Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Exclamation Learn Surfing: Where? Cheap long term stay, Lessons & Boards

Learn Surfing: Where? Cheap long term stay, Lessons & Boards

I want to take 2-3 months off, maybe more and go somewhere in the world where:

GOAL:
- Learn to Surf...& spend time focused on learning
- Enough / to get to decent skill level to be able to get back to REGULAR surfing
- Once I get a day JOB and get started with REGULAR life, I don't want to have to come back to US/Europe and again have to take lessons

INEXPENSIVE LOCATION: (A good $ to local currency ratio)
- Learning / Lessons would be relatively cheaper
- Long term Living would be cheaper (in terms of dollar exchange rates)
- Waves & Location are good for newbies/ Learners, helping them pickup a decent skill level

AND:
- Is hopefully safe (Don't get kidnapped, messed over Turistas style)
- Can find a similar Peer Group who would help to learn surf, make friends, do other things when the days Surf & energy is over.

PLEASE SUGGEST:
- The best places to go based on above stuff
- Good Beginner & Learning Locations & Cost info (Lessons & Boards, Long term Stay etc)

(I am guessing Asia / Latin America would be cheaper? I am also told South Africa/ around Cape & towns)
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:59 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
San Juan del Sur in Nicaragua comes to mind.

Not too much in this Wikipedia entry, but there are some links. I've never been there, but understand it's popular. I've been to Nica, and can assure you it's very cheap. Don't take local buses, as you will likely be victim of petty crime, but otherwise a pretty safe country, especially in the Gringo area down south.

Also El Salvador is known for surfing, but it's going to be a little more expensive.

Another upside, relatively cheap and quick to get to.

EmailKid
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Tons of great places.

Kuta Beach in Bali is wonderful for learning. Board rentals are cheap, and the beach boys will usually give u a lesson for free. It's a beach break. It's a tad crowded tho. There are some excellent surf camps you can join - then you'll have friends to learn with - they take u to breaks - free lessons.

Honolulu is actually a pretty good place. Yes its not amazingly cheap there, but a hostel bed can be had for $20-$30, or you can camp cheaply. And since airfare there can be a lot cheaper than flying afar, it might be a good spot.

Costa Rica has some good learner spots. I heard the hostels at the learner breaks give free surfboard rentals.

I did a bit of surfing in Playa El Tunco in El Salvador. Hostel beds around $10/nt. Board $5/day. Crowded tho.

I wasn't a big fan of the surf in San Juan del Sur. Ya gotta get to the breaks, which is $5 at least for the hostel shuttle, and then rentals weren't cheap.

I liked the beach breaks in Ecuador, and the water is still warm.

Other cheap places to consider: Morocco, Sri Lanka.

Whatever you do decide, be sure to take lessons - it's a tough sport to pick up.

Haha, check this article they have a bunch of the spots

http://matadornetwork.com/trips/10-b...-should-avoid/

Let us know where you end up!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
I'm not a surfer dude so not qualified to assess recommendations but I have heard Arica in Northern Chile recommended for learning to surf ...
Old May 1, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: Still working on being loyal
popoyo beach, Nicaragua ~1.5 hours from san juan del sur, much less crowded, a little street with multiple hostels for cheap right on the beach with surf 50 ft away.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Thanks you all

I have invitations to stay and be taught surfing in Western Costa Rica and Northern Brazil.

Let see when I can make that happen.

In the meantime, if anyone has more suggestions on this subject.. Do share.

PS: Especially, the Sri Lanka thing. That should be "inexpensive" I am guessing?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:06 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Where did you end up going? Were your united from Flyertalkers?

I'm considering doing the same thing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.