Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair cancel route - refund of car hire booked through them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club

I booked my wife a weekend flight from Liverpool to Almeria to visit her friend. During the booking process on Ryanair.com I chose the option to add a hire car. When I got to the payment page the flight and car hire was added together and processed as one transaction. However it appeared on my credit card statement as two transactions.. One for Ryanair and the other or Hertz.

Today, Ryanair have emailed us to tell us that the above flights (route) has been cancelled and we can apply for a refund. But the refund only appears to be the flight cost. Hertz will only agree to refund us the amount less a £30 fee.

We have written to Ryanair but no response yet (it was only this morning to be fair).

Any idea how this is likely to play out?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup

Cost of your time + frustration. I do not envy you at all. At least you will have learned a lesson.

OTH - Ryanair may come good.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:23 am

... Today, Ryanair have emailed us to tell us that the above flights (route) has been cancelled and we can apply for a refund. But the refund only appears to be the flight cost. Hertz will only agree to refund us the amount less a £30 fee.

There are two ways this can go. Either they'll refund you the £30, or they'll refund it after you've wasted countless hours arguing with them.

I would wait for their response, then if they decline the credit, I'd dispute the entire charge with my credit card. Hertz will not be able to refute the dispute as a) the service has not been delivered, and b) you have no contract with them.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
I'm pretty sure that when you book the car hire you do have a contract with Hertz also, separate from the flight booking with FR. If the rental agree booking had some kind of cancellation penalty specified then a dispute would be rather pointless and unlike to succeed.

Without knowing the fine print of the rental agreement it's hard to comment but I think it's unlikely Ryanair will cover the charge in my opinion.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
I booked my wife a weekend flight from Liverpool to Almeria to visit her friend. During the booking process on Ryanair.com I chose the option to add a hire car. When I got to the payment page the flight and car hire was added together and processed as one transaction. However it appeared on my credit card statement as two transactions.. One for Ryanair and the other or Hertz.

Today, Ryanair have emailed us to tell us that the above flights (route) has been cancelled and we can apply for a refund. But the refund only appears to be the flight cost. Hertz will only agree to refund us the amount less a £30 fee.

We have written to Ryanair but no response yet (it was only this morning to be fair).

Yikes. See what Ryanair has to say first. Afterall, they presented you with the tax invoice (payment screen) and both items were "bundled" on the same screen.

I'd also be willing to bet, in this case, Ryanair received commission or a fee in return for your auto hire, in this city Ryanair no longer operates to.

Do you have a print out of the one screen showing the flights and rental car with total price by chance?

Hopefully you'll get a full refund on the auto, as it was sold bundled and I can guarantee you Hertz paid Ryanair for either a placement fee to encourage bookings on their site, or Ryanair is getting a fee per prepaid auto hired.

Hopefully you'll get a response from Ryanair taking responsibility, as they bundled the auto-hire in on their website and then later dropped the route.

Good luck!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it was shown as a total price for flight + car hire, then this would probably have to be regarded as a package holiday, which would give you more rights.

I believe, however, that this not how the Ryanair site works and it is reasonably clear, imo, that these are quite separate transactions with different suppliers: clicking on the FR link transfers you to the Hertz website, IIRC.

You may want to do a net search on DIY holiday packaging. That should point you towards the issues of determining when separate components can be regarded as part of a package or not for the purposes of the Package Holidays regulations (and EU Directive).

You do not have travel insurance that could cover the Hertz fee by any chance, would you?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by NickB
If it was shown as a total price for flight + car hire, then this would probably have to be regarded as a package holiday, which would give you more rights.

I believe, however, that this not how the Ryanair site works and it is reasonably clear, imo, that these are quite separate transactions with different suppliers: clicking on the FR link transfers you to the Hertz website, IIRC.

You may want to do a net search on DIY holiday packaging. That should point you towards the issues of determining when separate components can be regarded as part of a package or not for the purposes of the Package Holidays regulations (and EU Directive).

You do not have travel insurance that could cover the Hertz fee by any chance, would you?
Well we have received a refund email from Ryanair for the Flight only cost. Ryanair have not yet responded to our email about the bundled car hire.

Yes we have Amex Plat insurance, but I'm not sure how far I want to get involved in a dispute over £30.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
OP does have a separate contract with Hertz, and this is stated on Ryanair's webpage when the booking is made:

Car rental payments are made directly to Hertz (under separate contract). Any booking modifications must be made with Hertz.

If you click on the T&C, it states:

CANCELLATIONS

1. Hertz will allow customers to cancel a prepaid reservation:
a. online by the 'Modify/Cancel' reservation page
b. by calling the Internet Helpdesk

2. A full refund of the prepaid reservation will be made:

a. If the cancellation is made within 7 days of the original booking time
b. Less an administrative fee of £UK30 if the cancellation is made after 7 days of the original booking time

3. Refunds will be made to the credit card that the original booking was made on.

Apparently, the request was made over seven days from the date of booking. However, since you don't need the car because Ryanair cancelled the flight, I really don't know what will happen.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:43 am

OP. Any update on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.