Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strangest inflight food offerings on BA!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:23 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!
Strangest inflight food offerings on BA!

Just completed another couple of sectors on BA and I was quite stunned at the "choice" of food items that seem to grace the F menu these days.

One of the mains being offered was: Banana Kofta with sesame & cashew rice. And seeing a neighbour's plate it looked much worse than it sounded (if that is possible!!)

The same flight had a breakfast main option of "Brocolli and Brie slice". And this was the only main option!! No egg option, no bacon buttie nothing. And these are ex LHR flights I'm talking about.

Anyone else come across similar food options like these!? It is hard enough eating brocolli at the best of times, let alone for breakfast!

On the other hand, the steak and matchstick chips main course that I had on a transatlantic flight last week was just about the best inflight steak that I've had on any carrier (barring only the Wagyu on NH F.) Wonderfully cooked medium rare, and really thin crisp chips. ^

Just how BA can manage to vary the catering from the sublime to the ridiculous is something I'll never really fathom!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
KLM ES breakfasts are just plain weird these days, but very tasty...

On BA, I liked their 'savoury danish pastry' which came out as the second meal on the PHX flight.. and which turned out to be a sausage roll
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AJLondon
It is hard enough eating brocolli at the best of times, let alone for breakfast!
I'll happily eat broccoli any time of the day, any day of the week!

OK, OK, I know I'm weird.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Globaliser

Me too! I love the stuff! On our crew breakfasts we get coming out of HEL, there is Broccoli... no one else will touch it with a barge pole at 0700 London time... but I am rite in there!

In terms of pax food, there is a funky little salad doing the rounds in Club Europe, Herb Chicken with Grapefruit! Interesting combination...
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:34 pm

I'm sure I recall an artichoke pizza doing the rounds in F a few years ago.

Can't say I ever tried it.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:57 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
I was recently served the most random combination of food in CE to Gatwick: quasi-South Asian (cold roast chicken breast with some sort of odd curry powder-ish cumin spicing), sort-of Provençale (cold roast Mediterranean veg -- peppers, courgettes, onion, etc.), kind of Greek (cherry tomatoes and feta cheese) and Fawlty Towers (a Waldorf Salad).

Odd thing is, for that it was, it hit the spot.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:14 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
I was not impressed by the chicken curry quiche the other week.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:01 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingJ

If you have ever had a REAL Quattro Stagioni pizza then you will have had a taste if this as one of the toppings is artichoke...
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:14 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Globaliser

So I'm assuming calling you Broccoli Lover wouldn't be considered some sort of perverted insult then!!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by FlyingJ

I'm pretty sure I have had artichokes on a pizza - and anyway it sounds OK. But pizza is not food that I particularly associate with a 'full meal' on F (although I can see it as a snack).
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
That broccoli in cheese reminds me of cheesy peas in The Fast Show.

Squeezy cheesy peas

I really think that BA should try to keep it simple. Casseroles, curries, pies and and other things that are tasty but do not spoil too much at altitude.

Knowing that BA are serving up banana kebab and cheesy peas in F puts me off buying tickets in that cabin and instead going for CW where I usually get something simple but decent.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:33 pm

Ok, flying in CW or First, you'd expect something lovely to eat. But is it beyond all reasonable expectations to be offered something normal to eat?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Knowing that BA are serving up banana kebab and cheesy peas in F puts me off buying tickets in that cabin and instead going for CW where I usually get something simple but decent.
That has certainly put me off F. I am quite adventurous with food (I have eaten rather bizarre food in my life), but banana kebab and cheesy peas do not have any appeal to me whatsoever. What if that's the only thing left on the menu?!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vla
I was recently served the most random combination of food in CE to Gatwick: quasi-South Asian (cold roast chicken breast with some sort of odd curry powder-ish cumin spicing), sort-of Provençale (cold roast Mediterranean veg -- peppers, courgettes, onion, etc.), kind of Greek (cherry tomatoes and feta cheese) and Fawlty Towers (a Waldorf Salad).

Odd thing is, for that it was, it hit the spot.
Could it have been (or have been meant to be ) more Northern African than South Asian (in keeping with the overall Mediterranean theme... well, Waldorf S excepted)?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:43 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
That broccoli in cheese reminds me of cheesy peas in The Fast Show.

Squeezy cheesy peas
Didnt they take it one step further as well, and have Squeezy Cheesy Peas in Strawberry flavour?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.