Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Quite Amazed! CE LGW bargains still to be had! [and a bit of advice on GIB too!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quite Amazed! CE LGW bargains still to be had! [and a bit of advice on GIB too!]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Smile Quite Amazed! CE LGW bargains still to be had! [and a bit of advice on GIB too!]

I am quite amazed!

We need to go to a Birthday Party in southern Spain in late February. It has been years since I have been anywhere in the Marbella area - but I see that the LGW-GIB fares are £109 each way in CE. That has to be pretty good value. I grant you that it will be on a clapped out 737 and that we would be in the new 2 X 2 configuration - but even so it seems to be a snip with all those Tier Points so that Him Indoors can remain a Gold.

I presume that the border crossing at La Linea is still open and that we can drive a hire car into Spain?

I suppose that should I proceed I can start loads of threads about what catering and which Band it is (a 3B I assume). Whilst about it have they re-opened the North Terminal Terraces or are they still refurbishing?

Are the shops good value or are they a con for anything other than gin and cigarettes?

HugsXX
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
There is a thread on GIB knocking around from about 2-3 months ago, ill try and dig it out for you. It should answer all your questions

GIB's nice for a few days tho!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:23 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I am quite amazed!

We need to go to a Birthday Party in southern Spain in late February. It has been years since I have been anywhere in the Marbella area - but I see that the LGW-GIB fares are £109 each way in CE.
Yep, if you are able to book early enough!

The prices never really went sub 300 in the GB Airways days - however following BA introducing the replacement services you can get it down to that area.

Sadly the old GB Airways UK-add-on trick [where a exGIB-LGW-JER return was the same price as just GIB-LGW] no longer works. Still a good deal though, but it did make 350 GBP eq to 160TP before which was quite good.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:35 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...where-eat.html

gin is about £4 a litre in some places, dont know about the cigarettes

http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:38 am

I presume that the border crossing at La Linea is still open and that we can drive a hire car into Spain?
Yes of course it is - it was an entry condition for Spain to be allowed to join the EU!

Regarding Hire Cars, many hire companies will actually supply them for collection on the spanish side of the border for convenience.

Since the thread given above, you now get given the lounge access code at checkin/bag drop on custom printed card and shouldn't need to ask for it (and remember it).

Are the shops good value or are they a con for anything other than gin and cigarettes?
Erm, they are certainly still cheap for alcohol and tobacco do to far lower duties being charged on them in Gibraltar. Others:
Clothes - costs are comparable UK to Gib IMO, with exceptions in both directions.
Electricals - there are still bargains to be had, but the whole world of shopping has changed in recent years. Generally, it is the huge bulk buying multinationals who win these days. As such, with reduced buying size it is harder for smaller shops. This is particularly the case with items such as computers - where they have short shelf life before they are out of date.
Tech items such as binoculars etc, which are slower to go out of date remain competative, etc.
Jewlery - don't know, not my area.
Perfume - beats UK highstreet, but vs UK airport??? bulk buying power brings it close I believe - but again exceptions both ways.
Cosmetics - don't know, not my area.

Generally remeber that since the UK VAT cut, the price difference might have very fractionally narrowed.
BUT with the huge rise in the cost of the Euro, prices in GBP are now more competative so there has been a rise in Spanish shoppers in Gibraltar. And drop in Gibraltar shoppers in Spain. [Similar to this situation near the Irish border.]

HugsXX
Kisses!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinkcat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...where-eat.html

gin is about £4 a litre in some places, dont know about the cigarettes

http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
£4 for gin? Gracious! I wonder what they charge for Bombay - thank you pinkcat!.

Do felines accept Muccihoods?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:01 am

Window shopping:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chuckhe...27872/sizes/l/
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
£4 for gin? Gracious! I wonder what they charge for Bombay - thank you pinkcat!.

Do felines accept Muccihoods?
yes, they do

I saw lots of Bombay Sapphire there, I think it was in the £8 range, I wasnt really looking at the alcohol, I did buy a bottle of di Sarono to make trifles with for £9 a litre. some of the shops further towards Casemates square seem to be cheaper, every shop has a window full so you can just look and see which is the cheapest.
We just walked across the border and hired a car in La linea for a couple of days.
Dont forget to ask UK customs to stamp your passport with the "welcome to GIB" stamp, theyre quite amenable
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: BA, LY,TK
When I was there last week there was a sale all down Main Street in the main stores like Marks and Spencer Next etc....
Who knows maybe you'll find something you like
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold

Whilst about it have they re-opened the North Terminal Terraces or are they still refurbishing?
The North Terminal Terraces level 4 has reopened - I was there this weekend. The enhancements on level 4 are the additional of a salad bar, an internet cafe where the children's play area was, and the former smoking room being turned into the new children's play area. I was surprised to see that Chez Gerard at the North Terminal has become a building site.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinkcat
yes, they do

I saw lots of Bombay Sapphire there, I think it was in the £8 range, I wasnt really looking at the alcohol, I did buy a bottle of di Sarono to make trifles with for £9 a litre. some of the shops further towards Casemates square seem to be cheaper, every shop has a window full so you can just look and see which is the cheapest.
We just walked across the border and hired a car in La linea for a couple of days.
Dont forget to ask UK customs to stamp your passport with the "welcome to GIB" stamp, theyre quite amenable
For such wonderful news about the Bombay and for all the exceptional information about shopping Pinkcat and David-A have become Muccis today and can - please - displaty this in their signatures. PLease tell the Mighty Moomba and apologise on my behalf and say that I adore him with qualification and Thank You.

Ask a question here and it comes flooding in.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:36 am

For such wonderful news about the Bombay and for all the exceptional information about shopping Pinkcat and David-A have become Muccis today and can - please - displaty this in their signatures. PLease tell the Mighty Moomba and apologise on my behalf and say that I adore him with qualification and Thank You.

Ask a question here and it comes flooding in.
Delighted to accept the honour!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:43 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by flyingbee
...and the former smoking room being turned into the new children's play area...
I hope they give it a SERIOUSLY good clean up.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:47 am

The internet cafe upstairs isn't open yet, sign on the glass door yesterday simply said "Opening soon". Hopefully at least a couple of additional PCs will be going it - looked like just 2 at present!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by flyingbee
...an internet cafe where the children's play area was...
Does that mean the Combiz area downstairs will disappear at some point? Or has it already?

Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.