Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit Air featured on NPR's Planet Money

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist

I regularly listen to NPR's "Planet Money" podcast and the episode that aired on Friday Feb 14 was all about Spirit Air. Have a listen here:

Episode 517: The Fastest Growing, Least Popular Airline In America: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/...ine-in-america

"It's cheap to fly on Spirit Airlines, but you have to pay extra for perks. And by perks, we mean a bottle of water or space in the overhead bin.
It's totally rational: pay for what you use, don't pay for what you don't use. And it's increasingly popular: Spirit is the fastest growing airline in America.
And yet. Lots of people really don't like Spirit Airlines. In a Consumer Reports survey published last year, Spirit finished last among U.S. airlines.
How is the fastest growing airline also the least popular? On today's show, we fly Spirit Airlines to Florida and ask the CEO."
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, AA, US
so let them grow and expand with their business model if it works for them... let them compete with the bigger airlines... competition is always good... let's just hope the legacies realize that while the spirit model may work for spirit, for occasional travelers and vacationers, the ff and hvf market won't tolerate their games
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DLMIAHVF
...the ff and hvf market won't tolerate their games
They'll have to if they have no choice.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:51 am

What happened to pay toilets on Ryan Air? I guess it's up to Spirit to find new ways to lower standards. But, if it works, it is what it is. Wow, how things have changed from PanAm days!
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Tailgater
What happened to pay toilets on Ryan Air? I guess it's up to Spirit to find new ways to lower standards. But, if it works, it is what it is. Wow, how things have changed from PanAm days!
If we were paying anywhere close to the fare levels (adjusted for inflation) that we did during PA's glory days, then we would still be getting the ROYAL treatment that PA gave in those days!

Over 30 years ago, I paid $339 for my first trip home from college at Christmas (lowest sale fare from BOS-SEA) - still have the paper ticket receipt. Adjusted for inflation, that would have the LOWEST sale fare in that market at nearly $900 round trip. If we were paying a minimum of$900 roundtrip on transcon flights, there would be free bags, 34" of legroom, free meals on flights over 75 minutes, the latest IFE systems on every plane (but maybe not free as they charged back then), extra FA's, steak for dinner, etc.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:42 pm

DTW-MBJ round trip, April 22nd-April 29th.

Spirit $394
Airtran $462
US Air $499
AA $545
Delta $542

Prepay for checked bag on Spirit, $21 (cheaper than EVERY other carrier almost), second checked bag is $31. Only downside is prepaid carry-on bag is $26 and overweight fees begin at 40lbs.

You really do save with Spirit. Even if it is just $4 on checked bag fees for the first bag. Just stuff everything in one 40lb or lighter bag.

Only downside is Spirit's pitch and width - and its marginally worse than Airtran. For those of us under 6ft tall, and not overweight - this is not bad. The connections on their flights are pretty reasonable. I am SUPER glad we have options. I wish we had more.

http://customersupport.spirit.com/at...rit+-+1Q14.pdf

PDF is the onboard menu. 2 pops for $5...okay a little bit of a rip off. But the snacks are pretty appropriately priced when compared to most other carriers. Even compared to Aer Lingus. For goodness sakes, they even sell RAMAN on board....

Only downside is they sell hardly anything. Blueberry muffins, raman,trail mix, combos...,m&m's.....nothing to really sustain you. Nothing healthy either. But I get it...promotional product placement, lower fares. Great!

Last edited by factory81; Feb 18, 2014 at 11:21 am
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
I've never flown Spirit and I'll never fly Spirit. My decision is based on stories from friends and from helping a friend resolve a flight problem by calling. Basically never got through to anyone who could help him. Among the many '0' ratings, customer service comes in at -5.
Their business model motto should be "there is a fool born every minute". As long as there are new customers (born every minute) they will have customers. I can't imagine anyone flying them twice.
I just flew to San Diego for $10. Why would I need Spirit
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
Originally Posted by factory81
DTW-MBJ round trip, April 22nd-April 29th.

