Reload this Page >

Budget Travel on MEGABUS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget Travel on MEGABUS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:08 pm

Okay, i am "leaning" towards Megabus for a trip to NYC from Philly. I plan to reseve the front upper level seats for my kids and wife. I wish they offered 5 seats across the front so i could sit there too, but hopefully i'll end up right behind them. This website has help make up my mind immensely.

I was going to take Amtrak - too costly.

Drive... it still wouldn't be that bad, but i want the kids to enjoy the view.

I have a 12, 8, and 4 YO. How clean are the bathrooms, or they are... what any public transportation bathroom is?

Also, since i'm going to the world trade, should i try to walk it, or just catch the bus or taxi.

Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rob774

I have a 12, 8, and 4 YO. How clean are the bathrooms, or they are... what any public transportation bathroom is?
I don't think anyone can answer this reliably for your trip, because what if you have some passengers who make poor use of it? I think the bathroom is supposed to be cleaned before the trip. However, I think I have never used one on MegaBus (a policy I try to follow if I possibly can on buses). This review reports a nice, clean bathroom on MegaBus:

http://mreverydaydollar.com/getting-...uncomfortable/
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Rob774
Okay, i am "leaning" towards Megabus for a trip to NYC from Philly. I plan to reseve the front upper level seats for my kids and wife. I wish they offered 5 seats across the front so i could sit there too, but hopefully i'll end up right behind them. This website has help make up my mind immensely.

I was going to take Amtrak - too costly.

Drive... it still wouldn't be that bad, but i want the kids to enjoy the view.

Also, since i'm going to the world trade, should i try to walk it, or just catch the bus or taxi.

Thanks.
The WTC is not really walkable from the Megabus stop at 7th Avenue & 28th Street. However, you might look into whether Bolt Bus still offers service between Philadelphia and lower Manhattan (101 6th Avenue, near Grand Street). That stop would be much closer to the WTC.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The WTC is not really walkable from the Megabus stop at 7th Avenue & 28th Street. However, you might look into whether Bolt Bus still offers service between Philadelphia and lower Manhattan (101 6th Avenue, near Grand Street). That stop would be much closer to the WTC.
Thanks.
Bolt did indeed put me closer, but its still a 26 minute hike.
I think either way, we'll still be hoping a bus or taxi. That's a bit of a walk for small legs, especially when you have to walk the museum too.

The price ended up being the same, because i had reserved 4 seats coming and going on the MB. Having the 2nd deck really makes me still lean towards MB.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel
I don't think anyone can answer this reliably for your trip, because what if you have some passengers who make poor use of it? I think the bathroom is supposed to be cleaned before the trip. However, I think I have never used one on MegaBus (a policy I try to follow if I possibly can on buses). This review reports a nice, clean bathroom on MegaBus:

http://mreverydaydollar.com/getting-...uncomfortable/
thanks for the link, i hope we are as lucky as this person, although, i too try not to use public transportation facilities. But when you have kids...

Going up, we'll be fine, i'll make sure everyone pee's prior to. Coming back will be the problem. Can't really time that as easily vs getting up in the morning.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I think either way, we'll still be hoping a bus or taxi."

Consider hopping on a southbound #1 subway at 7th Avenue & 28th Street to Chambers Street. Your four-year-old rides for free. (A taxi for five passengers might not be easy to find, so unless you want to hold your little one on your lap, a taxi is not a practical option.)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:40 am

"I think either way, we'll still be hoping a bus or taxi."

Consider hopping on a southbound #1 subway at 7th Avenue & 28th Street to Chambers Street. Your four-year-old rides for free. (A taxi for five passengers might not be easy to find, so unless you want to hold your little one on your lap, a taxi is not a practical option.)
Great advice!

Thank You!
Old May 2, 2015, 10:40 am

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread buying two seats for one person. Has anyone actually done this? Were the drivers ok with it?

