Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you refuse an upgrade to F?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Would you refuse an upgrade to F?

The magical beep from the boarding card machine in T5 on my way to BOM meant one thing...upgraded to F!

This was my first time in F - could never afford or justify the cost after being more than happy with previous trips in CW. For this flight I had already grabbed 64K (my favourite on the upper deck) and was happy enough with that.

Of course I was delighted with the bump. The service, food and wine were fantastic - how they cook a lamb shank to perfection half way into space I will never know. BUT, I found the seat not as comfortable as NGCW and also preferred the position of IFE on the upper deck.

So canvassing opinion from you lot...my thoughts:

Day flight - Upgrade accepted to F, better food, wine etc.
Night flight - Upgrade refused, better seat to sleep in CW compared with current F offering.

All objective of course.

Also begs the question, can you refuse an upgrade and what would happen if you did??!!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I wouldn't refuse an op-up to F but I don't MFU to F as it is not worth it.
Also I do not buy F tickets on BA anymore. Even if they are heavily discounted the surcharge to CW is not worth it IMHO.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JPS76
The magical beep from the boarding card machine in T5 on my way to BOM meant one thing...upgraded to F!

This was my first time in F - could never afford or justify the cost after being more than happy with previous trips in CW. For this flight I had already grabbed 64K (my favourite on the upper deck) and was happy enough with that.

Of course I was delighted with the bump. The service, food and wine were fantastic - how they cook a lamb shank to perfection half way into space I will never know. BUT, I found the seat not as comfortable as NGCW and also preferred the position of IFE on the upper deck.

So canvassing opinion from you lot...my thoughts:

Day flight - Upgrade accepted to F, better food, wine etc.
Night flight - Upgrade refused, better seat to sleep in CW compared with current F offering.

All objective of course.

Also begs the question, can you refuse an upgrade and what would happen if you did??!!
Food = perfection? How much of the wine did you drink

If I had a good upper deck J seat I wouldn't switch to F for anything but a window seat in rows 1-4. If actually travelling with a companion and we both had decent J seats I probably wouldn't bother with the upgrade. I just don't see the point upgrading to BA F in terms of service on the ground or in the air.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Been discussed before and there was a thread not so very long ago IIRC where someone posted they had refused an upgrade to F from JFK because they were going to be allocated a middle seat in F and so preferred to keep their UD window seat.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Depends what the FA looks like
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Railroad flyer
Depends what the FA looks like
Didnt get a chance to find out before hand - but always very important...well noted!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
I turned down an upgrade to 4E a few months back. I had 64K on a Sleeper Service flight and wanted sleep. The seat wasn't that good and I was concerned about being disturbed by dinner service.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Agree with most of the sentiments - last time this happened to me, I figured 1K for 62K was a fair swap, esp. seeing as it was OCW at that stage (OK, so it was a while back ) Had it been 4E, I might have reconsidered.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BUT, I found the seat not as comfortable as NGCW and also preferred the position of IFE on the upper deck.
I found the F seat far more comfortable than the CW seat by far.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:12 am

For me i can't stand not having a window seat. I haven't travelled in NGCW but i don't like the fact that the window seat faces backwards....apart from 767 as far as i'm aware.

I think F is excellent and contrary to many, i feel there is a huge difference (from what i hear and see) from club. The one thing that they really MUST work on is the food....Everything else in my opinion is excellent......especially 2A.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I would never turn down an upgrade to any F seat but then again I don't fly CW very often to get the opportunity
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by BA1A
I don't fly CW very often to get the opportunity
Enjoy 64K later in the month...
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BA1A
then again I don't fly CW very often to get the opportunity
Really? I would never have known that.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Abstract1
but i don't like the fact that the window seat faces backwards....apart from 767 as far as i'm aware.
I actually love to be seated facing backwards - it feels more 'natural'
Old Mar 13, 2009, 8:37 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Abstract1
For me i can't stand not having a window seat. I haven't travelled in NGCW but i don't like the fact that the window seat faces backwards....apart from 767 as far as i'm aware.
On one side only.

Originally Posted by jghill
I actually love to be seated facing backwards - it feels more 'natural'
Me too - plus with the nose up attitude your head stays above your feet for sleeping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.