Spirit $394
Airtran $462
US Air $499
AA $545
Delta $542

Prepay for checked bag on Spirit, $21 (cheaper than EVERY other carrier almost), second checked bag is $31. Only downside is prepaid carry-on bag is $26 and overweight fees begin at 40lbs.

You really do save with Spirit. Even if it is just $4 on checked bag fees for the first bag. Just stuff everything in one 40lb or lighter bag.

Only downside is Spirit's pitch and width - and its marginally worse than Airtran. For those of us under 6ft tall, and not overweight - this is not bad. The connections on there flights are pretty reasonable. I am SUPER glad we have options. I wish we had more.

http://customersupport.spirit.com/at...rit+-+1Q14.pdf

PDF is the onboard menu. 2 pops for $5...okay a little bit of a rip off. But the snacks are pretty appropriately priced when compared to most other carriers. Even compared to Aer Lingus. For goodness sakes, they even sell RAMAN on board....

Only downside is they sell hardly anything. Blueberry muffins, raman,trail mix, combos...,m&m's.....nothing to really sustain you. Nothing healthy either. But I get it...promotional product placement, lower fares. Great!
Your numbers are way off. You are assuming someone is a member of their $9 fare club (whatever that is) and paid fees in advance of check-in. For the average consumer:

Ticket: $394
Carry-on bag: $45 (I'll throw you a bone and assume one pays during OLCI, not at the gate)
Drink: $3
Boarding Pass: $10
TOTAL: $452

Although you can argue some may not pay the fees above, there are plenty of others I did not include (seat assignment, etc.). I do not consider a nearly 10% reduction in seat pitch "marginal," and when you combine all of this with the poor customer service, you are not getting more for your money.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
They'll have to if they have no choice.
you sound like someone who's been through the trauma of being a FF on UA
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Clincher
I'vparte never flown Spirit and I'll never fly Spirit. My decision is based on stories from friends and from helping a friend resolve a flight problem by calling. Basically never got through to anyone who could help him. Among the many '0' ratings, customer service comes in at -5.
Their business model motto should be "there is a fool born every minute". As long as there are new customers (born every minute) they will have customers. I can't imagine anyone flying them twice.
I just flew to San Diego for $10. Why would I need Spirit
and yet honestly, some sick part of me is curious and wants to try spirit... just once...on a short flight, so I can see it for myself...then back to DAL flying RU
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:54 pm

Well there is a market for spirit...I understand its not everyone's cup of tea. Last week for example an overnight roundtrip dfw-msy that I flew was $51...all said and done. Since it was just one night I had a small bag that fit under the seat. The flight was on time both ways. Lowest fare on other carriers was around $300.

Keep in mind though...

- Flights later in the day tend to be delayed
- There is ONE flight a day each way...miss it and you are done
- They don't have any arrangements with any other airlines

But hey...it worked for me (BTW I'm a 2M miler on Delta and 1M on AA)
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:15 am
Suspended

So well said.

so let them grow and expand with their business model if it works for them... let them compete with the bigger airlines... competition is always good... let's just hope the legacies realize that while the spirit model may work for spirit, for occasional travelers and vacationers, the ff and hvf market won't tolerate their games
So well said + + +

I am a DL DM and 3MM and if DL tries to charge for toilet use, etc., I am gone.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
So well said + + +

even if they have a medallion toilet fee waiver with complementary toilet paper if u spend 25k on ur DL credit card?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:23 am

even if they have a medallion toilet fee waiver with complementary toilet paper if u spend 25k on ur DL credit card?
I hope I didn't just give them any ideas...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
So well said + + +

I think you are missing the point. Whether you are a FF or an occasional traveler, you fly Spirit knowing what to expect (and mostly what not to expect). They are not trying to be like the legacies so trying to compare
them with a legacy airline is not a fair comparision. You go in with the
attitude of it is what it is, no more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.