Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2003, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Executive Club Changes

Details of the new global executive club are now on line at http://www.britishairways.com/executiveclubchanges/
Old Feb 28, 2003, 4:47 am

so, in summary it's going to cost you more miles to fly anywhere.....more tier points to move up a level...but you can trade in miles for upgrades. also you get tier points on some flights where you'd have got nothing before (some economy and domestic classes).

not sure if it's all that positive really.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 4:50 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
OK then, they have made it easier to get to Gold by 200 points but harder to retain it by 300
Ther first upgrade voucher for 2 requires and extra 100 points but at least you get another after another 1000.

Time to read this in more detail!
Old Feb 28, 2003, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are some gains. Travelling EU Club flights now requires 600 / 40 = 15 sectors to attain/retain silver compared to 700 / 30 = 24 to attain and 600 / 30 = 20 to retain, so this is a gain for those who travel primarily business and eligable economy short haul.

What will they count AA short flights for points earning potential. Currently a 1st class AA flight earns 45 points . In the new table there is no applicable entry. I assume that they arn't going to give out 180 tier credits for a 500 mile flight on AA 1st ( even though that would seem to be a fair payout for having to travel aa ) and 1st class short haul lists as a N/A

The loss of K class earning in the US, the new ,far higher points redemption costs and the drop from 100% miles to 25% miles for GKMNSV booking classes do not seem to make it that appealing for those in the US scheme. From 100% miles to 25% and tier credit earning to no tier credit earning for K seems a huge minus

Another example of a minus. roundtrip US-Australia 1st class was available (using QF) at 125K , now it looks like it will cost 420K (3 * 140)

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Noble (edited 02-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dave Noble (edited 02-28-2003).]
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:00 am

Some more quick observations:

No longer do you get 3x miles for F tix just 2x
No longer do you get a partner silver card at 3600
You now only get 80 points RT for a UK scandanavia/Spain/Itlay.... trip not 120 but but you do get 80 instead of 60 for a short EU flight. (All numbers reflect c)

More mileage required for East cost flights.

I think I am going to be very sad now and work out in excel how this would have changed my mileage/point earning on the last 12 months spend
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:01 am

Programs: Various
So for a reward flight on Concorde is now 200K BA Miles? An increase of 40K? Oh great!

And there's me saving up my miles for another reward flight on Concorde.

Just a quick question - is it possible to do a split class resv. i.e out R back F?

Thanks,
Richard

Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:05 am

And all the talk we've seen here that the new EC setup will be more open to eco flyers has been disproved; fewer eco farees (Y, B, and H) will now earn tier points (no more K), and only full fare eco tickets will earn full mileage; discounted eco fares will only early 25%. Obviously BA is reaffirming the Ayling message: if you fly economy for the most part, your patronage is not required. Thanks BA: after a dozen or more years of loyalty, I'll switch to another airline.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:12 am

"And all the talk we've seen here that the new EC setup will be more open to eco flyers has been disproved; fewer eco farees (Y, B, and H) will now earn tier points (no more K), and only full fare eco tickets will earn full mileage;

That depends on where you were based. For UK members , it is more open since only Y ( and some B ) were eligable before , so for those based there, it is more open.

discounted eco fares will only early 25%

B and H still earn 100%

Dave
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
There are some gains. Travelling EU Club flights now requires 600 / 40 = 15 sectors to attain/retain silver compared to 700 / 30 = 24 to attain and 600 / 30 = 20 to retain, so this is a gain for those who travel primarily business and eligable economy short haul. </font>
But a HUGE loss for thos biz travels who flew the longer EU routes that used to get you 120 points so only 10 returns to keep Gold. Now you only get 80 points and require 1600 points so you need 20 returns.

Who is this product aimed at???

Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:14 am

"No longer do you get a partner silver card at 3600"

You don't? I assumed that this was a standardisation. According to the US info, you now get a silver card at 3500. If anyone wants to email it or give me the URL, i'd be interested to see the UK pdf file to compare against the US one which I have

Dave
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:17 am

Looking at the new scheme, it would seem to me that the QF scheme is now far better for accruing BA points to for a lot of people.

Dave
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
"No longer do you get a partner silver card at 3600"

You don't? I assumed that this was a standardisation. According to the US info, you now get a silver card at 3500. If anyone wants to email it or give me the URL, i'd be interested to see the UK pdf file to compare against the US one which I have

Dave
</font>
What PDF??

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Based on customer feedback, the Silver partner card will be removed </font>
Not my wife's feedback

[This message has been edited by CT-UK (edited 02-28-2003).]
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:22 am
dnw

Looking at this quickly it seems they have combined the worse aspects of the two biggest programs:

-The higher award rates of the UK program
-The lower mileage earning of the US program

and they've thrown in greatly reduced tier points for longer flights (no 80 to the west coast, no 60 for long euro-flights).

And lets not even start on u**grades... if I read it right, you can do it from J/C/D/I?? so we'll have all the people buying elcheapo I-class sat in F??

dnw
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:24 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I agree with Dave, go for QF. Advantage of the BA scheme still is more miles for F & J, though this has been reduced somewhat.

I thought BA may introduce a ruby tier ... and align with other programs on the silver / plainum designation.

I see this is going to be a very hot topic on the BA board. I'm going for at least 50 posts by the end of today ... anyone care to take a bet ?
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:25 am

I wonder who this new scheme is aimed at? What's the point of making the rules that much more draconian? Giving little or no miles to the members of the UK scheme never made much sense (other than in terms of the tradition of always making things more difficult for UK based people), but doing the same to North American members will really sharply differentiate BA from all the other carriers serving the Americas, and will surely deprive BA of customer loyalty from all but a relatively tiny minority of North American fliers; even those whose companies pay for most of their travel occasionally travel on their own or with their families and pay out of pocket, and surely they're not going to want to face such harsh terms (like essentially not earning miles for eco travel when traveling with their favorite airline). Making it more difficult to earn elite status is one thing; making it difficult or insanely expensive to earn mileage at all is quite another, and will now completely alienate those who would have been willing to stick with BA even without elite privileges.

[This message has been edited by prof (edited 02-28-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.