Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

One In Three Ryanair Passengers Vote for ‘Fat Tax’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:27 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC

for the whole article

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline, today (22 Apr) announced that it will now consider how to charge a ‘fat tax’ after more than 30,000 passengers voted in favour of charging excess weight fees for very large passengers in an online vote over the past two weeks.
Ryanair is considering charging people who are overweight. they are willing to charge a certain price per kilo over (100kg for woman and 130kg for men). Also people who `invade’ the space of the passengers sitting beside them have to pay for 2 seats.

What do you think about this?

I'm all for it as I really hate it if you have a fat person in the seat next to you and he/she comes in your seat space. And of course you have to pay for overweight luggage so why not for overweight fat?

(Hilarious video from Ricky Gervais on fat people on air planes)

Last edited by thomas199023; Apr 22, 2009 at 5:49 am
Old Apr 22, 2009, 6:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, PC PLT, BAEC, QFF
I agree this 'fat tax' would work, as long as it actually means lower airfares for everyone else. And in my opinion they should apply for budget airlines only... full service airlines should maintain their everything inclusive model (will AA ever stop charging liqor in coach like most other non US-based airlines? unlikely... sigh)
Old Apr 22, 2009, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Of course, it's not one in three. It seems that 'over 30,000' of 'over 100,000' people took part in an unscientific self-selected online poll.

I wonder what 'over 30,000' is as a proportion of LiarAir passengers.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:17 am

And just how do they intend to measure a person's weight publicly without breaching the individual's human rights. Another silly publicity stunt from Michael O'Sneery.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:59 am

Programs: Delta Diamond. SPG Plat. Hyatt Diamond. Segafredo coffee stamp card, inContinental
Thumbs up

simple add it into the T&C for the flights.
and pay per Pound of blubber. It not free lifting all that lard.
If the airlines let people bring huge heavy suitcases and place them in the hold; all well and good,
but I wouldn't feel as sanguine if their fat suitcase were propped against me all the flight .
buy 2 seats plumpers
Old May 5, 2009, 8:06 am
Suspended

Human rights also cover the poor sod who has a big fat lardy next to them usually taking up their space and with essence of swiss chesse to them usually as well, charge them I say
Old May 7, 2009, 12:33 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Imstead of a fat tax, why not charge everyone by the lbs like FedEx or UPS. Passangers could but a preset amount of lbs in advance at one rate. If the pax went over when they step on a scale before boarding they would pay more.
Old May 7, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
How about a little less venom against people who are a larger size. I make a conscious effort to make sure I do not encroach on the space of my seat mates. More than can plenty of thinner folk who are arm rest hogs and or feel the need to splay their legs so wide apart they are practically doing the splits.
Old May 20, 2009, 6:38 am
Suspended

How about a volumetric sizing charge, if they cant pass through the Ryanair A door then they have to buy an extra seat and then they get to go through Ryanair door B and if this fails they have to buy a row. Easy and problem solved for everyone.
Old May 20, 2009, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
This is old 'news', insofar as it was ever news. Just FR spin to garner more headlines.

It's dead in the water.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....=gen-en-080509
Old May 23, 2009, 5:18 am

so, effectively this guy wants to bully customers.

never will get a cent of mine then.

being 200cm tall, it's not as if it's my fault that i'm not the size of my indonesian wife at 156cm.

I've never met anyone my height that is under 90kg's and I've met a fair few up around 140kg that are pure muscle.

Try shoehorning yourself into the seats on some of these planes.

To Ryanair 'leaders', If you're talking about making people pay per volume, make sure you get a discount for the empty space in your heads where your brains should be
Old May 23, 2009, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how they would charge someone who was intersexed? Maybe they get 115kg. Submitting a genotype that proved the condition would be required to get the extra allotment.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thomas199023
for the whole article

Ryanair is considering charging people who are overweight. they are willing to charge a certain price per kilo over (100kg for woman and 130kg for men). Also people who `invade’ the space of the passengers sitting beside them have to pay for 2 seats.

I'm all for it as I really hate it if you have a fat person in the seat next to you and he/she comes in your seat space. And of course you have to pay for overweight luggage so why not for overweight fat?

(Hilarious video from Ricky Gervais on fat people on air planes)
I was going to say that I am OK with airlines charging extra for "fat" people even though I have gained a lot of weight very rapidly. But when I see the weight limits' I am well below the weight limits. but am still fat, as I am short, not dwarf, but short. Hhw will airline justify someone weighing 135 Kg, who is 6'2" and not some one who weighs 125 Kg and weighs 5'2"? The latter would appear fatter than the former and would be a bigger risk "medically". I am neither 6'2" or 5'2", I am in the middle and still support charging people beyond a certain weight. If the airlines are going to charge for checking in bags, they should give discounts to people whi are not checking in any bags on itineraries that include a free baggage allowance. When we travel as a family, we take only about 25% of our baggage allowance. (3 suitcases and 3 cary ons for 4 people travelling in business class.)
Old May 24, 2009, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stockycub1973
How about a little less venom against people who are a larger size. I make a conscious effort to make sure I do not encroach on the space of my seat mates. More than can plenty of thinner folk who are arm rest hogs and or feel the need to splay their legs so wide apart they are practically doing the splits.
Agreed, encroaching on other people's space is not a unique characteristic of overweight people. And not all over weight people encroach on their neighbours' space.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by thomas199023

I'm all for it as I really hate it if you have a fat person in the seat next to you and he/she comes in your seat space.
That really would require some immediate action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.