Wiki Posts
Search

Pressing the flight attendant call button

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Pressing the flight attendant call button

I wonder just how many of us ever ring the call button nowadays because we would like a drink or a pillow or something else. And (particularly in economy) what the chances are of getting a response, or a response without a reprimand ?

Cabin crew service is so formatted nowadays, and when crew are not performing one of the formatted items they seem to always be on a break. The whole lot of them at once.

So who still does it. When did you last even see it done, on a BA aircraft. Has it gone along with the good times and the VC-10 ?

So the next question is, could the call bells be deleted, to save a bit in aircraft cost and maintenance ?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Have never pressed it in my life. I always get up and go to the galley if I need something (usually more water) - then again I always chose an aisle seat, so have easy egress.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: BA-blue :( sad times
Originally Posted by WHBM
I wonder just how many of us ever ring the call button nowadays because we would like a drink or a pillow or something else. And (particularly in economy) what the chances are of getting a response, or a response without a reprimand ?

Cabin crew service is so formatted nowadays, and when crew are not performing one of the formatted items they seem to always be on a break. The whole lot of them at once.

So who still does it. When did you last even see it done, on a BA aircraft. Has it gone along with the good times and the VC-10 ?

So the next question is, could the call bells be deleted, to save a bit in aircraft cost and maintenance ?

I have never done it - I would feel too ashamed too.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Only when they make an announcement like, "If there is a Mr Edi-traveller on board today would he please make himself known to the cabin crew?"

Otherwise I don't bother as they never come to find out what you want.

However I think the cabin crew use them - say I ask for a refill coffee - they sometimes turn on the light to remind them which row.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:34 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
In premium classes, I've not had a problem pressing it (and never had problem getting an immediate response - admittedly, I don't press it in the middle of a meal service and expect someone to come running over...)

In economy, no, I've only ever pressed in the case of having to identify myself (left something at the gate, hadn't expected me to transfer, felt like upgrading me, rerouted me direct instead of via CDG, etc, etc) and in the case of medical problems (myself and others...)

The most impressive was my (once in a lifetime for the likes of me) experience in SQ F, where the bells are utterly redundant. You just have to look around, and there's at least one person heading in your direction.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:52 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by WHBM

I flew back from MEL-LHR in Y a couple of years back on BA and the group of 3 seats I was in had electrical problems - both the reading lights and crew call light were permenantly illuminated and couldn't be turned off. I swear we must've had every single member of crew ask us 'How they could help' at least twice - I was impressed at first but after 5 times it became slightly infuriating explaining the situation! The only thing I could fault them for was not communicating with each other but they were certainly eager to respond.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
At first I didn't press it. If I'm sat in the C seat, I will get up to the galley and ask for another drink, etc. However if I am trapped in seat A with someone I don't know in C (usually the case) I have no qualms about pressing it, especially if the crew haven't made an appearance for 10 minutes or so and I need another Champagne!
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:07 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by flyclub
At first I didn't press it. If I'm sat in the C seat, I will get up to the galley and ask for another drink, etc. However if I am trapped in seat A with someone I don't know in C (usually the case) I have no qualms about pressing it, especially if the crew haven't made an appearance for 10 minutes or so and I need another Champagne!
I had to go up to the galley on a recent trip for a further Monopole; I think it was a "walk along this line, sir" type test to see if I was OK to have another...(I passed easily and was rewarded!). I've only pressed the button on rare occasions; e.g. whilst taxiing out to the runway when I noticed the divider had detached from one side
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Naughty boys! The call buttons are there for us to ding so that we can wave the coffee pots around and signal that lunch is ready. What gave you the silly idea that we come at your back and call? We train our cabin staff to say "YES??! What now?!!£ Sigh shrug our shoulder and stomp. (That's it DEar now swish that curtain - that's it good girl - let them know we're here to give them what we like when we feel good and ready to do so and not before! What next?!

No seriously - you must use the Call Bell - if no one comes chime it again in a double chime plus one more like the Avon lady and make sure that the light is on. We don't always hear in the galley with the chillers, the ovens, and our gossip and chatter! So do it again. You must drink and we never mind - that is what we are here for. If someone minds - tell the Purser - if she is funny tell the CSD. The bell is there for a reason, please use it. Please do not poke us, prod us, or - as someone tried the other day - snap your fingers.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What gave you the silly idea that we come at your back and call?
Possibly the fact that the call button manufacturer puts a stylised flight attendant-with-drink-on-tray marking on it - even in economy.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I always walk down to the Galley for extra drinks (and Mini Cheddars when available). However, on my recent flights from LHR-JNB and back (at the back) I did notice several people in the cabin regularly pressing the call button for extra drinks (usually alcoholic) and the FAs were more than happy to oblige.

Regards
I
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, QF.
Originally Posted by stut
In premium classes, I've not had a problem pressing it (and never had problem getting an immediate response - admittedly, I don't press it in the middle of a meal service and expect someone to come running over...)

In economy, no, I've only ever pressed in the case of having to identify myself (left something at the gate, hadn't expected me to transfer, felt like upgrading me, rerouted me direct instead of via CDG, etc, etc) and in the case of medical problems (myself and others...)

The most impressive was my (once in a lifetime for the likes of me) experience in SQ F, where the bells are utterly redundant. You just have to look around, and there's at least one person heading in your direction.
I had to smile when I read this, because it mirrors my own experience in SQ J. On one flight, I was just wondering if the toilet was free, and twisted around in my seat to have a look. The flight attendant was standing just beside the Gentleman's Comfort Station, and seeing my enquiring gaze, smiled and opened the door for me. How did she know I wanted a whizz rather than a drink? Seemed like magic.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

ping, ping.... pssst, psssssssst..... oi! oi!..... peanuts!

Am I alone here but this thread is bringing on flash backs of an Ad Fab episode featuring the outrageous antics of Eddie and Patsy on board a BA flight bound for Paris - involving call buttons, stock piling of vodka, gin and champagne and culminating with Patsy taking off after a unsuspecting young gent into the little room up front.

Last edited by GregM; Jun 27, 2005 at 3:18 pm Reason: got distracted mid-post - added title
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I don't make a habit of using it but do occassionally...
Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Have used it a couple of times now. First when I was in F on the way back from LAX and gasping for a drink in the middle of the 'night'. More recently on what was quite possibly my worst BA flight (in economy.... so it really must have been bad) where the member of cabin crew first 'forgot' to serve the meals to 2 rows and then 'forgot' to bring round the wine to go with it.... oh and then forgot about coffee...............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.