Wiki Posts
Search

Problem booking Lionair

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Problem booking Lionair

Been trying numerous times to book some flights on Lionair/Indonesia.
Unfortunately, credit card does not go thru, despite having notified Visa, who says all is fine. Does anybody have similar experience and found a solution?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Been trying numerous times to book some flights on Lionair/Indonesia.
Unfortunately, credit card does not go thru, despite having notified Visa, who says all is fine. Does anybody have similar experience and found a solution?
I've heard of others having problems. I know that even on Air Asia sometimes the same credit card I use most of the time won't work. I have a debit business Visa card that always seems to work, though.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:50 pm

Hello, I had same your problem when last november I tried to book the flight with Lyonair.

Root cause is because your credit card is not Indonesian (issued by an Indonesian bank). I solved this problem by contacting(on internet) an indonesia travel agency which booked for me the flight. They took a percentage of the ticket's amount and I payed them by using paypal.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Once I got thru a verification "page", where I was asked to enter addl personal information - but it still did not go thru. Tried now 2 different cards, after verifying with issuing bank > no go! This is a pain.

Meanwhile, other flights were successfully booked with AirAsia & Jetstar/Valuair using same credit cards.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I also had problems with domestic indonesian carriers. I used dwidayatravel.com on a few occasions. They used to be, and perhaps still are, Amex's local agent in Indonesia. In fact, I was able to pay them with Amex. Good luck.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum 7+ million miles
Had the same problem as the OP. Wouldn't accept U.S Visa cc on their website. I found a soloution at Itravelindonesia.com. They made the reservation for me and accepted payment via Paypal. There was a little surcharge added but well worth it as I needed to get from Bali to Menado.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I haven't booked LionAir but did book on Air Asia and they didn't honor my ticket, claiming the card had a fraud. Go figure. Probably best to go thru a travel agent and you don't want to arrive at the airport like my friend did and get turned away.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
I haven't booked LionAir but did book on Air Asia and they didn't honor my ticket, claiming the card had a fraud. Go figure. Probably best to go thru a travel agent and you don't want to arrive at the airport like my friend did and get turned away.
I've used US credit cards on Air Asia dozens of times. Never a problem, as long as the charge went through. I have one card that always works, but has a 3% surcharge on foreign charges. On another cash back card, it works about half the time, but usually only for 1 charge. If I put through more than that, it won't work.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Is this still an issue with Lion Air? I tried different cards to make payment to no avail.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Is this still an issue with Lion Air? I tried different cards to make payment to no avail.
You might have to go through an Indonesian OTA.

Try searching on skyscanner.com and see what otas it brings up.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Been having problems with AirAsia the past few months buying w USA credit card online.

My recent DPS-JKT ticket wouldn't go thru. Tried the other local sites that show up in Skyscanner (tiket.com, ticket2.com, etc) and they didn't work. Fortunately NusaTrip.com worked, and was cheaper than AA anyway since they charged fewer fees. Yay, but two hours wasted trying three cards and even calling my CC back home to make sure it was working.

Wonder when AA will figure it out, can they really worry that much about fraud on a $50 ticket?

I did buy a LionAir Thai ticket online last year without issue.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Been having problems with AirAsia the past few months buying w USA credit card online.

My recent DPS-JKT ticket wouldn't go thru. Tried the other local sites that show up in Skyscanner (tiket.com, ticket2.com, etc) and they didn't work. Fortunately NusaTrip.com worked, and was cheaper than AA anyway since they charged fewer fees. Yay, but two hours wasted trying three cards and even calling my CC back home to make sure it was working.

Wonder when AA will figure it out, can they really worry that much about fraud on a $50 ticket?

I did buy a LionAir Thai ticket online last year without issue.
Many SEA credit cards have extra security, as there is a bit of fraud. The most common is that they text you a 6 digit security code that you have to enter within 5 minutes to confirm the purchase.

If you are already in Indonesia there are lots of payment options, including being able to pay at some ATMs, convenience stores.

Air Asia has a credit card fee per traveller which adds up quick. These other methods are much cheaper.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:48 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Many SEA credit cards have extra security, as there is a bit of fraud. The most common is that they text you a 6 digit security code that you have to enter within 5 minutes to confirm the purchase.

If you are already in Indonesia there are lots of payment options, including being able to pay at some ATMs, convenience stores.

Air Asia has a credit card fee per traveller which adds up quick. These other methods are much cheaper.
Although I haven't yet had success with my non-Indo credit card buying a ticket with any local airline other than Air Asia, the physical Lion Air offices never had an issue with the swipe.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:27 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Although I haven't yet had success with my non-Indo credit card buying a ticket with any local airline other than Air Asia, the :-: physical Lion Air offices :-: never had an issue with the swipe.
I think this is the :-: key :-:
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:44 pm

I used a Singapore issued credit card without any issue. In fact, I ended up getting charged LESS than the was on the original payment page. The tickets were showing up $160SGD or so on the payment screen, but the charge (and my confirmation email) ended up being ~$140. A very pleasant surprise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.