Megabus is so cheap from Chicago to Detroit compared to the alternatives it seems like a no-brainer. Even buying two reserved seats is about half the cost of Amtrak, which is half the cost of Flight. It's Downtown to Downtown too.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Sorry if this has already been discussed. The search terms I have in my head produced zero results.

Is it possible to get off the bus early, before your actual destination? "Skiplag" it. Hidden city itinerary.

For example, if I book Megabus Fort Lauderdale -Tampa, can I deboard at Downtown Miami? And if I book Miami - Orlando, can I get off the bus at Fort Lauderdale?

I know Tri-Rail runs that route, but I am curious if it's possible. I can't imagine the driver remembers who's going where. The downtown Miami pick-up/drop-off would be slightly more convenient (vs Tri-Rail MIA Airport stop) and would $ave me 7 bucks and change.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boxo
Sorry if this has already been discussed. The search terms I have in my head produced zero results.

Is it possible to get off the bus early, before your actual destination? "Skiplag" it. Hidden city itinerary.

For example, if I book Megabus Fort Lauderdale -Tampa, can I deboard at Downtown Miami? And if I book Miami - Orlando, can I get off the bus at Fort Lauderdale?

I know Tri-Rail runs that route, but I am curious if it's possible. I can't imagine the driver remembers who's going where. The downtown Miami pick-up/drop-off would be slightly more convenient (vs Tri-Rail MIA Airport stop) and would $ave me 7 bucks and change.
I haven't researched this, but I would be surprised if Megabus' tariffs prohibited hidden-city ticketing. Just bear in mind, though, that Megabus is only obligated to get you from your ticketed origin to your ticketed destination. If, for whatever reason, the bus driver omitted an en-route stop, you'd have no basis to complain.

I presume that you would not be carrying any luggage other than carry-on, correct?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"if I book Megabus Fort Lauderdale -Tampa, can I deboard at Downtown Miami?"

Are you sure that the FLL-TPA bus goes south to MIA before it goes north to TPA? I would think that the schedule would be MIA-FLL-TPA, not FLL-MIA-TPA, but I'm not certain.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:34 pm

Are you sure that the FLL-TPA bus goes south to MIA before it goes north to TPA? I would think that the schedule would be MIA-FLL-TPA, not FLL-MIA-TPA, but I'm not certain.
Absolutely NOT sure. Their bus stop mapper doesn't show the actual route, just information for the end points. I thought maybe the route is via Miami because the google map directions driving time roughly matches, 4.5 hrs vs 5 hrs.

Tri-Rail will work fine, but just thought I'd throw this scenario out here to see if anyone knew the Florida routes.

Oh, and in response to your carry-on question - I travel with an average school kid size backpack.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boxo

Absolutely NOT sure. Their bus stop mapper doesn't show the actual route, just information for the end points. I thought maybe the route is via Miami because the google map directions driving time roughly matches, 4.5 hrs vs 5 hrs.

Tri-Rail will work fine, but just thought I'd throw this scenario out here to see if anyone knew the Florida routes.

Oh, and in response to your carry-on question - I travel with an average school kid size backpack.
For any specific Megabus trip, you can view the trip's full schedule (including all the intermediate stops) by clicking on the "View" button next to "Schedule."
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
For any specific Megabus trip, you can view the trip's full schedule (including all the intermediate stops) by clicking on the "View" button next to "Schedule."
Yup, that's exactly right.

I have yet to try this service, though I've wanted to for a long time.

Believe they store buses in Grande Prairie here in north Texas, and you can start your journey there before going to Dallas, and basically backtracking on the way Austin or San Antonio (IIRC they serve both).

Though this may be dated info, as I haven't looked at routing recently, and when Megabus first started, they did not have permission to stop in Dallas, so you had to shlep to Grande Prairie.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:39 pm

^ Aha, thanks guys. Looks like it wouldn't be a problem Miami - Fort Lauderdale, but Fort Lauderdale - Tampa has no intermediate stops.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who has gotten off hidden-city early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.