Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I use miles to get an around-the-world ticket on BA using miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Hello all:
I am flying LAX > Copenhagen and then from Copenhagen > Bangalore and then Chennai > LAX and am wondering if I can get a Business Class BA Around the World ticket using miles. Is that possible and if so, how do I do it? Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:39 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Do you literally want to circumnavigate the world or are you okay with coming back through London?

If you really want to go east and keep going east until you're back where you started, you'll need to use a BA partner from MAA to LAX (e.g. CX through HKG). If you book LAX-LHR-CPH-LHR-BLR/-MAA-HKG-LAX all on one ticket, it'll take a lot of miles: see http://www.britishairways.com/travel...o/public/en_gb for the miles required - you'd need to book that through your local service centre.

To save miles, you may probably want to break it up into parts, such as:
LAX-LHR-CPH
CPH-LHR-BLR
MAA-HKG-LAX

You'd also be able to book those parts online after logging into your Executive Club account.

If a true round the world isn't necessary, you may want to come back through LON, again, breaking it up into parts:
LAX-LHR-CPH
CPH-LHR-BLR
MAA-LHR-LAX

or

LAX-LHR-BLR
LHR-CPH-LHR
MAA-LHR-LAX

Again, you can book these online at ba.com

The Ultimate BA Guide sticky has some more information in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/8172633-post14.html

Last edited by JAXBA; Jul 11, 2009 at 11:42 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

I don't care about the Around the World part, just wondered if it would be easier to get a Business Class ticket using it.

Forgive me for being such a newbie, but how does breaking the trip up into parts save miles? Oh, but, if the answer to that question is in the Sticky Guide, never mind! I'll head on over there right now.

Thank you!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
In a related question: can you buy xONEx (Oneworld Explorer) tickets with BA miles?
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by AnnaMcD
...how does breaking the trip up into parts save miles?
Breaking it up turns it into separate awards based on the zone you start and finish in, which'll use fewer miles than an award based on the total flown mileage for your desired itinerary

Originally Posted by henkybaby
In a related question: can you buy xONEx (Oneworld Explorer) tickets with BA miles?
Nope. You can't buy published fares with miles, only awards that have their own rules and conditions.

You can still arrange a RTW itinerary on a single booking, but it'll take more miles - internally it's called a multilateral or non-standard. It takes more miles because there aren't as many rules on routing and can include sidetrips etc. But, since changing an award after departure is restricted, it isn't necessarily the best value - breaking it up saves miles and allows you to change the awards that you haven't started travel on yet.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much. This pros on this site are AMAZING!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
I don't care about the Around the World part, just wondered if it would be easier to get a Business Class ticket using it.

Forgive me for being such a newbie, but how does breaking the trip up into parts save miles? Oh, but, if the answer to that question is in the Sticky Guide, never mind! I'll head on over there right now.

Thank you!
If you end up purchasing this itinerary, then buying a DONEx should be cheaper than buying J class tickets. When Mrs Globalste and I were looking at it, we found that in general, once you made more than 2 longhaul stops it was usually cheaper to buy a DONEx.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Oh heavens, I rarely feel as undereducated as I do on flyertalk! Please excuse the newbie question but I have no idea what a DONEx ticket is!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Oh heavens, I rarely feel as undereducated as I do on flyertalk! Please excuse the newbie question but I have no idea what a DONEx ticket is!
DONEx = D class (business class) Oneworld Explorer ticket for x number of continents(the number of continents can be from 3 - 6 depending upon origin). There are also AONEx (first class) and LONEx(economy class) Oneworld explorer round the world tickets.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...cket-faqs.html
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Hello all:
I am flying LAX > Copenhagen and then from Copenhagen > Bangalore and then Chennai > LAX and am wondering if I can get a Business Class BA Around the World ticket using miles. Is that possible and if so, how do I do it? Thanks!
Sorry, but I don't see where it says that you are a BAEC person. Are your miles in BAEC? The answers may be very different otherwise.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Sorry, but I don't see where it says that you are a BAEC person. Are your miles in BAEC? The answers may be very different otherwise.
Not really as you cant buy a RTW ticket on miles...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I have Starwood miles and would transfer them in if a good itinerary could be found! I know that at least ONE of the alliances sells RTW tix via miles but I cannot remember which one. I am trying to get up to speed on all of this very quickly and will be eternally grateful for all the help I have received on FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.