Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite low-cost hotels in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

These days when I'm staying in Tokyo, if I'm not with friends I'm going for the cheapest reasonable accommodation I can get, which is usually Hotel New Koyo at ~$25 for a single or ~$40 for a double per night. It's not bad -- located near Ueno, 7-8 minutes' walk to the metro, not sharing a room with strangers as I would be at a hostel. But lately I've been looking at staying closer to Shimokitazawa or other fun areas of the city when I travel. Anyone else here have any particular recommendations for Tokyo budget accommodation?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP

I just know of the Sakura hostel near asakusa. there might have been a similar one nearby but i cant recall. wish I could help some more but that place can at least get you onto the Ginza line

I'd be interested in some more places too =]
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:30 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I've stayed in Minami Senju before- that area has some singles for less than US$40 a night, though it's not near "much." If I recall, a supermarket existed on the main hotel drag, and the area by one of the train stations had a few eats.

Otherwise, I've used Ace Inn by Akebonobashi (Shinjuku/Ichigaya-ish). They rent out bikes too.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA executive club
tokyo on the cheapo

Not sure this would necessarily suit your style of travelling, but when I was in Tokyo, I had fun staying in internet cafes, capsule hotels and urban camping!

It's actually quite common for people to stay overnight in internet cafes, they even have sofa beds and showers which you can use (as well as free drink refills). It was the cheapest accommodation I could find available (apart from camping or couchsurfing) and quite popular with the cyber-homeless (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_cafe_refugee).
While in Tokyo, I would take a small bag containing several changes of clothes and shove my main backpack (a MEI voyageur) in the largest coin locker available at one of the metro stations, leave it there for several days. I could then roam around the town and just find an internet cafe wherever I ended up at the end of the night!

As for the capsule hotel, I avoided the touristy ones and found one in a downtown working class area which was much cheaper. It was male only, and I found it super comfy and spacious actually. It also came with onsen as well.

For urban camping, there was a spot on the west side of town near the river which was great - right next to the river so you can bath, secluded but close enough to the city. Sorry I forget all the names of the areas I stayed in, but you can find lots of info here about urban camping http://wikitravel.org/en/Urban_camping_in_Japan

Hitchhiking in Japan is also great fun if you want to consider that as well.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hitchhiking_in_Japan
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jonbai
Tokyo on the cheapo
Welcome to FT jonbai !

Wow, what a great first post ^

I'm off to TYO in just under two months, and while I have some resources already, will look into your suggestions.

EmailKid
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by jonbai
Not sure this would necessarily suit your style of travelling, but when I was in Tokyo, I had fun staying in internet cafes, capsule hotels and urban camping!

It's actually quite common for people to stay overnight in internet cafes, they even have sofa beds and showers which you can use (as well as free drink refills). It was the cheapest accommodation I could find available (apart from camping or couchsurfing) and quite popular with the cyber-homeless (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_cafe_refugee).
While in Tokyo, I would take a small bag containing several changes of clothes and shove my main backpack (a MEI voyageur) in the largest coin locker available at one of the metro stations, leave it there for several days. I could then roam around the town and just find an internet cafe wherever I ended up at the end of the night!

As for the capsule hotel, I avoided the touristy ones and found one in a downtown working class area which was much cheaper. It was male only, and I found it super comfy and spacious actually. It also came with onsen as well.

For urban camping, there was a spot on the west side of town near the river which was great - right next to the river so you can bath, secluded but close enough to the city. Sorry I forget all the names of the areas I stayed in, but you can find lots of info here about urban camping http://wikitravel.org/en/Urban_camping_in_Japan

Hitchhiking in Japan is also great fun if you want to consider that as well.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hitchhiking_in_Japan
It might have changed recently (but why would it have?), but I've gotten a lot of guff from internet cafes in Japan when it's my first time using that particular chain- namely because I haven't had a local address/mobile number to use. Though, I'm not sure of the procedures for staying overnight.

Registering to use internet cafes often requires your passport, but staying overnight at the place you'd have it anyway (one would hope).

