Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Tier Point Runs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by NickB
I have not checked that particular fare but, IME, virtually all these cheap Mexico/Central America premium class fares on AA do not allow for stopovers so what you want to do is purely and simply not possible.
That's also been my experience but it might be worth asking.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:37 am

-

No replies
Removed

Last edited by Polomarc; Mar 2, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: BA, Delta
Originally Posted by NickB
I have not checked that particular fare but, IME, virtually all these cheap Mexico/Central America premium class fares on AA do not allow for stopovers so what you want to do is purely and simply not possible.
Weirdly - and I don't know if it's just a temporary promotion - I just managed to book what I wanted, with a stopover in LA for less than originally quoted. Pretty sure when I checked 3 weeks ago, it was several thousand more if I didn't connect straight through in LA... Now I'm doing:

JFK - LAX [5 day stopover] - SJD [4 days] - LAX - JFK for $1389 each... 560 tierpoints which will get me a long way to gold, and wifey to silver for the first time. Not quite as good value as 'purer' TP runs, but not bad for a holiday I was taking anyway. Doing it in economy would be $850, so the first class (business on the international) is coming pretty cheap. It still seems to be a K-UP fare (KME7UPV1) but it is letting me break for longer at LAX.

I had checked with AA customer service previously, who told me that if I booked the original flight, I could move one of the legs just for a $150 change fee, but they may have been wrong. NB, I also discovered that by coming back on a Monday, rather than a Sunday, I saved $300. Stuff to try just in case anyone tries to replicate something similar.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by AMB123
Weirdly - and I don't know if it's just a temporary promotion - I just managed to book what I wanted, with a stopover in LA for less than originally quoted. Pretty sure when I checked 3 weeks ago, it was several thousand more if I didn't connect straight through in LA... Now I'm doing:

JFK - LAX [5 day stopover] - SJD [4 days] - LAX - JFK for $1389 each... 560 tierpoints which will get me a long way to gold, and wifey to silver for the first time. Not quite as good value as 'purer' TP runs, but not bad for a holiday I was taking anyway. Doing it in economy would be $850, so the first class (business on the international) is coming pretty cheap. It still seems to be a K-UP fare (KME7UPV1) but it is letting me break for longer at LAX.

I had checked with AA customer service previously, who told me that if I booked the original flight, I could move one of the legs just for a $150 change fee, but they may have been wrong. NB, I also discovered that by coming back on a Monday, rather than a Sunday, I saved $300. Stuff to try just in case anyone tries to replicate something similar.
The ability to do a stopover on this type of itinerary all depends on the fare rules. For the one you have I believe it's a $100 fare increase for a stopover, which isn't too bad. The agent was correct about the $150 change fee, but be aware of two things:

1. You'll still have to pay any fare difference if there is one.

2. If you have to do this by phone then they may not rebook you into F with the KUP fare. AA's rather archaic fare rules allow for booking into three-class F on this route, and therefore aa.com allows boking into three-class F on this route but a reservations agent may well refuse to do it, calling it a mistake*. Whether it's a real mistake (like $3 F fares) or just something AA hasn't gone to the trouble of updating is all irrelevant if the agent refuses to do the booking as such.

*I have no experience personally with this, but it's something I think is well within the realm of possibility.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Has AA F had it's Tier Points reduced?

Just checked the TP Calculator for a future AA booking I have and it seems to no longer recognise First for AA Domestic flights. Get the response "The class of travel that you have selected is not available on this route. Please select a different class of travel."

TP Calculator works OK when I re-enter Class as "Business/Club", but a ORD-DFW-IAH run in AA F which was going to earn me 2 x 60 TP's, appears to be now only giving 2 x 40TP's.

I did the same route several times last year for 60 TP's per leg, and am pretty sure I priced it up a month or so ago at 60 TP's per leg. If true, this might indicate that BA now categorises AA Domestic F as equivalent to BA Club rather then BA First.

Can't find any other dialogue about it. Anyone know if there has been a recent change?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL
If this is an intentional change, it's a very recent one. I used the calculator for AA flights in F just a couple of days ago, and it gave 60 points for short flights and 210 for long ones, as expected.

I also flew MCO-JFK in F two weeks ago and the expected 60 TP posted to my account without issues.

EDIT: My guess is it's just a bug, possibly related to the problems people appear to be having with hotel and car bookings.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by JonV
If this is an intentional change, it's a very recent one. I used the calculator for AA flights in F just a couple of days ago, and it gave 60 points for short flights and 210 for long ones, as expected.

I also flew MCO-JFK in F two weeks ago and the expected 60 TP posted to my account without issues.
it was giving correct 60TP for me a couple of days ago as well, LAX-LAS and MCO-MIA

lets hope its a glitch, its giving DFW-SJU in First as 210TP and there isnt a First class on that flight!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat
lets hope its a glitch, its giving DFW-SJU in First as 210TP and there isnt a First class on that flight!
Yeah, I can see that too, but I've tried using quite a number of pairs of mainland cities, and what I first described shows up - TP Calculator doesn't give AA First = 60TP's any more.

Guess we'll find out in time. Hope I'm proved wrong.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pinkcat
it was giving correct 60TP for me a couple of days ago as well, LAX-LAS and MCO-MIA

I'm also thinking glitch. The error message thrown states that the "class of travel that you have selected is not available on this route." I've tested the SFO-JFK route, and the same error message appears. There is definitely a first-class cabin offered on this route with AA currently selling first-class tickets.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by loosehead
Just checked the TP Calculator for a future AA booking I have and it seems to no longer recognise First for AA Domestic flights...
Hi loosehead. It looks like a bug to me. I've cross posted your post onto the 'help for your BA.com issues' thread. Hopefully someone from BA will have a look and resolve it.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Hi loosehead. It looks like a bug to me. I've cross posted your post onto the 'help for your BA.com issues' thread. Hopefully someone from BA will have a look and resolve it.
Thanks Golfmad, bug/glitch would definitely be the preferred outcome, as I quite like using tickets with AA F segments.
I'll keep an eye out for any other posts. My next trip AA F trip is not till next month, so i'll post up here after that, unless it all becomes clear in the meantime.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by loosehead
Thanks Golfmad, bug/glitch would definitely be the preferred outcome, as I quite like using tickets with AA F segments.
I'll keep an eye out for any other posts. My next trip AA F trip is not till next month, so i'll post up here after that, unless it all becomes clear in the meantime.
For what it's worth, I received 60 TPs each for 4 F sectors a couple of weeks ago on AA so I really cannot imagine the policies have changed.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
So, you get 210TP for First >2000 miles and 60TP <2000 miles then?

Also, slightly off-topic, do redemption flights count towards your 4 flights on BA metal?
Contemplating using some miles to either go in First to BOS or the West Coast to maximise the experience and then straightaway, or within a few days, doing a couple of TP runs to make sure I requalify for silver / get TP towards Gold.
Only got the one BA flight at present and don't want to get 600TP and find I miss out due to only flying say 3 flights on BA metal.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by xenole
That's right, with the exception of LHR-DME which I believe is 210 despite being < 2000 miles, and I think it's 240 for over 6000 miles.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by xenole

Also, slightly off-topic, do redemption flights count towards your 4 flights on BA metal?
Contemplating using some miles to either go in First to BOS or the West Coast to maximise the experience and then straightaway, or within a few days, doing a couple of TP runs to make sure I requalify for silver / get TP towards Gold.
Only got the one BA flight at present and don't want to get 600TP and find I miss out due to only flying say 3 flights on BA metal.
No, redemption flights don't count towards anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.