Search

OT: Cost of Hotel Internet Access

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Angry OT: Cost of Hotel Internet Access

I am currently down-route, and it has cost me €19.90 for internet access for 24 hours...

Does anyone think that this is just ridiculous?

That is more than 2 months home subscription to the internet, and to be frankly honest, my home internet is quicker!

I am not quite spitting feathers... but getting ready to pluck the chicken to enable the spitting of said feathers...
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Yes, sometimes it's basically robbery! I think my worst so far was the HI in Turin which wanted 20+ EUR for something like 3hrs access (if that). Shocking.

Luckily for work trips I claim it back - I also have a work-funded BT Openzone acccount to roam with for quick e-mail bursts which can be more economical. On holidays I still nearly always pay for browsing and, sadly, doing a few inevitable bursts of work/e-mail, etc...but I can't be arsed to claim that back individually/separately. That's when I moan about it more, of course
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:53 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm fairly sure a decent mobile phone with reasonable data rates will be an awful lot cheaper. I assume you're probably just looking at Europe? I always thought o2 had good rates across the continent.

You can also get phones that hook up to your laptop to connect to the net. What phone do you have?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Never paid for it in a hotel and won't in the future either.

One good thing about the Radissons in Europe is it's free.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

In this day and age, wifi connection really should be included in the nightly rate, much like the way Sky News, Bloomberg and Al Jazeera channels are offered on the telly.

I was charged EUR 22 for a 24 hour stint on Swisscom at the Diagonal Mar, BCN over the weekend. It's about the norm for Hilton's Euro properties and still very much cheaper than international data roaming rates which can be astronomical. US properties are leading the march towards all inclusive wifi, so perhaps there is hope on the horizon elsewhere.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just think it is disgusting...

We are very lucky that some of the hotels that we stay in offer us even an hour free, in the business centre. And even other location of the same chain that I am staying in now give us some form of free internet access.

But oh no... not this one...

And seeing as I have got a bee in my bonnet about this one... I just looked at the price of the Mini Bar... ...I am even more disgusted!

Bottle of Coke: €6.50
Small Pringles: €7.50
Miniature Whisky: €15.00

Are these people having a giraffe?
*shakes head in disbelief...*
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I am currently down-route, and it has cost me €19.90 for internet access for 24 hours...

Does anyone think that this is just ridiculous?

That is more than 2 months home subscription to the internet, and to be frankly honest, my home internet is quicker!

I am not quite spitting feathers... but getting ready to pluck the chicken to enable the spitting of said feathers...
have you thought about getting hold of someone's dongle when you go away?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
On the plus side, more hotels in recent years seem to be reaching a decision to offer Internet access as a no-charge amenity, in order to make booking their rooms a more attractive proposition.

I must say that it's always high on my wish-list when I'm looking to book a hotel.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Motors
You can also get phones that hook up to your laptop to connect to the net. What phone do you have?
A foldable brick! ^

But am with o2, just do not want to change my tariff as got an amazing deal a few years ago and will never come off it...!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:00 pm

I just think it is disgusting...

And seeing as I have got a bee in my bonnet about this one... I just looked at the price of the Mini Bar... ...I am even more disgusted!

Bottle of Coke: €6.50
Small Pringles: €7.50
Miniature Whisky: €15.00

Are these people having a giraffe?
*shakes head in disbelief...*
the internet access suddenly seems a bargain in comparison!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hammythehammer
How rude!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Oh I'm sure that's happened before now
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

the internet access suddenly seems a bargain in comparison!
Indeed... thankfully I bought what liquid refreshments I may have required from the bars on the aircraft...

I am very much in a "Non getting ripped off" sort of mood at the moment and can not believe that these people have the front to charge these prices... I would rather put my shoes on and walk to the corner shop than pay them another single penny...
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Oh I'm sure that's happened before now
Again... How rude!

Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:06 pm

But am with o2, just do not want to change my tariff as got an amazing deal a few years ago and will never come off it...!
With o2 it's £50 a month for 50mb usage, which is steep. But if you're doing light things like visiting wap pages and checking email, you should be ok. On my iPhone I only use about 100mb a month, even though I'm never off it.

If you like to do a lot of surfing, check out www.thecloud.net. It's only £10 a month, but you have to make sure wifi spots are near by. Plus you get to spend more time chatting to us delightful people. Now, did you promise a TFTG once?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.