Also, if smoking bothers you, not all net cafes will be appealing to you.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:22 pm

Thanks for this thread. Gave me enough idea to choose from.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:46 pm

There's plenty of good hostels and capsule hotels. AirBnb can get you a cheap room if you need. Also, there's always Couchsufring. Sleeping in an internet cafe isn't my thing, but if its yours I guess any 24-hour business would work (such as McDonalds).
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: UA, NW
You don't need to rough it by staying at a capsule (full of drunk men, and you have to leave during the day) or an Internet cafe. And please, the "urban camping" sites will put you in a colony of homeless people living in boxes, which may be interesting, but not my first choice.

Here are three budget hotel chains that will get you a small but spotless room with private bath, TV, wi-fi, and maybe a bit of breakfast for $70-80 a night:

Toyoko Inn
Comfort Hotel
Super Hotel

All have several properties in Tokyo. Expect something like a college dorm room. That's my preferred way to travel to Japan. The hotels are simple but clean and safe, and unlike a capsule, you can go back to your room during the day for a nap or to drop off souvenirs if you feel like it.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:55 pm

Cheap places to stay in Tokyo

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I've stayed in Minami Senju before- that area has some singles for less than US$40 a night, though it's not near "much."
I remember a list of Tokyo economy hotels in that area. An American traveler said she liked the Aizuya Inn. The Kangaroo Hotel looked pretty nice for a budget price range. Tiny rooms, but hipster feel. Haven't stayed there myself, though.

The YMCA Asia Youth Center Hotel is one option. The location seems to have changed; now it's close to the Imperial Palace. Back when I went years ago, it was closer to Aoyama-Itchome metro station.

If you're interested in hostels, Quality Hostel K's House Tokyo Oasis was an excellent hostel, one of the nicest I've stayed in while traveling around Asia. Felt traditional, but with all the modern amenities. They have another branch in Tokyo that feels more like a standard backpacker hostel, clean but functional.

I've actually made a video of my best Japan budget travel tips. Not sure if I'm allowed to put a link to my website here. So I just sent you a private message.

Last edited by StreetSmartTraveler; Mar 4, 2013 at 7:01 pm
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness
You don't need to rough it by staying at a capsule (full of drunk men, and you have to leave during the day) or an Internet cafe. And please, the "urban camping" sites will put you in a colony of homeless people living in boxes, which may be interesting, but not my first choice.

Here are three budget hotel chains that will get you a small but spotless room with private bath, TV, wi-fi, and maybe a bit of breakfast for $70-80 a night:

Toyoko Inn
Comfort Hotel
Super Hotel

All have several properties in Tokyo. Expect something like a college dorm room. That's my preferred way to travel to Japan. The hotels are simple but clean and safe, and unlike a capsule, you can go back to your room during the day for a nap or to drop off souvenirs if you feel like it.
Last month, I noticed something (finally) at a Toyoko Inn in Kitakyushu that might have also spread to its cousins in Tokyo- wifi.

In the context of this forum, those three chains aren't budget, and even in Tokyo, they aren't the cheapest non-hostels/capsules/net cafes. But, they are consistently clean, and sometimes, the Toyoko Inns have laundry facilities too.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:01 pm

I believe my wife snagged us a double at the APA Kodenmacho-ekimae for 5800 yen off Agoda last year. Small room (relatively speaking) of course but the room seemed pretty new and had free Internet (RJ45). No free breakfast tho.
Not sure if that was just a lucky find because I couldn't find a similar rate for a trip this year but APA hotels are definitely on the list of places we'll be checking when we travel to Japan.

FWIW, we've stayed in a private room at a K's Hostel and at Toyoko Inns and have no complaints either.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Jay71
I believe my wife snagged us a double at the APA Kodenmacho-ekimae for 5800 yen off Agoda last year. Small room (relatively speaking) of course but the room seemed pretty new and had free Internet (RJ45). No free breakfast tho.
Not sure if that was just a lucky find because I couldn't find a similar rate for a trip this year but APA hotels are definitely on the list of places we'll be checking when we travel to Japan.

FWIW, we've stayed in a private room at a K's Hostel and at Toyoko Inns and have no complaints either.
Not to mention, if you were staying at the APA Kodenmacho-ekimae this month (presumably) the rate in dollars would be a bit more pleasant. For that nape of the woods, ¥5800 was a good deal.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:39 am

I suggest searching Rakuten for the best deals in Tokyo. Might need to use google translate. Has hotel reviews as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.