cheap fares and you can get the airline confirmation numbers/ticket numbers to log in airline and select seats, enter frequent flyer numbers etc

Once out of those many times, I had to make a flight change - it was a huge ordeal - several calls to customer service, even had to do a 3-way call with Vayama & airline rep once. On top of that, both the airline change fee (which vayama doesn't control) and vayama's own change fee. If booked directly through the airline, a change could mostly be done by a few clicks online and with lesser fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.