Wiki Posts
Search

Different rate/total from reservation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors
Different rate/total from reservation

I reserved a car in SLC and my total for 5 days on my confirmation is 208.00. I returned the car within my rental timeframe and budget printed out my receipt for the total of 332.00.

I didnt have time to figure it out with the lot attendant since I had to catch my plane.

For those who done this before, what is the best way to deal with this? Dispute with credit card?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:12 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Did the confirmation not include taxes/fees? Did the rental receipt indicate insurance/other options?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Did the confirmation not include taxes/fees? Did the rental receipt indicate insurance/other options?

forgot to mention it.

yes all taxes included on confirmation, same class car and declined all extras just like on my reservation. The only thing different was that on the reservation it said Grand Cherokee or similar 4x4 and I got a caddy srx.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by tantuti
forgot to mention it.

yes all taxes included on confirmation, same class car and declined all extras just like on my reservation. The only thing different was that on the reservation it said Grand Cherokee or similar 4x4 and I got a caddy srx.
On your receipt (or your Avis.com receipt) does it say "Rental Group Charged?". When you got to SLC, was this car preassigned or did you have to go to the counter to get a vehicle assigned? Maybe the agent charged you for the higher class?

In any case, provide all the details to Avis.com customer feedback section (or call them). If they don't get it fixed within a few days, then go to your credit card and dispute.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Got a call from them and got a detailed charges

time and miles 198.99
costco -67.86
8.49 fuel 96.55
.70/day 3.50
5$/day 25.00
10% AP fee 24.02
3.5% regfee 8.47
16.35% STtax 43.19

contract total 332.36

The agent said they had to add 96.00 for the fuel. I said I bought it back full and gave the receipt. The agent said reason it was because the gas station was 5 miles from the airport and they require the gas station to be within 3 miles from the airport. That is a BS charge, I never had to deal with that before
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Budget SLC is a franchise run by the group that also runs Budget locations in MCI, ATL, Birmingham...

What exactly does the rental agreement say about refueling locations? Does it actually state 3 miles? I've seen 5-10 miles, never 3 miles. I am not sure there IS a gas station within 3 miles of SLC. Even still, they should not have charged you for a full tank in any case. Perhaps one gallon or something.

Every rental I have made with this particular Budget licensee in the above 3 locations, I never receive my frequent travel points for whatever partner I include on the reservation. Yet, they always manage to add the "fee" for it to my contract.

This licensee is on its own system, it is not on the corporate Avis/Budget system. They basically connect to Avis/Budget's corporate system to retrieve your reservation then manually enter all of your reservation data into their system.

Their contracts read quite a bit differently from a corporate location. Some interesting reading. Not all bad, by any means... just, different.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:37 pm

I agree, check the terms & conditions to see if it says anything about the 3-mile rule. In any case, I'd be disputing the fuel with the credit card company if you have a receipt for the fuel. It's also worth it to get a pic of the fuel gauge & odometer in the same shot upon return. I've needed this a few times when Avis tried to hit me for fuel that wasn't necessary.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:53 am

If you have a Costco (or similar) membership, you might want to make the reservation through them. Budget, for one, has a desk dedicated dealing with Costco reservations.
Costco is a significant revenue source to Budget. I know this because I recently had to resolve funny business in LAS. The local franchisee was worthless. One call to the CSR handling Costco on the 800 line resolved everything. It was not a issueof resolving the dispute in my favor..it was just a matter of honoring the price on the printed Costco reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.