Search

No more upgrades onboard

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No more upgrades onboard

With immediate effect you will not be able to pay onboard to upgrade.
BA will be encouraging passengers to upgrade before they fly. When we have our new dutyfree computors onboard there will be a review to see if upgrading onboard is to return.
CIHY
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Thanks for letting us know CIHY - suspect this isn't going to be greeted with much glee
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
After such a sparkling set of financials today, and a share price that has fallen off a cliff, it really doesn't surprise me that BA have decided to axe another revenue stream....
Once you have got on your 12hr long-haul flight in the cut-down 31" economy middle seat sat next to the passenger from hell with a one year old jumping up and down on the lap etc etc... you may just think it worth upgrading... can't go back to BA.com then, or the lounge.....
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
After such a sparkling set of financials today, and a share price that has fallen off a cliff, it really doesn't surprise me that BA have decided to axe another revenue stream....
Once you have got on your 12hr long-haul flight in the cut-down 31" economy middle seat sat next to the passenger from hell with a one year old jumping up and down on the lap etc etc... you may just think it worth upgrading... can't go back to BA.com then, or the lounge.....
Does seem odd.... have never done it myself (since it normally seems cheaper and I am more certain of actually getting a business class seat if I book one from the outset...), but would be surprised if there are many downsides to it being available...

...wonder if there will be last minute paid upgrades advertised/available at check-in? Presumably the biggest maket for these are people on company travel whose company makes them travel economy....

.... oh wait a minute, is this a reaction to more companies making their employees fly economy (if at all)? This change in companies' travel policies may make the demand for onboard upgrades increase? Not that stopping onboard upgrades is likely to have any affect on changing companies' travel policies (and hence increasing premium cabin bookings again....). I think that the only people to suffer will be the poor people travelling on "Y only" company travel policies... even less chance of getting an upgrade (unless they are op-uped...).

Interesting...

Boo
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It would seem to be just a administrative problem more than BA not wanting to allow it according to what Can I help you's says about the new computer coming.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
But they'll be happy to sell you 200 B&H's
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA : Virgin
Perfect - I know where this is going -- At airport + On Board Upgrade with MILES -- Perfect....
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks Can I help you for advising us.

I have not made use of this service, but there is/was always the possibility that I might have done this for some of the reasons mentioned by Skipcool3.

Seems quite short sighted and not too much of an administrative effort for the CSD, although I am happy to be corrected.

Hopefully this will be re considered when the new (hopefully working....!) duty free computers are introduced.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Quebec5
Perfect - I know where this is going -- At airport + On Board Upgrade with MILES -- Perfect....
That could be good.

Boo
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Thanks Can I help you for advising us.
Oooops, excuse my bad manners, yes, thank you

Always great to have someone like CIHY around to share news and insight, thank you

Boo
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:46 pm

I don't understand what this has got to do with computers. On both occasions when I bought upgrades from WT+ to CW on board, there was no computer anywhere to be seen. I signed a hand written form filled in by the CSD. Even my credit card details were merely filled in and my credit card wasn't swiped on any machine on board. Is this just an excuse so that they can fob people off in the hope it will be long forgotten by the time the new computers arrive?

It does after all seem ridiculous to me that there may be people sitting down the back with £600 to spend, and half empty CW cabin up front, and BA is going to say "sorry mate- keep youre £600 we don't want it, even though our profits have just plunged". You'd think they would want every penny they could get!
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by koksy
It does after all seem ridiculous to me that there may be people sitting down the back with £600 to spend, and half empty CW cabin up front, and BA is going to say "sorry mate- keep youre £600 we don't want it, even though our profits have just plunged". You'd think they would want every penny they could get!
Maybe it is a catering thing? Maybe BA are going to cut back further on the catering, making onboard upgrades nigh on impossible anyway? I know that onboard upgrades are "subject to catering being available", but maybe doing away with them altogether just takes the strain away from catering that they intend to cut back further anyway?

Ooops, I digress into conspiracy theories...

Boo
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Wouldn't it be great if we could upgrade at the gate or at the lounge with miles (similar to the LH system)
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:07 am

Programs: BA PREMIER, VS UNIQ
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Wouldn't it be great if we could upgrade at the gate or at the lounge with miles (similar to the LH system)
indeed and it works well with Virgin too
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Boo Boo
Maybe it is a catering thing? Maybe BA are going to cut back further on the catering, making onboard upgrades nigh on impossible anyway? I know that onboard upgrades are "subject to catering being available", but maybe doing away with them altogether just takes the strain away from catering that they intend to cut back further anyway

Boo
Emirates offers on board upgrades with cash or miles. They tell you before if catering is available. If not, they will give you your Y meal plated up. Up to you if you still want to upgrade.

If I was a BA shareholder I'd be miffed at this decision to axe a revenue stream.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.