Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone tried HongKong Express (UO)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb

Flying UO first time curious if anyone has experience.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:04 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

FT user Carfield might be able to help out.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: asia miles
Flew NGO-HKG last december. Nothing much to say. It is a decent LCC. Flight was on time. Legroom is decent. Flight attendants are rather nice. Just found the F&B a bit on the expensive side. I would fly them again if I have too.

In HKG they normally use remote stands, so you need to take the bus.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Slightly above most average LCCs in that region of Asia, in terms of airport check-in and in flight service.

My beef with them is their on-time performance (for route that I did not have much choices) which is not great.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb

I must report that it was better than other LCC's I flown. Flight crew was attentive with a smile. My beef was with the check-in staff at RMQ. Just a minimum wager flexing his power! But we do need some humour to relax don't we? Made me take out 5kg of things out of carry on bag and asked me to hand carry! Couldn't understand the logic. Once out of sight past security my 5kg were back in the carry on.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
One way HKG-KIX last week. I ended up with UO because of Chinese New Year award tickets were not to be had and revenue tickets on ANA, JL, or CX were all in the $700-2000 range. Was able to get one ways for a little under $300.

Checked in at Kowloon Airport Express station, no problems or wait whatsoever (I had prepaid a 25 kg allowance). As it happened it didn't look like the staff were weighing carryons at all- I saw several roll aboards that would have been unlikely to make the 7 kg limit, though of course I can't be sure. Plane was on time, which was my big concern. Pre-ordered meals were ok, nothing to write home about, not horrifying.

Two concerns:
Seat pitch was ok, I want to say 32" or so. Comfort was ok except the seat material allowed the big guy's knee behind me to poke directly into my back. Pressing my thumb on his kneecap through the seat material alerted him to that fact.

At HKG we used buses to enplane, and annoyingly they loaded up one bus but then let us stand there getting hotter and hotter for maybe 7 min before heading out to the plane. That was probably the worst part.

I would consider using again if necessary.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Any recent experiences???

Wondering if anyone has flown Hong Kong Express recently? Looking for REP-HKG one way. Only other direct is DragonAir for $1K+ USD. (Could book that for 7500 Avios, but no availability on the day I need to fly).

Flex Option with the Sweet Seat is only $139, compared with $200-300 for one stop choices (with 2+ hour layovers) on a variety of other SE Asia airlines.

HK Express seems like the obvious choice here... just wanted to see if there were any recent trips/updates. Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by gobears293
Wondering if anyone has flown Hong Kong Express recently? Looking for REP-HKG one way. Only other direct is DragonAir for $1K+ USD. (Could book that for 7500 Avios, but no availability on the day I need to fly).

Flex Option with the Sweet Seat is only $139, compared with $200-300 for one stop choices (with 2+ hour layovers) on a variety of other SE Asia airlines.

HK Express seems like the obvious choice here... just wanted to see if there were any recent trips/updates. Thanks!
I don't see anyone on FT doing a TR for hk express (that's their new name, btw). Only reason I don't usually choose them is because of their flight schedules (3am ex-HKT, 6am ex-REP, etc. - guess that's how they stay cheap), but if this works for you I wouldn't think twice about it. Don't wait too long though, their flights do sell out.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:17 pm

Okay....lah

They got me from A to B at a low price within a reasonable time frame.

As posted, you do need to take a bus, and climb up, so if you have a particularly heavy carry on that can be a hassle. I brought my own water and snacks and the flight attendants didn't have a problem with that, unlike Air Asia, where they can snarl if you break their 'no outside food or drink' rule.

The flight was maybe 20 minute late departing there and back, but you sort of figure that in.

All in all, I would fly them again.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:26 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've flown UO a handful of times, generally when Avios redemptions for KA were unavailable, on routes like DAD and CNX. I am super tall, so pay for the bulkhead or Exit row ... on UO, the legroom is noticeable worse than Airasia, Jetstar, or Tigerair. Probably the worst Asian LCC in that regard. Food and baggage is comparatively pricey. Flights boarded from remote stands, but were on time.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gpia
I don't see anyone on FT doing a TR for hk express (that's their new name, btw). Only reason I don't usually choose them is because of their flight schedules (3am ex-HKT, 6am ex-REP, etc. - guess that's how they stay cheap), but if this works for you I wouldn't think twice about it. Don't wait too long though, their flights do sell out.
That timing is what I was afraid of. Luckily, the schedule of the flight I need is really ideal. Leaves REP at 10:15am.

Originally Posted by Dimsum Mum
They got me from A to B at a low price within a reasonable time frame.

As posted, you do need to take a bus, and climb up, so if you have a particularly heavy carry on that can be a hassle. I brought my own water and snacks and the flight attendants didn't have a problem with that, unlike Air Asia, where they can snarl if you break their 'no outside food or drink' rule.

The flight was maybe 20 minute late departing there and back, but you sort of figure that in.

All in all, I would fly them again.
Originally Posted by jpdx
I've flown UO a handful of times, generally when Avios redemptions for KA were unavailable, on routes like DAD and CNX. I am super tall, so pay for the bulkhead or Exit row ... on UO, the legroom is noticeable worse than Airasia, Jetstar, or Tigerair. Probably the worst Asian LCC in that regard. Food and baggage is comparatively pricey. Flights boarded from remote stands, but were on time.
Thank you both for the feedback. I think I'll fill up with breakfast at the hotel and a snack at the Priority Pass lounge in REP before boarding. Thankfully too I'll be travelling light... won't have much to haul up with me. But being 6' tall, I'll definitely purchase the extra leg room seat.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:21 pm

UO is fine, bring you for A to B. Beside that, all extra services are rather expensive. If the price and timing suit you, they are just fine
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
separate tickets - checked bags to final dest.?

Any chance that UO will check bags through to final destination when on separate tickets (and on to different carrier)? I know my thinking is a bit optimistic but I'm looking at the reasonably priced 3AM flight ex. HKT which arrives HKG 8:15AM (and often arrives early according to flight stats) to connect to SK964 to ARN at 9:20AM. I'm not concerned about making the connection but I will not be able to do hand luggage only (too much stuff).
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Any chance that UO will check bags through to final destination when on separate tickets (and on to different carrier)? I know my thinking is a bit optimistic but I'm looking at the reasonably priced 3AM flight ex. HKT which arrives HKG 8:15AM (and often arrives early according to flight stats) to connect to SK964 to ARN at 9:20AM. I'm not concerned about making the connection but I will not be able to do hand luggage only (too much stuff).
UO being a LCC, I don't think there is a change of checkin your back all the way. UO764 ETA is 7:35, so if no major delay, you have time to clear immigration, get your bag and checkin again for yout SK flight
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree that if the HKG arrival time was 7:35AM I would have taken the chance, but for my date (Sunday) arrival time is 8:15AM (I wonder why the flight time is 40 min longer on Saturday and Sundays - depature time is the same, 3AM all days a week).

Anyway, I will be able to do OLCI for my SK flight but the deadline for baggage drop is 60 min before I believe, i.e. 8:20AM, so it is IMO not possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.