Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrifty $1 one way rentals from SEA,PDX,BOI

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Thrifty $1 one way rentals from SEA,PDX,BOI

Thrifty rent a car is offering $1.00 0ne way rentals from Seattle,Portland or Boise to California, Arizona, 7 days max, see Thrifty web site for details
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Sounds like they need to relocate some cars from the Northwest to California and the Southwest. Here are the details:

Drive one-way for $1/day

Rent a Mid-size car for only $1.00/day when you pick up and drop off at one of the locations listed below between September 21 - October 31, 2010.

If you drop off at a location other than one listed below, you will be charged a $65.00/day rate plus a one-way drop-fee.

Seven day maximum allowed. Cars kept past this time will charged a $65.00/day rate plus a one-way drop fee.

Vehicles must be returned to one of the participating drop locations or renters will be charged $65.00/day for each rental day, plus appropriate drop fee if applicable. A limited number of vehicles are available and may or may not include a Mid-size car. We reserve the right to cancel your reservation if your pick-up and drop-off location is the same.

Pick up airport locations:
Boise (BOI)
Portland (PDX)
Seattle (SEA)

Drop off airport locations:
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Diego (SAN)
Ontario (ONT)
Palm Springs (PSP)
Orange County (SNA)
Las Vegas (LAS)
Phoenix (PHX)
Tucson (TUS)
San Francisco (SFO)
Oakland (OAK)
San Jose (SJC)

Terms and Conditions

• Return vehicle to a participating drop location to avoid a $65.00/day rate along with applicable drop charges. This special offer may only be obtained by booking the reservation online through our website or by calling our reservation center.
• Optional LDW ranges from $9.99 to $25.99 per day depending upon vehicle type and location.
• Check your automobile insurance policy or credit card protection for rental vehicle coverage.
• A limited number of vehicles are available at this promotional rate at participating locations and may or may not include a midsize.
• Rental has a 7-day maximum rental period.
• Holiday and other blackout periods may apply.
• Renter must meet minimum age, driver and credit requirements.
• Offer applies to drivers 21 and over.
• Unlimited mileage may be geographically restricted.
• Taxes, surcharges, vehicle license recoupment fees, vehicle license tax recoupment fees, additional driver fee and optional items, such as refueling, are extra.
• Airport concession fees, customer facility charge or airport access fees if you choose to exit on our shuttle may apply at some airports.
• Additional charges may apply.
• Offer not combinable with any other offer or promotion and has no cash value.
• Early return or late return fees may apply if you return the vehicle before or after the reserved due date.

http://www.thrifty.com/deals/feature...D3_0921_zt_h_1
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt Platinum
Sweet! Just booked a 7-day rental from PDX to SAN starting October 22.

Going to do the drive in two days, but will keep the car another five to run up miles (not just on the car, of course, but 150/day on AA as well!).
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:53 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Coachman
Going to do the drive in two days...
Seems like a waste to do it in two days

PCH from northern California is spectacular, and a day in San Fran is always good.

But what a deal. Wish I could take advantage of it

EmailKid
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt Platinum
Agreed - two days is not ideal. But days off are not something I can make happen right now. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to take 3-4 months(!) off during the spring/summer.

But now that I think about it, I'm already feeling kind of sick on Monday, October 24th.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I've been looking for a cheap road trip. Just booked Halloween weekend (F-M) from SEA to SFO. Damn taxes take it to $30 for the four days, but better than burning a Hertz award.

I managed to get an open jaw Delta award DTW-SEA, SFO-DTW for only 25K miles. Red eye landing at 6:30 Tuesday morning and being at work at 7:30 is going to suck, but can't beat a 3 1/2 day weekend for basically free.

It fills my need for an annual trip to places I have never been, including PDX and probably Reno/Tahoe. I'll try to work in a trip to Mount St. Helen's too if weather cooperates.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like Boise is no longer available - not listed on the website, and a dummy booking add in a ~$300 one-way fee.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Just completed SEA-SFO over the weekend. A word of warning - you may not get a midsize. They apparently have a preselected set of vehicles they are repatriating to their home states - my guess since my rental had CA plates. I had a choice of a minivan or Suburban. Took the minivan with 49K miles and angry sounding rear brakes. My $22 rental ended up costing another $150 in gas for the 1100 miles I drove. I would hate to see what that would have been in a Suburban, or have had to deal with a 15 passenger van on mountain passes.

It is probably wise to book early in the promotion period to get a better choice of cars for promotions like this. You also might want to call the location direct to see what you will get. I might have canceled the entire thing if my options were worse.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by amtbooks
I tried several days from PDX, nothing shows up.
Probably because this offer was originally posted a month and a half ago, and the time period to rent the cars was September 21 - October 31. (See post #2 above for the terms and conditions of the offer.) Since we're past the end of the promotion, I'm not surprised that nothing shows up.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
I'm not surprised that nothing shows up.
Poster knew that

It was Post padding, and such was deleted. Sorry you wasted your time replying a nonsense post.

EmailKid
Budget Travel moderator
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:26 am

A word of warning - you may not get a midsize. They apparently have a preselected set of vehicles they are repatriating to their home states - my guess since my rental had CA plates.

Probably not to their home states necessarily. Others have gotten $1/day deals elsewhere in the country where the plates didn't matter, such as CO plates from DEN last May to drive to Chicago. It may be something to do with the CA emissions law not liking out of state rental cars, although there's been some debate here to what extent and which companies follow it. Word has it that Hertz and Dollar do, whereas Avis and National do not.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:32 pm

Any idea of similar on the East Coast?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.